Author Topic: Puppy feeding  (Read 444 times)

Offline Millies_Mum

Puppy feeding
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:49:03 AM »
Morning all,

I know this question has probably been asked about 101 times, but thought I'd get the most up to date advice from the experts here at CoL!

Millie our little girl (working breed) is fast approaching 6 months, and has been fed puppy pro plan since being with the breeder, which was  continued when she was with her 1st mummy and daddy, who, sadly for them didn't have the time to spend with our hyper little scamp due to work commitments. Although much to our delight and pleasure she has become one of our family very quickly!

However, although only being with us a week or so, and settling in fantastically since day 1, she is being fed 3 times a day on her pro plan but is still always looking for food, is this just a normal puppy thing or may I be right in thinking that the pro plan is just not satisfying her needs??  She does have the occasional "treat" and her kong filled with the kong biscuit if we leave her for an hour, but every time we go to the kitchen she follows us and promptly parks herself in front of her bowl or the cupboard where her food is kept as if looking for more!  She is on 75g 3 times a day which should be sufficient according to the guide on the bag.

I have been reading with much interest the views on different food and thought that as she was approaching the 6 months mark it may be time to consider introducing (slowly) a food which may be more suitable and satisfying for our little girl!

Any and all advice would be much appreciated on different brands, we just want the best for our little girl and I feel so guilty when she looks at me with the puppy dog eyes as if pleading with mummy to give her more food  (we have even gone so far as to put a little chart inside the cupboard door to tick if she has been fed so that hubby and I don't give her a meal twice ... or is this just a ploy on her part??!!)

Sorry for the war & peace post!

Heather & the ever hungry Millie!

Offline Anita D

• Dog Walker Cheltenham & Tewkesbury
Re: Puppy feeding
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »
Following to the kitchen and looking as though they are half starved is normal in our house.  Both of my workers are fed plenty but always belt through to the kitchen if either of us heads that way in case we might have forgotten to feed them and feed them again!!! :lol2:
Dog Walker in Cheltenham & Tewkesbury.  Owned by Paddy & Fergus

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: Puppy feeding
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »
Normal puppy behaviour, maybe her last owners gave her scraps in between meals so she has come to expect them (bad habit). It sounds like she is having enough food.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010