Author Topic: 13 Week Old Puppy  (Read 2631 times)

Offline shimsham

13 Week Old Puppy
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
Hi Everyone. Looking for some advise about my Cocker puppy,can anyone advise how to feed a puppy this age, i bought a book called "Collins Cocker Spaniel Owners Guide" by Lesley Scott-Ordish his/her advise is to feed a puppy 2-4 months old 4 cans [400g] plus 4oz biscuit divided into 4 meals daily,can anyone tell me if they think this is correct because it does seem to a large amount for a young pup.

Sandra   :huh:

Offline maddy74

Re: 13 Week Old Puppy
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:05:33 PM »
Thats sounds far too much, what food is your pup on already.... we have a 13 month old cocker and we give her 3 meals a day of 75grams a time dried kibble.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:06:04 PM »
It really depends on what you are feeding.
Did your breeder not give you a diet care sheet outlining what your pup would need over the next few weeks?  That is generally geared to the food your pup will have been on at the breeders, so should be your best source of information (assuming you haven't changed foods).  If you have changed foods, there should be feeding guidelines on the packet of what you are feeding....
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline maddy74

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »
PS i think when we had Willow at 8 weeks she was feed about 30g each four times a day (ish) whatever food she is on now should give you a guide on the packaging to the feeding amount depending on the size of the pup.

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »
Tilly is 13 weeks and is on 160g arden grange dry food split between 4 meals(recommended on the packaging)....sometimes has a little chicken or sardine mixed in at 3rd meal

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline shimsham

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »
Thank you all for input,we have had dogs all our married life but never a cocker, at the moment she is on breakfast either a scrambled egg or cereal with milk,bakers kibble all day,and half a tin of butchers tinned dog meat at night.

Sandra

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
Thank you all for input,we have had dogs all our married life but never a cocker, at the moment she is on breakfast either a scrambled egg or cereal with milk,bakers kibble all day,and half a tin of butchers tinned dog meat at night.

Sandra

Hi Sandra

I would not feed cereal at all as some dogs can be allergic to grain. Bakers is certainly not the best food and what do you mean by all day?
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »
Hi Everyone. Looking for some advise about my Cocker puppy,can anyone advise how to feed a puppy this age, i bought a book called "Collins Cocker Spaniel Owners Guide" by Lesley Scott-Ordish his/her advise is to feed a puppy 2-4 months old 4 cans [400g] plus 4oz biscuit divided into 4 meals daily,can anyone tell me if they think this is correct because it does seem to a large amount for a young pup.

That's quite an old book written when a lot more pet owners fed canned dog food - canned food often contains large quantities of water so the 400g weight wouldn't have actually amounted to that much "real food".

As others have said, it really depends on what you are feeding and on your puppy as to how much to feed - if you have a look around the Feeding board you'll find quite a few recommendations for good puppy foods (sadly Bakers is one of the worst for quality of ingredients)
Jane

Offline shimsham

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
Hi LynneB. By all day i mean there is a bowl of bakers kimble there and she can have it when ever she needs it,could you recommend a good diet for jessie for me as i want her to grow in a good healthy way.

Sandra

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 06:33:49 PM »
Hi LynneB. By all day i mean there is a bowl of bakers kimble there and she can have it when ever she needs it,could you recommend a good diet for jessie for me as i want her to grow in a good healthy way.

Sandra

Hi Sandra My dogs are fed a raw diet so I would find it difficult to recommend anything other. However allowing a dog to "graze" all day is not recommended.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 06:38:17 PM »
Sandra have a look at this web site

http://naturaldogfoodcompany.com/
mine have this as there is no added cereal etc and both are doing really well on it, also there is James wellbeloved, burns and loads of others but I would definatly not give bakers (sorry)

Dianne x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline shimsham

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 08:22:14 PM »
Hi Diana. Binned the bakers,going to my local pets at home tomorrow am, ordered a couple of bags of james wellbeloved puppy kimble,could you just tell me if ordinary tinned dog food is ok for her,we tried butchers puppy tinned meat but she would not eat that.

Sandra.     ;)

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
JWB Kibble is a complete food so you would not normally need to mix it with tinned dog meat. It's not the same as the old-style dog mixer.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 09:22:59 PM »
Sandra if it was me I would only give her the JWB kibble (remember to mix it gradually with the bakers to ween her off the bakers or she might get an upset tummy) on the bag of JWB it will tell you how much to feed her per day. I wouldn't leave an all day bowl down for her as cockers are prone to putting on too much weight (not all but some are foodies) Just give your little one the kibble from now on and try not to give her milk some pups can't tolerate it good luck with the kibble  ;) x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
I sometimes mix a little chicken or sardines in with Tilly's kibble but only occassionally and adjust the amout of kibble accordingly

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet