Author Topic: Change puppy food?  (Read 515 times)

Offline Alex85

Change puppy food?
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »
Hi everyone, you all seem very clued up on feeding issues, so I hope you can give me some advice.

Pippa is 14 weeks now, and she came to us on Pedigree, which we changed to Clinivet (we live in Ireland, I'm not sure if its available anywhere else). Her poos improved straight away, but she always seems to be hungry. I know cockers can be greedy little things, especially puppies, but she goes absolutely crazy at feeding time, like she hasn't been fed for weeks, and then when we are eating she tries to get our food as well. She is getting fed 3 times a day, at the maximum recommended amount.

This, as well as the fact that she gets really hyper and crazy after she has eaten, and that she has really smelly wind, makes me wonder if she would do better on a different brand.

The composition of her food at the moment is: poultry meal (min. 37%), brown rice (min. 24%), poultry fat (min. 10%), maize, oats, sugar beet pulp, brewers yeast, herring meal, linseed, egg powder, minerals, salmon oil, vitamins... and then a list of very long words :)

Is this a decent composition? I thought it seemed fairly alright, but I am a total newbie so I could be way off.

Is it normal for pups to go mental after food, or does the type of food they have make a difference?

Offline minimoo

• Donator
Re: Change puppy food?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »
ive never heard of clinivet, but its pretty normal for a puppy to be hyper every so often she is only very young and hasnt yet learned any manners, does she feel thin or ok, i have had mine on jameswellbeloved puppy food , and then move onto an adult hypoallergenic food when they are old enough there are plenty out there as well as jameswellbeloved , you can always look on the feeding posts on COL to give you some idea
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy