Author Topic: Still having problems with crate training during day  (Read 813 times)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Still having problems with crate training during day
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:56:05 PM »
I'm still having problems with the day-time crate training with Henry (15 weeks) - any tips on it? I don't want him to get separation anxiety and I want to be able to go out for a couple of hours without worrying that he's barking the neighbourhood down.

If I put him in the crate he usually gets a bit upset and barks, and sometimes doesn't stop (sometimes he does). A couple of times he wet himself and I realised that I hadn't put him out for a while, so he just needed to wee, so I've tried to take him out first and then put him in the crate. If he's really sleepy it's fine, but if not he just doesn't really want to settle.

I left him with my parents today (social arrangement of 2 hours involved about 4 hours on train!) and my dad left him uncrated but behind closed door for a while and he said he barked for a bit and then settled down to sleep.

I haven't tried a stuffed kong yet - I don't really understand how to do it, as the kibble I have wouldn't stay in - presumably you have to seal it with some moist food like cheese in a tube (not keen on giving him that!).

He also gets really hot in his crate and just wants to sleep on the kitchen floor, so I feel that it's a bit cruel to shut him in the crate. He's fine at night (wakes up to go to the loo but usually is okay about being put back in there early in the morning until about 7am).

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Offline Evadee

Re: Still having problems with crate training during day
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »
Sorry to hear your having a few problems.

He's only 15 weeks so don't despair.  I think the main thing is to try to stay consistent.  We built up the time in the crates from literally a few minutes at a time.  You should only let him out when he is quiet (even if he's just quiet for a few seconds) otherwise he will learn that barking and crying get him out of the crate and keep doing it.

I have only used kibble in the kongs, what size do you have for him?  yes the kibble does fall out a bit but you can pack it a bit tighter or use some moist food to seal the top.

Are you treating him every time single he goes in the crate, even for a few minutes, I would do this even if it is just a couple of pieces of kibble.  He should start to see the crate as a good thing, if he likes his food  ;)

Our Jake always pushes the bedding out of the way in his crate, he seems to like sleeping on the bare plastic crate base, he gets warm too and always finds the cool spots on a warm day. Maybe try less bedding?

Hope it gets easier soon for you  ;)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
We found that when Riley seen the stuffed frozen kong , he would run into his crate as he knew it was the only time he really got it. i watched him go at it, oblivious to the fact we were going out the door, I think he worked at the kong for so long that he was shattered and fell asleep, not sure if he barked a bit , dont suppose you will ever know unless the neighbours say .
I dont put kibble in , as you say it would fall out too easy.

I bought fish4dogs salmon mousse, it comes in handy little pouches, I put a spoonfull of that in the kong, then some grated carrot, then another spoonfull of mousse , layering it. I freeze it and take it out about 30 mins before we go out, its still quite frozen but he licks and licks and manages to get most of it.  Riley is VERY greedy though and VERY food orientated.
Henry is still very young, dont worry.

Offline **purpleprincess**

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:07:54 AM »
If you wanted to stuff the kong with his kibble, you could soak it in hot water so that it's a bit more malleable and will squidge into the kong. That way it won't fall out, or you could mix it with some fish/paste/mousse and stuff it in there.

I have to say that I no longer shut Luca in a crate in the day, and the neighbours are very glad of it  :005: I leave the crate in the kitchen with the door open and then shut the kitchen with a babygate. Luca can be left quite happily like this, he likes to wander in and out of the crate and likes to sleep on the kitchen floor. He likes to play around and plays with his toys and treat ball. It may be different in the winter though, he may prefer to sleep in the crate. But for my own sanity I decided just to go with it and it's fine. He'll now even take himself off to the kitchen in the evening if he wants a little sleep whereas he didn't before.

We did want to use the crate as we've seen and heard how useful it is, but it's just easier for us and him (and the neighbours) doing it the way we do now.
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »
I tried the kong stuffed with a few kibble earlier and he couldn't get them out and just started barking with frustration - maybe he's not very bright! I guess if there was something soft to lick in the inside it would help. Will try the hot water trick to soften them.

He's happily in his crate right now after a big play session earlier in the park with another puppy (and affenpinscher - funny things!) and I even popped out for 5 minutes with no trouble. He's been in there for about half an hour with a few whines but is now zonked.

I'm also feeding him in the crate now so hopefully he'll have more and more good associations with it.
Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

Offline **purpleprincess**

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »
I tried the kong stuffed with a few kibble earlier and he couldn't get them out and just started barking with frustration - maybe he's not very bright! I guess if there was something soft to lick in the inside it would help. Will try the hot water trick to soften them.

He's happily in his crate right now after a big play session earlier in the park with another puppy (and affenpinscher - funny things!) and I even popped out for 5 minutes with no trouble. He's been in there for about half an hour with a few whines but is now zonked.

I'm also feeding him in the crate now so hopefully he'll have more and more good associations with it.
Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

Bless him! Luca barks at things he doesn't understand too!

Sounds as though he'll be fine and you're both doing great!
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)