Author Topic: Worst. Walk. Ever.  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Worst. Walk. Ever.
« on: September 23, 2012, 11:39:05 AM »
So the rain didn't help. Nor did the fact that I set off knowing that I left Archie's equafleece at my mums yesterday. We had a pretty uneventful but soggy stroll up the hill. I grabbed half a pound of sloes of the way while pooch pottered in and out of the woods. So far so normal. On the way back, right at the end of the field, just before the stile (with lift up doggy gate) and before he has to be re-leaded for entry into the churchyard, his nibs disappeared into the hedge. He emerged with a massive mixi rabbit in his mouth.  >:D >:D I knew I had to stay calm and show no interest at all or he would guard it. I walked on and raised the doggy gate and called him. FAT chance. He stood, 10ft away from the gate just standing over the poor rabbit. I called, I bribed. Nothing. I tried to get near him to put his lead on but he ran away with his prize. No growling which is a step up but frustrating like you wouldn't believe..... (did I mention the rain?) I spent nearly 40 mins trying to get him to come to me. Eventually he stood at the gate and let me put his lead on but he still had the rabbit. Halfway through the cemetery he decided to bury it under a tree. As I walked past he growled and snapped so I took my chance and pulled him away while his mouth was empty. I honestly thought he would be bringing his prize home. I was on the verge of tears but desperately trying to stay calm and not tell him off once he no longer had it. The worst thing of all (and I am sorry to report this bit) was that the poor rabbit remained alive throughout its ordeal. I am now thinking whats the point of all that training when he just ignores it when you need it most.  >:D >:D
Next stop, gundog training I think.  >:(

Offline Abbi

Re: Worst. Walk. Ever.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
Oh no I feel for you. Darcie hasn't, touch wood, caught anything live like that yet, but I know that the time will probably come and I'm not sure I'll be good at dealing with it and know that she will be just like Archie with it. I know it sounds pathetic but I don't do dead wildlife very well. Today there was a dead bird out on the lawn and she picked it up. I had just got out of the shower could hear OH was trying to get her to "drop". He did get it off her in the end with bribery but not sure I would have been any good.

I have been reading your other posts about Archie and think you have done so well so please don't feel like it's not been worth it. Think the miserable weather and turning cold starts to make everything seem worse.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 01:14:49 PM »
Poor you - it must have been a nightmare, puts my walk with Ozzy this morning into perspective!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »
I am sooo sorry to do this but ..... :rofl1: :rofl1:

I can just imagine it all.

Pat x

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »
Sorry I also had a sneaky  :005: :005: :005:   :-* :-*

I can remember charlie getting a baby mixi rabbit and refusing to drop it. When he finally lost interest I thought millie might finish the poor creature off but she just licked it's eyes  :020: ph34r

It sounds like you have made huge progress with Archie so don't be too disheartened x.

Millie

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 06:13:44 PM »
Oh dear, poor you! I really feel for you (and the poor little mixi rabbit  :'(). We had a pretty annoying walk today too when Penny sodded off after a pheasant, and refused to come back despite whistle and calling. At least she didn't catch it, but I thought I was never going to get her back. Eventually my son in law grabbed her and I had to put her on the lead for the rest of the walk. It would have been much worse if I'd been alone.

I think these cocker youngsters are at the adolescent age where they really push the boundaries in a different way from when they were puppies. I remember it in my previous dogs too. We just have to live through it I suppose.  >:D >:D

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
I just love hearing about Archie - I know he can be a little  >:D but I think he's  :luv:  :luv:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »
I just love hearing about Archie - I know he can be a little  >:D but I think he's  :luv:  :luv:

This morning I could happily have packed his suitcase and sent him to you  :005:  ;) I've just realised today is his gotcha day. He's certainly been celebrating in style.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »
We had cockers to brighten up our life, give us unconditional love and make us laugh!

They do not disappoint to they??  :luv: :luv:

Pat

Offline Pippaloo

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »
Glad to hear someone else had the same problem. My Darcy caught one last week and actually killed it (A good thing for the poor rabbit ) At least I managed to get hold of her and get her to leave it eventually. She is really playing me up lately at the end of our walks,and if subterfuge fails I have to rugby tackle her. All this and she actually passed her Gold Good Citizen test last week at 11 months,. Think I should give it back.
Her recall during the walk is good,we drop to the whistle and play retrieving but am afraid squirrels are her downfall,They blow a switch in her head and she is off !!! She has even run across roads. Help.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 11:26:24 AM »
All this and she actually passed her Gold Good Citizen test last week at 11 months,. Think I should give it back.

:005: :005:

I remember when Jinley was at dog training and the instructor borrowed her to demonstrate walking to heel.  Well! You would have thought she was in the ring at Crufts, jogging right next to her leg looking up at her!!!

She was handed back to me and I could almost see in her eyes the "Thats it done it now - dont ever need to do it again".  And she hasnt! >:( >:(

We havent caught a rabbit yet, I dont think she can move fast enough, although she loves rolling in the dead mice at my daughters that the cat has bought home and left in the field.  >:D >:D

Pat

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 12:31:45 PM »
 :bigarmhug:
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 11:34:07 PM »

This morning I could happily have packed his suitcase and sent him to you  :005:  ;) I've just realised today is his gotcha day. He's certainly been celebrating in style.

Happy gotcha day Archie :banana:  way to celebrate!!  He is such an adorable boy :luv:  they do know how to test our boundaries though :shades:

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »
When Spike (lab) was 6 months old he chased and caught a rabbit (he's never been so successful since!)I tried to get the rabbit from him for  20 minutes and was quite frankly ready to get in  the car and leave him there, I was so fed up with him!Eventually I was able to prise the dead rabbit from between his jaws and could have quite cheerfully have massacred him into the bargain!! :lol2:

Nowadays sadly the only rabbits he can catch are either very sick or very  dead!! He dived in the hedge the other day and produced a large fit looking rabbit; rigor mortis had set in and it was stiff as a board.....he was as pleased as punch withit though!!
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »
Its very natural behavior for cockers  to try/ catch a rabbit unless you have spent a lot of time in a rabbit pen training not to peg.

Most cockers are really soft mouthed so any rabbits pegged can be released unharmed the trick is having them retrieve them straight to you.

I would suggest a bit of semi gundog training if you walk your dogs where they are liable to catch rabbits.

A dummy wrapped in rabbit fur and a few retrieves every other day for a few weeks with a high value treat as a reward then progress to a fresh dead rabbit  then if your dog does peg a rabbit it will retrieve to you and you will be able to release the rabbit.
This will also help with the guarding issues.
Best put the dog on a lead before releasing the rabbit or chances are they will go and chase it again.

I forgot to add 13 week old Teal flushed her first rabbit this saturday, luckily there was a large piece a perspex between her and the rabbit as we were in Pets at Home.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly