Author Topic: Rescue Cocker with fear agression problems  (Read 1243 times)

Offline x Denise x

• Molly & Joey
Rescue Cocker with fear agression problems
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:16:32 PM »
Hello I'm new, and have a few questions regarding my New addition 6year old blue roan cocker spaniel. I Rescued him in June this yr  and he has aggression problems regarding all dogs he also doesn't like children very much either and his behaviour is very unpredictable. He can't be trusted to walk past anyone really without barking and lunging. For this reason i put a muzzle on him on walks just in case....  He is absolutely fine with my Springer , and he is a lovely loving dog and loves everybody indoors. The minute he goes outside he transforms into  a very angry dog. I had one to one personal training as i cant get him to a class because of his aggression. It was helpful  but didn't change his out look. He has bitten  his previous owners so i know he can bite.  I have managed to find some where to take him where there were no one and no other dogs and for a few weeks we had him off lead having the time of his life no muzzle no lead , his recall was perfect  all was looking good for while.  Then total out of the blue on the way home on a walk on his lead he bit a man's jacket as we tried to cross the road.  The guy was a bit to close for comfort but no excuse for Joey's actions. So he's back on the lead with his muzzle on.  The lead and muzzle  just seem to magnify his behaviour but off lead is just not being responsible..  Any ideas ?   as i don't want to stop taking him out altogether but that's how i feel sometimes , in doors he's the perfect dog. Thanks Denise

Offline aqualiv

Re: Rescue Cocker with fear agression problems
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:52:29 PM »
Sorry I haven't got any advice, just thought I would reply as I have a similar problem with my blue roan bitch. She has excellent recall and is great off the lead as long as a stranger does not try to stroke her or dogs dont try to play with her, then she will show aggression.
She is also unpredictable if people she doesn't know come round, so I ensure she is out of the way, which can get very restricting.
Well done you for taking him on and i will watch this thread with interest.
Cocker Spaniels are like beer...you have one ...then another...then another...then another...!

Offline x Denise x

• Molly & Joey
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »
Thank you for replying , if you could take your dogs out without having to worry about everbody else. Ive told so many people no don't try to stroke him he's unpredictable and they think they know best. I want to give Joey the Good life he deserves but im finding it difficult . My springer who i had from a pup has never had a single problem loves all people and all dogs can take her any where. I wanted another dog to enrich the dogs life and ours. They are like Chalk and Cheese. But i love them both so much.

Offline aqualiv

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »
I have the same problem, she looks so cute that people try to stroke her, but I just firmly say ' no sorry she isn't friendly' and they seem to listen.
Cocker Spaniels are like beer...you have one ...then another...then another...then another...!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »
I cannot give you behavioural advice but I do have a suggestion. I have bought Brodie a vest with 'Please Give Me Space' written on it and would really recommend it:

For Brodie, it is to try and stop people letting their dogs running up to her while she is on her lead, and it would be perfect for your boy, I think. I got it from http://www.freckles-designs.co.uk/dog-coats/4564894738

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 04:34:24 PM »

My only reason for this response is that I thought dogs with behaverial issues weren't supposed to be released from kennels!

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an answer for your problem.

Mel.

Offline x Denise x

• Molly & Joey
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
I cannot give you behavioural advice but I do have a suggestion. I have bought Brodie a vest with 'Please Give Me Space' written on it and would really recommend it:

For Brodie, it is to try and stop people letting their dogs running up to her while she is on her lead, and it would be perfect for your boy, I think. I got it from http://www.freckles-designs.co.uk/dog-coats/4564894738

Love this Idea will definitely look into getting one of these. I was also Told you can tie a yellow ribbon to your lead to let others know you have a dog  that may be not friendly but i don't think enough people know about it for it to work. Thanks for this idea Denise

Offline x Denise x

• Molly & Joey
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »

My only reason for this response is that I thought dogs with behaverial issues weren't supposed to be released from kennels!

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an answer for your problem.

Mel.

I don't think they were going to release Joey at 1st. The Previous owner said he was to dangerous. But the kennels kept him for a few days with other dogs and said  they didnt think he was half as bad as the owner  had made out. He was ok with My dog and family for a few days then he just went a bit mad at another dog on a walk 1st time id actually seen it..Im hoping with enough Love and training we can get him right. because he really is a lovely dog.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 05:01:23 PM »
Love this Idea will definitely look into getting one of these. I was also Told you can tie a yellow ribbon to your lead to let others know you have a dog  that may be not friendly but i don't think enough people know about it for it to work. Thanks for this idea Denise

The yellow ribbon campaign is quite new I think so, as you say, there may not be that many people that know about it.  Details here though:

http://www.gulahund.se/default_en.asp

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/yellow-ribbon-leash-dogs-campaign

The coat is a great idea - there can be no doubt about what that means!
Julie and Watson

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 05:08:22 PM »
Love this Idea will definitely look into getting one of these. I was also Told you can tie a yellow ribbon to your lead to let others know you have a dog  that may be not friendly but i don't think enough people know about it for it to work. Thanks for this idea Denise

The yellow ribbon campaign is quite new I think so, as you say, there may not be that many people that know about it.  Details here though:

I have shared a photo from the Fb page onto mine - if everyone who is on FB does the same it might get around a bit quicker.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »

I have shared a photo from the Fb page onto mine - if everyone who is on FB does the same it might get around a bit quicker.

True, but I am not convinced that the non doggy people will know about it and they are often the ones who need to be told to back off  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »

True, but I am not convinced that the non doggy people will know about it and they are often the ones who need to be told to back off  :-\
If enough people share it on FB then our non-doggy friends will see it too.

Offline x Denise x

• Molly & Joey
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
I Love the  Coat idea  and yes the yellow ribbon idea might work if we could spread the word. With the coat there is no misunderstanding  (Back Off )luv it

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 05:54:13 PM »

Have to admit that I haven't heard of it, but that may be 'cos I'm not on FB. It's a great idea.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing.
Have you had help from a behaviourist? The book Emma Parsons Click to Calm Healing the aggressive dog may be useful for you.