Author Topic: 2 meals a day....  (Read 1141 times)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
2 meals a day....
« on: November 11, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
OMG, I feel sooooo guilty!!!!  The last couple of weeks I've been slowly reducing the amount of food Ozzy has for lunch, in preparation for going on to two meals a day.  Now he's six months old, all he gets at lunchtime is a few pieces of kibble and a broken up bone-shaped biscuit.  He doesn't seem to have been too worried, until today!  He had his little bit of lunch as usual at about 12.15. and OH has just gone into the kitchen and found him sitting by his food bowl, with that "nobody has fed me for weeks" look on his face.  But, I am determined, I will not be swayed by that appealing look on his face!  A couple more days and he'll just be getting a biscuit at lunch time!  Poor Ozzy  :'(

Offline Tipsy252

Re: 2 meals a day....
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:15:54 PM »
When is it reccomended to switch to 2 meals a day? I was planning on keeping to 3 meals until about 8 months old, is this too long? Cassie has always had a bit of an iffy tummy if she eats too much in one go and switching from 4 to 3 meals with slightly larger amounts caused a few days of "runny poos", which I was advised was due to her not metabolising and absorbing all of the food she was eating at her meals. I am just concerned that it might start up again if I start to bulk up the morning and evening meals whilst cutting down the midday one?

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:44:52 PM »
When is it reccomended to switch to 2 meals a day? I was planning on keeping to 3 meals until about 8 months old, is this too long? Cassie has always had a bit of an iffy tummy if she eats too much in one go and switching from 4 to 3 meals with slightly larger amounts caused a few days of "runny poos", which I was advised was due to her not metabolising and absorbing all of the food she was eating at her meals. I am just concerned that it might start up again if I start to bulk up the morning and evening meals whilst cutting down the midday one?

I think it is 2 meals a day from 6 months, but to be honest I'd just do whatever suits your dog. Ours are fed morning and evening but they also have a bit of supper last thing at night because otherwise they are sometimes sick in the early morning.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:01:49 AM »

I only switch at 8 mths down to 2 meals a day. I do 4 meals until 4 mths, 3 meals until 8 mths then 2 meals a day from that point.

Don't forget these are only guides so if you try and it doesn't suit your dog then stick with what does (just make sure you don't feel tempted to keep large portion sizes if you have to stick at 4 meals).

Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Tipsy252

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am asking some newbie questions as it is 15 years since we last had a puppy!

Offline Cassie01

• Theis 08.04.2012-11.12.2012
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
OMG, I feel sooooo guilty!!!!  The last couple of weeks I've been slowly reducing the amount of food Ozzy has for lunch, in preparation for going on to two meals a day.  Now he's six months old, all he gets at lunchtime is a few pieces of kibble and a broken up bone-shaped biscuit. 

Poor Ozzy  :'(

"I knows how yous feel Ozsy - I iz bein' starved, too. I does mi best to tel 'er I iz hungry, I looks wiv my big ezes, I whimpers, coz she normally givs us stuffs when i does this, but nufinks comin' mi way!

If this keeps up I will ave to make my ezes rain, coz when mummys ezes rain daddy always takes her for food at the place at the top of the street!"

I am in the process of trying to reduce Thesis' meals, too - but his appetite is seemingly relentless. I constantly feel that I am not feeding him enough such is his will to devour everything that crosses his path. He weighs 12 kilos at 7 mths, so clearly not under weight. I am sincerely hoping that this is just a phase!  :huh:

Offline ElvieMogs

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 07:58:45 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Madoc is coming up to 6 months old and there's no way I could drop his mid day meal yet. We've cut it down but like Theis he's always hungry and I've been wondering how he is magically only going to want two meals from next week! I can relax for a couple of months now.........:)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 11:11:21 AM »
Ozzy is still appealing to me at lunchtime to feed him - poor starving little puppy that he is!!!  I had no problems when dropping from 4 feeds to 3, it's much easier when you can just delay lunch for and hour, and then bring tea forward an hour.  If this carries on I think I'll try to give him a bigger breakfast and a smaller tea, rather than 2 equal meals - maybe that might help!  :005:

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 03:15:01 PM »
I did it last week, when Henry was 6 months. I had reduced the lunch meal slightly and increased breakfast a little, but not massively. Then I just switched - giving him breakfast a little later (8.50am) and dinner around 4 (although I'm trying to make that later, as he's woken up a little earlier). Right now he's clearly starving as he's looking at both of us in that "I'm starving" way. Often he goes into the kitchen and looks at the work-surface, then the bowl, then us, then the bowl agaain. Then looks very very depressed! I'm sticking with it, in spite of the sad looks. I'm sure he'll get used to it eventually. I'm not even sure I'm feeding him enough - I've been giving him a bit less than the BH packet recommends, but he seems healthy enough.

I'm sure Ozzy will be fine - just ignore that hungry look if you can! 2 meals is a lot more convenient for you, especially if you have to go out and leave him for a few hours.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 03:33:28 PM »
I'm giving him more food at both meals now as since we changed from RC to Symply he's lost a little weight, so that, combined with dropping a meal has meant he's been starving!!!  It won't do him any harm, but obviously he needs a little more as I don't want the weight loss to continue, just for him to put on less each week!!  He's been having just a Bonio at lunchtime - he looks at me as if to say "Is that all" He'll soon get used to it, hard hearted Mummy that I am :005:

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 05:12:50 PM »

Our little angels are very cute :luv: Ye it's two meals from six months, just increase the amount slightly if you feel the need :shades:

Mel.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 05:34:58 PM »

Our little angels are very cute :luv: Ye it's two meals from six months, just increase the amount slightly if you feel the need :shades:

Mel.

I think Ozzy feels the need - greedy guts that he is!  :005:

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »

Mel.

I think Ozzy feels the need - greedy guts that he is!  :005:

Funny you should mention "greedy guts", Just finished our meal and my pup polished off her JWB dry food covered over with broth and ham shank pieces :004:
She then started following us around to see if there was any pasta left :020:
Where do they put it all :005:

Mel.