Author Topic: EPI, liver and bile duct inflammation  (Read 3364 times)

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: EPI, liver and bile duct inflammation
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2021, 08:33:54 PM »
Oh Mari  :bigarmhug: it's so difficult trying to get everything sorted and figure out what the best things is to do for your girl.  :luv: It's frustrating when she has become picky with food.  I really wish I had an answer for you, I don't know what to suggest.  At a risk of creating a rod for your own back, could you give her cooked dinners human style?  I am just thinking that a slow cooker would allow you to batch cook and freeze some different options, fish and veg, meat and veg.  But as I don't have any knowledge on the foods she can and cannot have, that may not be an option.  Hope you fine a compromise soon, x
PS, can't beat a nerd when you need research  ;)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2021, 06:12:09 PM »
Just a little update since you are all so wonderful and supportive  :luv:

Laurië is doing a little better. Her enzyme dosage has been adjusted down and we have changed the way we give them to her after getting advice online. She has also had a b12 injection, and we are swapping to enzymes that have b12 supplemented. She is still not eating enough, but she is eating one type of canned food now, so I'm hopeful we can get there. She is still happy, she has no idea I'm nervously counting kcal in a way I've never done before. I've never had to worry about too few before  :005: I am still worried about my little old lady and her weight loss, but at least she is eating so hopefully we are on the right track! She had fun on a nice walk in the sun today, and with her big coat on you can't even tell there is anything wrong. She just needs to eat more, that's all  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2021, 06:51:30 PM »
Really pleased to read your update on your little lady, it must be very worrying for you.

I have just remembered  a bit of history on Branston regarding severe weight loss he suffered a couple of years back (it was due to him eating a food that did not suit him and) After much investigation The vet recommended a B12 Supplement that you sprinkle on food, it is called COBALAPLEX and is made by Protexin, I got it from VetUK here is the link to have a read up you may be able to get it from somewhere similar https://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplements-cat-supplements-multi-vitamin-and-mineral-c-5_222/protexin-cobalaplex-for-cats-and-dogs-60-sprinkle-capsules-p-41030

I don't if it would help your Laurie, but it certainly made a difference to Branston, a long story short but he is now a healthy weight - he was eating the dry food - (Tribal) good enough food vet said but it was not doing anything for him nourishment wise.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2021, 07:10:00 PM »
I will keep that supplement in mind, thanks! I actually recognise the brand so I know I can get it from the vet here, yay. We haven't really looked at supplements yet. She is still on liver and bile duct medicines, hormone pill for incontinence and I am struggling to get her joint supplements into the mix. I think maybe all the pills and the fuss is not helping her appetite. I do think she needs vit b and probiotics and prebiotics, but it's just difficult to add too much when she is barely willing to eat food as is. Right now Laurië is getting any food she will actually eat. Luckily the one she eats is an easily digestible option from the vet. Apparently, grain-free is better, but she would not eat any of the ones I tried for more that one day. It is so strange to have a picky dog. For over 14 years she has eaten everything and anything, but now she will sniff everything suspiciously and only eat one type of dog food. Still eats treats and human food though so I'm not sure what to make of it  :dunno:  :005:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2021, 09:22:45 PM »
 :luv: so glad to hear Laurie s feeling better although I can imagine how worrying it is. Its a good sign that she‘s happy to be out and about and is enjoying her walks. I do hope you can keep on top of it and find something that will really tempt her appetite, sorry I can‘t offer any advice other than to say follow your instincts and if she enjoys human food and it doesn‘t contain anything specifically harmful, I‘d be inclined to let her have it.
Sending lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and waggy tails to you both!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2021, 06:39:34 PM »
Oh that is a lovely photo, she does look well and happy.   :luv:  I am glad you are starting to get to grips with things, there will be a fair amount of trail and error I suspect.  Just chucking ideas out there, so feel free to ignore.  If she is happy to eat people food, could the medication be disguised in that and given as snacks in between doggy dinners?  Given that you are calorie counting in the opposite direction  :005: that might suit you both.  Going to take a little bit of time to get a routine again, but you are getting to grips with it, and there is a lot to take on board.  Stick with it, you are doing great.