Author Topic: Dog Training Recommendations - Oxfordshire  (Read 694 times)

Offline Lil3121

Dog Training Recommendations - Oxfordshire
« on: July 05, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
Hi All,

I'm looking to get some one on one training for my 9 month old, can anyone make a recommendation for a dog trainer in the Oxford area?

He's fab in the house, but when we're outside he becomes deaf and cannot be let off the lead as he just bolts.

We've done classes for the last 6 months - but I'd like to get some individual sessions, so any recommendations would be great!! 

Thanks so much :D :D :D :D

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
Re: Dog Training Recommendations - Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »
Can't recommend anyone personally but if you have a look on the Association of Pet Dog Trainers website you can search for trainers in your area.  Anyone who is a member with them will only use positive, reward based methods :D

http://www.apdt.co.uk/
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »
Have you asked at your vet?
Julie and Watson

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 01:47:03 PM »
The Kennel Club website has a list of accredited trainers that may be able to help.

You may find its a phase he's going through - having found some confidence he doesn't 'need' you anymore  ;). I heard a great saying recently "12 months on the lead equals 12 years off lead" there's a lot of truth in that - at 9 months old he has little impulse control and his hearing is still developing.

A trainer is a great idea but until you find one I would suggest a long line and back to basics - reinforce a stop at distance plus heel work