Author Topic: We need the healing powers of COL  (Read 5357 times)

Offline woodlander

We need the healing powers of COL
« on: June 01, 2019, 12:39:02 PM »
We had to take our boy Archie (honorary cocker) to the emergency vet last night.  He had  been suffering from sickness & diarrhoea for about 24hrs prior but there was clearly blood in his very watery poo.  We went to the normal vet at lunchtime yesterday and were prescribed antibiotics etc but he didn’t want to eat or drink so couldn’t get any of the meds into him.  By 9pm last night all he wanted to do was lie in the garden.    😕so we decided to take to the emergency vet.  I think it was the right decision.

So he has been there overnight hooked up to fluids & antibiotics.  He does have pancreatitis but they are not sure whether he also has gastroenteritis as well.  🙁🙁🙁🙁🙁.  Apparently he doesn’t want to eat anything ( even hand fed) at the  moment.  I think he is going to be there for another night as they really want to see him eat something and also to keep up with the fluids & antibiotics.  His lymph nodes are enlarged and I think they will want to take a sample to check

So worried about our lovely boy.  The vet said he was comfortable & she wasn’t as worried about him as some of the patients they have but it can take a while for the symptoms of pancreatitis to settle down before they feel like eating again.  🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
I guess we might be on a special diet from now on
Thanks for listening 😔

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: We need the healing powers of COL
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 01:20:59 PM »
Sending out healing thoughts, hope Archie‘s feeling better soon!  :bigarmhug:

Offline Acciesboy

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »
I'm sitting on our couch with our little Maltese Cross , Hamish, next to me. Two months ago he came down with Acute Pancreatitis. On reflection, we reckon he had chronic Pancreatitis on and off for years. The stress of losing his Cocker brother a couple of months ago pushed him over the edge into Acute.

He was passing black tarry stools (Malena) so had blood in his stomache. Ultrasound showed enlarged pancreas and lymph nodes but no masses. Blood tests showed very high lipids (I think lol) He was put on pain killers, stomach settling meds and anti biotics. My wife is an Emergency Nurse and the vet knew us well, so we got him home with a mobile drip for us to look after him! Our living room looked like a hospital room. He also had a Fentanyl patch for pain relief! He hardly are a bite for days.

Then he did. A tiny bit. Then a little bit more. Little and often...the tarry stools dried up. Then they got watery and bright red! The vet said this was ok as long as he wasn't vomiting...then they dried up too. Then he ate a bit more and pooed a bit better.

Two months later he's still on meds, but off them soon hopefully. Really low fat diet and low fat treats ( shark cartilage.) And he's here sitting next to me, looking fine, behaving fine, back to his old self. We probably need to keep him on the low fat diet for life, but other than that he's definitely out of the woods and should be fine.

Prompt treatment, be prepared for it to get worse before it gets better and change to a special diet for a while or life are my advice. Pancreatitis is serious, but they can recover from it OK.

Oh, and Hamish says Hi!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 02:37:43 PM »
Archie, lots of gentle cuddles, and healing thoughts are on there way for you.   :luv: 
Sending  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for your hoomans.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 03:43:01 PM »
Ollie and I are sending all the healing thoughts down the line to you.
Plus a couple of special hugs too :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 04:35:43 PM »
Sending healing vibes - hope he starts to feel better soon  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline revis

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 10:26:58 PM »
Do hope Archie is feeling better soon.its so worrying.
Lots of positive thoughts going to you Archie.

Offline woodlander

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 09:48:07 AM »
Thank you for your thoughts and experiences.  We are going to pick Archie up at 11 am his morning.  He has eaten a little but they think he will recouperate better at home. Apparently he looks a bit miserable in his kennel ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Can’t wait to see him.  Will give an update later

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »
Agree that he will do better at home, if he has eaten enough to get him home, that is a start.  Hoping for good news later.

Offline woodlander

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 03:42:25 PM »
Archie is home.  He was pleased to see us and gave a little tail wag.  He even carried his lead which is his favourite thing when he’s happy.  We sat out in the garden for a bit and he seems comfortable although just sleeping.  OH wonders if he’s ok I say he must be totally exhausted but if anyone can reassure that this is right then it would be a comfort.
He also had a wee and a runny poo (better colour though 😐)
We are inside now and I have managed to get him to eat a tiny bit of turkey but not interested in a second piece. Next task get him to drink a little.

Poor thing he’s been through the mill

Offline rubyrules

• 0ur beautiful bundle of fun, R.I.P 30/5/2019
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 04:25:00 PM »
So pleased that you have Archie back home with you. Sending you lots of good feeling thoughts your way and hope he continues to improve  :luv:
Ruby our 1st cocker baby 10/5/2008 - 30/5/2019. You gave us so much, we are so lucky to have shared our lives with you. Run free sweet girl,  until we hold you again  xx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 04:50:20 PM »
Ah glad he is home with you. Re the water - a long time ago a vet recommended putting the tiniest bit of sugar in the water to make it more palatable & help replace what he is losing. If you are in a hard water area as we are then maybe boil the water first add maybe a quarter of a teaspoon to a half pint of  boiled water in a heat proof jug/container (not the kettle, lol) and let it cool, . Cover the container but don't put it in fridge as it will be too cold for his tummy.

Would Archie take the water if given by syringe straight into his mouth, that sometimes helps.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 05:38:25 PM »
There‘s no place like home, especially when you‘re feeling poorly. Sleep is always the best medicine aswell and I imagine the stress of being at the vets etc will have tired him out.
Re drinking - you could try boiling up a bit of the turkey or other meat and thenput the stock into his water, - it worked for Humphrey when I couldn‘t get him interested in drinking......
 :luv: and  :bigarmhug:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 07:25:01 PM »
Good that he is home, he will be shattered, he probably hasn't had a decent kip while he was in the vets.  Plain white fish from the freezer section in the supermarket, usually the cheapest one, is a nice gentle food.  Poach it in lots of water and give him that to drink.  He will probably have had fluids via a drip, so might not feel the need to drink yet, but this should help to tempt him.  Aldi used to sell turkey mince and it was reasonably priced and low in fat.  Again add lots of water and give him the stock as well.  Hopefully after a good nights sleep he will be a better boy in the morning.  Appreciate you taking the time to post, it is nice to hear how he is doing.

Offline woodlander

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 09:37:01 AM »
Thank you for all your suggestions for Archie - much appreciated.  A little update - the poor boy is so tired.  Last night I went upstairs to start filling in the insurance claim form and I said to him "Archie do you want to go to bed?"  He wagged his tail and followed me upstairs and plonked himself on our bed and didn't move for 3 hours. :luv: :luv:
We had a peaceful night and this morning he has eaten a light breakfast of turkey and rice and also drunk some water of his own accord.
I have poached some more turkey this morning and will use some of the liquid to add to either his food or water bowl.
Interestingly the emergency vet call this morning to see how Archie was doing and I said he had eaten some breakfast and she said that would indicate  the haemorragic gastroenteritis was the primary problem with maybe mild pancreatitis as a secondary problem.  If he had pancreatitis as the main issue he would not be eating. 

So relieved - we are going back to our usual vet this afternoon for a check up but hopefully we are over the worst.  :blink:

thank you all once again for your kind thoughts - that's the power of COL  :005: