Author Topic: Calling all Cockers on Eden  (Read 13984 times)

Offline jonnytrabant

Calling all Cockers on Eden
« on: May 28, 2013, 02:34:19 PM »
Since switching to Eden around mid March Harry has lost 800gr in weight, he was prior to Eden 11.6kg and now he's down to 10.8kg. I wasn't really worried as he's always been (unlike his owner) a lean dog and his energy is phenomenal, he is a very happy dog, however after a few comments from other people expressing concerns about his 'back end' being a bit on the thin side, it's got me slightly concerned. I spoke to Eden a few weeks ago, because Harry had a few toilet issues, hard poos, soft poos etc and we agreed to cut out all treats and just feed him his 2x 90gr a day, this cured his toilet issues and we've moved him onto better quality treats.

I have decided to increase, his allowance to 2x100gr and add a bit of lambs hearts (90gr) a day. Id be grated if people can tell me how much their dogs are on a day and their weight, those on Eden of course. Hopefully I wil speak to Eden this week for further guidance.

Like I say I am more slightly concerned than worried, as he's shown no downturn in his behaviour, he gets good excercise at least 2 hours a day and maybe I am doing just too much.

As you can see with this short video, he's a lively chap, just a bit on the skinny side

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/Kevcarling/CF2AB0B7-9A41-4DE8-97D8-093B50BE0203-1921-0000017F02DF7FBC_zps230c5ce5.mp4

Please feel free to post any thoughts

Thanks in advance

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
Re: Calling all Cockers on Eden
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »
Fudge moved onto Eden Medium kibble fully about 3 weeks ago and he loves it.  We have been away recently and have not had him weighed for a while but he is a stocky lad (but not an ounce of fat on him) and weighs in at about 13kg.  Therefore we feed him 2 x a day with 100g of Eden.  He has a kong at midday and one at 2100 plus a few treats during the day when we are training with him.  His poo has been fine, nice and solid (but they do stink!) and it is good to see him actually crunching up the kibble rather than hoovering it straight down like he did with his Beta puppy food. 

He has had runny poo very rarely and only during long walks for some reason - it is not that runny, just not as solid as he normally does.  It is as though a period of sustained exercise is giving his system a good old decoke!

We are therefore, crossed fingers, happy with how its going at the moment.

You may have seen this photo already but here he is:

Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »
Thanks Walshie

It's interesting that Fudge is 13kg and he's on 100gr twice a day, that's per weight he's on less than Harry! Talking to Paul from Eden today and he agreed with the action I am taking in increasing Harry's food to 130gr x 2 along with some raw lambs hearts in the short term at least.

Walshie I'd give Paul a ring, because Eden base their guidance on commercial pet foods and Paul's has uncovered some interesting information about the ammount we give our dogs

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
if he was 18 months old I would worry as they don't muscle up properly until 18 months to 2 years.  He looks lean but not overly thin to me.  I can't see his hip bones or more than a couple of ribs and that's when I would REALLY be concerned  ;)

Do you train him as well as exercise him?  Using his brain will wear him out just as much as a chuckit  :luv:

Remember any food company has a vested interest in their own food and not every kibble suits every dog.  Yours may not suit Eden  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Walshies

• Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 04:17:07 PM »
Thanks for that - he is on a 100g per feed because at home he does not go on super long walks as he did when we were away in the Lakes - we upped it to 120 per feed then plus his usual kongs and treats. We are happy with him at the moment but thanks for the information.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:49:29 PM »
Riley has been on eden about  3 months. His wright is steady about 13.7kg. He is 15 months now. He has 100g twice a day but sometimes I add chicken or mackeral, forthglade in with it.

Offline Biddy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
Hi,
I have just spoken to Eden, very helpful and suggested that the best way if concerned is to monitor the dogs weight,  look and examine your dog, and
to adjust the amount you feed them depending on their level of activity.
Seems sensible to me.

Jake is 1 year old weighs 13.8 kg ( he has lost 200g since being on Eden) but has remained constant and is fed 2x 110g aday (220 total )
He also gets a small amount of home cooked chicken and liver for treats during training.
I don't want him to loose any more weight as he is skinny, but has plenty of energy and go.
See photos on puppy board posted yesterday.
Eden advise increasing by 10 to 15 % if concerned.

Sounds like you are increasing harry's food by alot if going from 90x2 to 130 x2.   80 grams a day extra! as per your second post.

I will increase Jakes when we are away next week at the sea as no doubt he will be on the go more.

Thanks for the weight advice Helen, I will keep am eye on Jakes hips.

Paul at Eden did say he has been talking to the nutritionalist and the recommended amounts of food have been reduced, but if you look around at alot of dogs they are overweight!!

Jake was neutered a month or so ago and the vet said he was perfect and better to be lean than over weight. So fingers crossed he is ok.

It is concerning when people say things about your dogs weight as you can feel that you are not feeding them properly, I know I do.

Harry looks to have loads of energy too.

Thanks for the post jonny - I liked the one about the hearts too!!
Oh ps. sorry to disappoint you but the north does have a Waitrose!!
Yes Newcastle does, my son has shopped in it - poor impoverished student, but sometimes they have good deals!!

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:26:50 PM »
Yep he looks lean and fit but not skinny, he is obviously bursting with energy, if he is getting that much exercise he could cope with a bit more food but I would give tripe as well as heart. To be honest most of my spaniels looked like that by the end of the shooting season i.e. not one ounce of fat on them and I used to give lots of food but they would just run it off.
Its surprising how quick yougsters can put it on and loose it again, over the 3 weeks Teal was house and garden bound due to her season she put a bit on and I had to push a fair bit to feel her ribs but its only taken a couple of weeks to get her weight off again now she is getting out.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Chillis

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:05 PM »
From the video he looks great to me! Nice waist & great at spinning :D

Offline robert h

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 10:14:15 PM »
Poppy has just started her 2nd 15kg bag she loves it to bits  :D,her last weight was 10.7 kg when she was spayed a couple of weeks ago
She is very active and has two 100g bags aday (maybe a bit anal but i weigh it all out in 100g bags and then store as i prefur  :lol2:  to do it once instead of every day) ph34r

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 05:25:36 AM »
Biddy, I won't be increasing his food straight to 130gr, maybe in 10gr increments a week and obviously depending on how he looks. My fear is he just might be the only Cocker who doesn't agree with Eden which would be a shame as I think it's a wonderful kibble with great after service.

Incidentally do any other Cockers spin like Harry?

He's a bit of a loon, but you know the old saying dogs and owners...... Just thought I'd get that in

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
We have show type cockers, so not the same energy levels Im guessing as workers.

By comparison our Ollie who is around 15.8kg is only fed 130g of Eden per day and he doesn't appear to be losing weight. He does have an occasional kong of tuna and yoghurt, some liver bread training treats, occasional raw heart or liver,  and is fairly inactive. Feeing anymore than 130g a day makes his poos runny.  Our reason for sticking with Eden is that we've seen the same improvements in Ollie (less itchy, no eye discharge, glossy coat) as we did when we were raw feeding.

Maisie gets 150g of Eden a day, is constantly on the go and weighs around 11.6kg. Again if we feed more, her poos become runny. We haven't noticed any weight loss in her.

Both our dogs are neutered and both have been on Eden for around 6 months.

Offline Biddy

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 08:12:12 AM »
Sorry Jonny didn't mean to criticize.

Interestingly I was looking at the calorific value of Eden as opposed to the Arden.

puppy Junior 423/100g
Adult food 414/100g
Eden food 375/100g

Interesting.
Guess this is because of the different content of the food less carbs in the Eden, but if taking like for like our dogs would be having less calories.

10 kg dog recommended 165g of eden
10 kg dog on arden also recommended 165g

so less calories a day!
Just a thought,this may explain harry's weight loss.

Love the spins by the way.

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »
Sorry Jonny didn't mean to criticize.

Interestingly I was looking at the calorific value of Eden as opposed to the Arden.

puppy Junior 423/100g
Adult food 414/100g
Eden food 375/100g

Interesting.
Guess this is because of the different content of the food less carbs in the Eden, but if taking like for like our dogs would be having less calories.

10 kg dog recommended 165g of eden
10 kg dog on arden also recommended 165g

so less calories a day!
Just a thought,this may explain Harry's weight loss.

Love the spins by the way.

Didn't think you were criticizing Biddy, advice yes, criticism no.

Agree with your views and Harry was on 2x130gr AG before we switched over, so he might for a time at least go to that but I would anticipate I will have to drop that down as he gains more weight.

It's been less than a week since I've become 'concerned' again I must stress I am quite relaxed about it and since we've upped his in take to 110gr and supplementing about 90gr of heart whit ch he gets as a sort of lunch, I think he's put on weight, I won't weigh him till Friday but his energy levels have gone through the roof, if they could get any more!!!

But thanks to all have replied, it's great to have other thoughts and opinions.

Offline Walshies

• Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »
Biddy, I won't be increasing his food straight to 130gr, maybe in 10gr increments a week and obviously depending on how he looks. My fear is he just might be the only Cocker who doesn't agree with Eden which would be a shame as I think it's a wonderful kibble with great after service.

Incidentally do any other Cockers spin like Harry?

He's a bit of a loon, but you know the old saying dogs and owners...... Just thought I'd get that in

Fudge spins Jonny - but not as quick as your chap!