Author Topic: Calling all Cockers on Eden  (Read 13984 times)

Offline jonnytrabant

Re: Calling all Cockers on Eden
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 09:11:13 AM »
Jane

If Harry had a firm one, it was always in the morning, then he too had a whippy one in the afternoon and it's just got worse since. He's been on Eden now since March 20. The whole reason I went with Eden was so it was a 'complete' food and even EdenSince owners supplement their digs with raw, if I'd had known that I wouldn't have switched, I don't want to go raw for a number reasons but crucially they fail to mention when on Eden, it's advisable to supplement with some raw and last night our conversation went some thing like this

Me: Harry still no better
Eden: Well maybe some chicken wings
Me: How much
Eden: er... Quite a bit and only a small amount of Eden
Me: Why?
Eden : Cos the calcium in the bone will help his diarrhoea
Me: So why don't I just drop the Eden and feed raw?
Eden : er......???

That's what's excuse the French, pissed me off. Harry's obviously not taken to Eden and ive had to give him raw lambs heart, wings and buy Gut-rite, put up with liquid crap for a month and only to be told 'he's still detoxing'

Well rant over, just done 12 hours nights, so it's been brewing, again sorry folks for the colourful language

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »
I was just looking at the Eden ingredients on the website and wondering about the combination of meats in their food. Maybe Harry is sensitive to one or more of them. Applaws seems to be a similar food but doesn't mix up the meats. The chicken variety is just chicken. Maybe Harry would get on better with something like that? Just thinking out loud.
If you change, either to something new or back to AG, I'd be inclined to do it fairly quickly. Maybe start with half and half and up the new daily over maybe just a few days. As you say, it probably can't get worse than it is now.  ph34r

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »
I was just looking at the Eden ingredients on the website and wondering about the combination of meats in their food. Maybe Harry is sensitive to one or more of them. Applaws seems to be a similar food but doesn't mix up the meats. The chicken variety is just chicken. Maybe Harry would get on better with something like that? Just thinking out loud.
If you change, either to something new or back to AG, I'd be inclined to do it fairly quickly. Maybe start with half and half and up the new daily over maybe just a few days. As you say, it probably can't get worse than it is now.  ph34r

Yes just had a look on here  http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0671/eden-multi-meat-and-fish-formula

Perhaps it's the combination of chicken, salmon and herring and duck altogether in one meal etc that doesn't suit him?  Mollie's food is either just chicken, just duck or just salmon etc.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 12:11:05 PM »
Jane

If Harry had a firm one, it was always in the morning, then he too had a whippy one in the afternoon and it's just got worse since. He's been on Eden now since March 20. The whole reason I went with Eden was so it was a 'complete' food and even EdenSince owners supplement their digs with raw, if I'd had known that I wouldn't have switched, I don't want to go raw for a number reasons but crucially they fail to mention when on Eden, it's advisable to supplement with some raw and last night our conversation went some thing like this

That's what's excuse the French, pissed me off. Harry's obviously not taken to Eden and ive had to give him raw lambs heart, wings and buy Gut-rite, put up with liquid crap for a month and only to be told 'he's still detoxing'

Well rant over, just done 12 hours nights, so it's been brewing, again sorry folks for the colourful language

I think its shocking really that they cant really back up 100% what they are saying.
Its all very well and good promoting your food like eden do, but they still keep using this word "detox"  which I really don't like in terms of dog food.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 12:13:45 PM »
Jane

I think its shocking really that they cant really back up 100% what they are saying.
Its all very well and good promoting your food like eden do, but they still keep using this word "detox"  which I really don't like in terms of dog food.

I didn't agree with what they said to begin with, and I certainly don't agree with them now! You can't sell a complete food and tell people to add to it...ARGHHHH *gets off high horse*.

If you want to stick to kibble, applaws is a decent brand; it's the only brand that sir fusspot will eat :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »
Jane

I didn't agree with what they said to begin with, and I certainly don't agree with them now! You can't sell a complete food and tell people to add to it...ARGHHHH *gets off high horse*.

If you want to stick to kibble, applaws is a decent brand; it's the only brand that sir fusspot will eat :)

It is a really good food emma, they say to add if you want.
Riley is thriving on it, I wont be changing, unless he has problems like Harry does.
Lots are doing well on it. They just say that as its what they do with their dogs, its not compulsory that you have to add anything.
I just do, I always did even on JWB, so still do with eden.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »
Jane

It is a really good food emma, they say to add if you want.
Riley is thriving on it, I wont be changing, unless he has problems like Harry does.
Lots are doing well on it. They just say that as its what they do with their dogs, its not compulsory that you have to add anything.
I just do, I always did even on JWB, so still do with eden.

Ah, I thought they't recommended adding stuff, rather than saying it was a suggestion. Although their customer service seems to be a bit hit and miss.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »
I think if you have facebook and are in the group then they do try to help quite a bit. Not sure how the communication etc is if you aren't on facebook.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 02:27:34 PM »
Chicken wings, thighs, and heart, looks like a raw diet with a bit of kibble thrown in for good luck  :D :D :D.

To be honest though its good that they are trying to help I am not so sure you would get any advice from the big commercials.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 02:28:12 PM »
Just to add to my further comments, I am not criticizing the food and personally before Harry never had any kind of fish so maybe it's that or just like a few have said a combination. Because you speak to the owners direct and THEY add raw to supplement then it's only natural your gonna do that, i.e. what's good for them etc That's not what I bought into, clearly it is a very good food, you just can't make all those reviews up and Harry is maybe only one of a handful of dogs that hasn't took to it. I think the owners aren't good with dealing with cases like mine and they sort of 'stick their head in the sand' type of thing, I believed a lot of everything they said and I said so in earlier posts it all made sense at the time, but they should know how important and potentially life threatening for a dog to have continued diarrhoea. And that's my gripe, in the end. I am not quite sure but if you look at some of my earlier posts on this subject, a lot of Cockers lost weight, to me that suggests the food is too rich even the ones that are on it.

So after a bit kip, I've come to the conclusion and people might think I am mad, but I am gonna stick with Eden for a few more days with the Gut-rite and see if that helps, Ive come too far just to turn back and behaviour wise Harry is still great, I'll take him to get weighed Friday and if there's more weight loss and he's still got the runs, that's it I am bailing out.

The beauty of this forum is to air points like this and take in advice, I'd love and final opinions and please feel free to air and views on my thoughts

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
Regardless of how good a food appears on paper if you have to give your dog a stomach supplement and feed them more raw bone than kibble just to try to stop them having diarrhoea, then it's not the best food for that particular dog. Especially so given that he was fine on Arden Grange before.

Tilly has inflammatory bowel disease and the only kibble she can eat without reacting is Skinner's duck and rice. It's not a bad food at all but it's definitely not the best out there, but the important thing is that it suits her while other 'better' brands I tried don't. I feed Ro and Caoimhe half kibble (either Barking Heads or Skinner's) and half raw but by choice, not because I have to; if I just gave them the kibble they'd be fine, if they weren't I'd find one that suited them, a complete food should not 'have' to be supplemented. I don't believe in feeding any old rubbish but I also definitely don't believe that every food suits every dog regardless of how good we perceive it to be.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
I don't think you are mad at all. Its only really the weight loss that would sway me, Ok If it is proper "runs" then that too, but as for the odd softer poop which we are getting, then I don't see that as a problem (for me)
It is a complete food but yes its quite confusing at times when they keep saying if the poo is too soft then cut back the food, surely that cant be the answer all the time. Then the dog loses weight. :-\

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 04:20:11 PM »
I certainly feel I am (slowly) learning a very valuable lesson and probably the most important one of all, you must find a food that's good for YOUR dog

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 11:49:23 PM »
Lila had runny poos on both Eden and Orijen so now she has Millies Wolfheart 70/30 which she loves. She has raw at night .  Poos are tiny and easy to pick up  so very happy with this  :005:

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 02:39:27 AM »
Well after doing a bit of research, I've discovered that Harry is in the process of a 'Healing Crisis' basically all the toxins from his body are being disposed of. There's a bit more about it here

http://www.naturally healthydogs.co.uk/blog/2012/01/21/What-is-a-Healing-Crisis-.aspx.

And here

http://thewholedog.org/wholedognews/the-canine-healing-crisis-its-a-good-thing/

Now that's all good and well, but by all accounts Harry should have been over his now and tonight the poor fellas backside has took a real pasting. After further conversations with Eden I informed them I would be taking him to my vet and see what he says and that'll be good enough for me. Eden say they have over 5898 customers but didn't say (predictably) how many dogs don't take to Eden. I just think that even if Harry takes to Eden and he is 'more healthy' is he gonna be susceptible to upset stomachs the minute anything 'foreign' enters his mouth? We all know our Cockers are into everything and Harry is always finding something whether be it a bit bread or a biscuit or even someone just giving him a treat without asking, will that upset his stomach and he's back to crapping for England while he 'detoxes' again?