Author Topic: Millies Wolfheart - anyone tried it?  (Read 7904 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Millies Wolfheart - anyone tried it?
« on: January 03, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »
Finding the right food for Archie has been a bit of a nightmare (as many of you know with your own dogs).  I returned him to the Wainwrights grain free wet food a few weeks ago as he wasn't putting on weight with the Symply kibble (with rice).  I am keen to keep him grain free but he keeps losing weight.  His hip bones/spine and ribs are now visible and can be felt and I'm feeding him the appropriate amount each day.  If I up the amount, it makes this food really expensive and I don't think it's worth it so after more research, came across Millies Wolfheart grain free kibble. 

They have various types but I settled on the gundog one, after emailing them for advice.  Even though Archie isn't worked and only has moderate exercise each day, they suggested as he struggled to gain weight, this one may be a good starting point.  Anyone any experience of this brand?  Cheers, Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Ernies mum

Re: Millies Wolfheart - anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 07:08:54 PM »
Hi Lesley

I sympathise, I've struggled with ernie to find a food that doesn't upset his tummy and helps him keep weight on but luckily for me I think we've finally got there .

I haven't tried the food you mentioned . I'm not sure how old Archie is but wondered if you've thought about splitting his meals into 3  a day ? I found it's helped ernies tummy and weight gain to split his daily amount into more manageable portions .

Another thing that has helped and was suggested on here was a probiotic , ernie has the pooch and mutt bionic biotic which has helped with firm poos  ;)
Hope you manage to find something suitable as it can be a real mindfield getting it right .

Offline KeresleyKate

• Arvy
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:24:31 PM »
Hi Are you sure its his main food. Arvy had a lot of problems which have stopped now I've cut out all dairy, even a bit of soft cheese around the inside of his kong or the odd pea sized bit of cheese for a treat. Also |I just read that an independent study has shown dogs can digest grains.

Regards Kate
Kate

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 09:47:21 PM »
Also |I just read that an independent study has shown dogs can digest grains.

Some dogs can digest grains - others not, that is why grain-free foods are available, same with everything else, dairy, beef, chicken etc., some are ok on these things - others cannot cope with them. I go more on my own experience of my dogs than studies/experts, who it is fair to say are rather like studies/opinions on human food and health. Just like you said  in another post  not all dogs can eat all things.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »
Thanks for replies.

Ernies mum - I've not heard of the Pooch and Mutt product but just read reviews and they are very good so will certainly try some!!

KeresleyKate - I went grain free as I didn't want to be feeding Archie food with lots of fillers and preferred more quality ingredients in his food.  It is just strange that he seems to lose weight when on the grain free foods..... 

Mudmagnets is right though, I read and consider studies/experts but it really is down to the individual dog and how they cope with each food - such a nightmare!!
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline rubybella

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 02:56:51 PM »
Yes - my lab and working cocker have been on it for about 6 months now. I feed my lab the agility mix and my cocker the Tracker mix, as she needs the low fat version due to pancreatitis. I also use the fish and potato  biscuits and the have some of the training treats too.

I am very happy with it. Any more questions, please ask.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »
Thanks Rubybella.  Can I ask how their poos  ph34r are on this food? 

Offline Andrea Ellie

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
I use Millie's now. I did use Simpsons but moved to Millie's. Ellie is now on Obedience mix but she doesn't need to gain any weight and has stayed the same weight on it. Poos are ok but Ellie's were ok on Simpsons too.

Offline rubybella

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 07:03:12 PM »
Poos are good too!!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 07:37:05 PM »
Cheers!

Will wait and see what this food brings then  ;)

Offline rubybella

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 08:14:52 PM »
Good customer services and quick delivery too!

Chloe

Offline Andrea Ellie

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 08:57:41 PM »
Hope it works for Archie and you find a food that suits him.

Offline juju

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 09:13:38 PM »
My two and a half year old working cocker Izzy has been on Millies Wolfheart Gundog mix for a couple of weeks now. She was on Gentle which she loved but was looking rather skinny. She loves the new food and is already looking better. Her poos are firmer too!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 09:57:17 PM »
Thanks for that.  I've never known a dog not put on weight before so I hope this works for Archie too  :D

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 07:52:32 PM »
Thanks for that.  I've never known a dog not put on weight before so I hope this works for Archie too  :D

Wondered how you're getting on with new food  ? Don't know whether you've seen my post today but I'm struggling to keep weight on Ernie and vets recommended trying working dog food .