Author Topic: Slightly Irritated by vet (& OH!)  (Read 3973 times)

Offline woodlander

Slightly Irritated by vet (& OH!)
« on: January 05, 2017, 05:18:22 PM »
OH took Archie to the vet this morning as he had a bit of a cough (probably a cold said vet!). Anyway OH has come home with a bag of Royal Canin food for overweight dogs and scales and another appointment to see vet in 3 weeks.   Well Archie is a little overweight and is fed Lily's Kitchen which apparently is "a bit rich".   He is doing nicely on LK and I don't really want to change his food again.  If only OH wouldn't feed him so many treats which I have said till I'm blue in the face which is why his baby is a bit porky!  >:D >:D.
Is Royal Canin any good?  I can't see anywhere on their website about the moderate calorie count which is meant to be so much better than LK.
Do vets have some sort of buy in to Royal Canin - I am feeling as if they have done the hard sell thing
Sorry rant over

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
Re: Slightly Irritated by vet (& OH!)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:31:59 PM »
Vets wouldn't sell it if they didn't make a packet out of it!  I have not heard anything good about Royal Canin from a dog owner, but it is heavily promoted by the vets who sell it (including ours).
I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole myself, just try and persuade OH to give over with the treats.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 05:58:51 PM »
I don't know about vets, but Dylan was raised on it by his breeder, I changed when I got him home. But I received endless vouchers for free bags from dog training clubs, pet insurance companies, the dog finding thingy, anywhere I signed up for anything basically. So it wouldn't surprise me if vets were rewarded for promoting it.

I got free bags and donated them to the local dog rescue and the food bank. I wouldn't want to feed my dog on it.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »
Vets wouldn't sell it if they didn't make a packet out of it!  I have not heard anything good about Royal Canin from a dog owner, but it is heavily promoted by the vets who sell it (including ours).
I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole myself, just try and persuade OH to give over with the treats.

Me neither - very clever advertising, giving the impression its a top quality product but I've read test reports which tell a very different story....... >:(

Offline Maisiesmum

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »
The parent company is Mars.....I would prefer to feed Maisie the chocolate bar than the dog food  ;)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »
The parent company is Mars.....I would prefer to feed Maisie the chocolate bar than the dog food  ;)

They also make cat litter!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 12:19:26 AM »
My friends daughter recently started vet school and Royal Canin were on site in fresher week promoting their product. Wouldn't give it house room here. Daisy is on Lily's too, and for treats she has the Breakfast Crunch food. The kibble is bone shaped so looks like little treats and better for her.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 01:50:51 AM »
If a vet told me it was raining outside I would have to check, just to make sure.
With my old cavalier our vets told me that Science Plan was the best dog food ever (they sold it exclusively) and my poor little dog was fed that crap his whole life.
Then, when Murphy arrived, they had changed over to some obscure food that I had never heard of. Unsurprisingly,  this was now the best thing in the world, ever. Up until then I just trusted what the 'experts' told me but I started to have my doubts. It turned out that this wonder food was utter rubbish too. So I did some research and chose my own food (Natural Instinct)
Even now, they try and tell me that their rubbish is better than the 5 star food I feed my dogs on now.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 06:12:27 AM »
Have you ever seen a poor vet? This should answer the question as they promote what makes them richer.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
Just a thought - I wonder if the vet training actually covers nutrition and what goes into animal feed. It would be interesting to know.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »
Just a thought - I wonder if the vet training actually covers nutrition and what goes into animal feed. It would be interesting to know.

Lesley and Dylan

It does.

Animal nutrition is a very big and detailed subject in veterinary school. Going in depth on covering requirements of different species of animals in different stages of life, preventing and dealing with consequences and treatment of malnutrition, not to mention nutrition as part of treatment of different conditions.

One reason for recommending feeds like Royal Canin, Hills etc is the fact that these brands produce veterinary diets. That means that they have developed food types especially suited to different medical conditions. It also means that they have to properly test and prove their effect and quality. So, regular food for healthy dogs, diets for overweight dogs, special diets for joint pain or renal diseases, the vet can trust that it is good for your dog and can recommend it safely. Of course it is impssible to be familiar with every food on the market, so they will recommend what they knw and trust.

My girl has been eating Royal Canin most of her life, I've been very happy with it. I switched her over to orjien a few years back to try the grain free diet. A heavy protein diet was too rich for her and she could only eat a tiny amunt without gaining weght, she was constantly hungry. So I put her back on RC so she could eat normally. Now she is older and has arthrosis in a knee, she is on mobility food from hills or rc. They have added chondroitin and glucsamine in the kibble so her knee is better and I don't have to fuss with supplements.

Not pretending to be an expert, or prmoting one brand over another ;) But a veterinarian studies for a minimum of 5 years, nutrition is definitely covered by the university. And yes pet food producers will advertise to vets and vet students, so will pharmaceutical companies. But the education gives the vet the better knowledge to judge what claims are real and fake from a seller ;)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »

Is Royal Canin any good?  I can't see anywhere on their website about the moderate calorie count which is meant to be so much better than LK.

I can totally understand the frustration if you feel like you didn't need the change of feed. I can especially relate to family members overfeeding treats. I feed royal canin and I think it works very well for my cocker. But there are many good pet food producers, so not claiming they're best.

The question of calories depends on what type your OH bought. They have moderate and low calorie diets like 'satiety' and 'obesity'. I think they even have regular 'light' food in their non-veterinary range.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »
Could you not stick with the food that suits your dog, but feed less or feed part of is as treats?  Personally I wouldnt swap food if a dog was enjoying it and it gave no more nutritional value.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »
I think one of the problems, - and its the same with us hoomans - is that we rather lose track of how many treats and "inbetweens" they/we are actually eating. Once your start to actually write it down, you often realize its lots more than you think. When I first had Humphrey, I used to weigh his food for the day and then take a handful out for treats, or put a portion of other treats out for the day and adjust the food amount. I wouldn't suggest you go to those lengths exactly (I was totally OTT in the beginning! ;)) but you could just put a few titbits on the side for the day and once they're gone, they're gone. I also feed raw and despite using quite a lot of trainig treats, Humphrey has no weight problems - he gets bits of cheese or meat, not too many biscuits and loves carrots, apple, banana etc.

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 03:07:15 PM »
I think one of the problems, - and its the same with us hoomans - is that we rather lose track of how many treats and "inbetweens" they/we are actually eating. Once your start to actually write it down, you often realize its lots more than you think. When I first had Humphrey, I used to weigh his food for the day and then take a handful out for treats, or put a portion of other treats out for the day and adjust the food amount. I wouldn't suggest you go to those lengths exactly (I was totally OTT in the beginning! ;)) but you could just put a few titbits on the side for the day and once they're gone, they're gone. I also feed raw and despite using quite a lot of trainig treats, Humphrey has no weight problems - he gets bits of cheese or meat, not too many biscuits and loves carrots, apple, banana etc.

Totally agree with this^^ 

The issue of the quality (or otherwise) of certain foodstuffs is almost always guaranteed to provoke differences of opinions  ;)

My Louis is on a special Royal Canin veterinary food (connected to him having had struvite crystals in the past) and since starting on this diet has never looked back - his poos are more solid than they ever were and there has been no recurrence of his bladder obstruction so we are very happy.  Were I to be a less secure person in the knowledge that RC 'works well' for Louis, I could easily find some of the more vociferous condemning of RC quite unsettling and make me question if I was doing the right thing feeding it to him - fortunately I am more robust than that, but I do think we all need to be mindful of how strongly expressed opinions can be misinterpreted and for some who are uncertain may cause some distress and/or concern  :dunno:

bizzylizzy - I don't think weighing out the daily allowance and setting aside some for 'treat' purposes is OTT - just sensible  :D