Author Topic: Puppies and BARF  (Read 6016 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Puppies and BARF
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:16:23 PM »
Has anyone raised a pup on BARF? I know you have to be quite careful about quantities esp of bone due to their calcium intake etc but if anyone has any experience of this I'd be really grateful.
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Puppies and BARF
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »
Alfie was weaned on BARF but his breeder puts them onto Burns before they go to their new homes to make it easier for the new owners. I think he starts them on lamb mince and chicken.

... that's not terribly helpful really is it?!  ph34r  But he's still here so they must have done something right!  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 07:42:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure Bluegirl (karen) has her dog Penny on Barf and weaned her recent litter (squeaky bunch  :luv:) onto raw food as well. Can't find the thread at hte moment but might be worth PMing her.
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline maximus

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 07:55:13 PM »
i was going to ask something very similar to this, we pick our puppy up on saturday and i plan to get him on to BARF as soon as possible, just not sure of what he can have (at 7 weeks) and the amounts.  :D

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 08:18:32 PM »
My two were weaned on BARF.

The bones didn't come until they were a little bigger (about 4 months) so the bone content of their diet until then was ground up in their meat feeds.

That was on the advice of the breeder. From four months they started on chicken wings and never looked back!!

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 11:04:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Silkstocking did you basically feed them on the same as an adult dog in terms of content then? I think I'd better do some quick reading on it all before little Zorro arrives and starts cutting "Z" into the doors with his needle teeth  :005:

He's on Burns at the moment so I was thinking of just introducing one meal a day which would be minced up beef, chicken or whatever but without the bone, but at least so his tummy gets used to dealing with raw meat early on, and then maybe do as you did and from 4 months introduce chicken wings. It will be interesting raising a pup on BARF, Bella was put on at 9 months and it made such a difference to her.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 02:43:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Silkstocking did you basically feed them on the same as an adult dog in terms of content then? I think I'd better do some quick reading on it all before little Zorro arrives and starts cutting "Z" into the doors with his needle teeth  :005:

He's on Burns at the moment so I was thinking of just introducing one meal a day which would be minced up beef, chicken or whatever but without the bone, but at least so his tummy gets used to dealing with raw meat early on, and then maybe do as you did and from 4 months introduce chicken wings. It will be interesting raising a pup on BARF, Bella was put on at 9 months and it made such a difference to her.

Yes, they had pretty much what they have now,( chicken, rabbit, tripe, beef etc) just with the bones ground in! When they were on four meals they had scrambled eggs for breakfast with cottage cheese or natural yoghurt and then they had 3 meat meals with puried veggies included as and when, oh........... and one meal had a small handful of wholemeal biscuits in.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 02:56:25 PM »
Thanks Lisa - he's been having chicken wings and mince already (plus Burns) so I think he'll be fine - what you gave yours sounds very sensible.  :D

Offline maximus

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 07:57:25 PM »
Does anyone know how much in weight a 7-8 week old puppy should be having of mince, our pup comes home tomorrow and i've spoken to the lady in our pet shop (very into BARF) and she recommended we go for it right from the start, she said her toy breed puppies were mananging wings at 9-10 weeks so she doesn't think it will to long before our little one will be able to cope with wings.  :D

Also is it ok to give him raw eggs and tripe?

He is on CSJ at the moment but i plan include a couple of raw feeds this week and increase it gradually. :blink:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 08:06:43 PM »
Does anyone know how much in weight a 7-8 week old puppy should be having of mince, our pup comes home tomorrow and i've spoken to the lady in our pet shop (very into BARF) and she recommended we go for it right from the start, she said her toy breed puppies were mananging wings at 9-10 weeks so she doesn't think it will to long before our little one will be able to cope with wings.  :D

Also is it ok to give him raw eggs and tripe?

He is on CSJ at the moment but i plan include a couple of raw feeds this week and increase it gradually. :blink:

Tripe is fine. As for how much in weight, erm I never weighed anything  ph34r  but each meal was about a handful of mince.

I can't imagine a 9-10 week old pup tackling a chicken wing, it must be a sight to behold!!

Not sure about raw eggs at that age. I cant see it being a problem though. Mine had scrambled eggs as pups and LOVED them!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 08:09:41 PM »
she said her toy breed puppies were mananging wings at 9-10 weeks so she doesn't think it will to long before our little one will be able to cope with wings.  :D

OK, so my boys are officially rubbish then.  ::) A 16 month Golden Retriever and a 6 month old cocker couldn't cope with whole chicken wings on their first attempt.  ph34r BARF starts next week here so lets hope they get the hang of it soon.  :005:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline maximus

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 08:15:32 PM »
Max first started on chicken wings at 15 weeks and could crunch and swallow in 2 seconds flat but i guess it depends on the dog.  ::)

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 08:15:50 PM »
My Scout is on barf now. When i got her she was on dried food and she got the runs so I gradually weaned her off it  on to raw food. she seems to be doing well on it. Like penel said  she has had her bones ground up, until now. I am thinking of giving her a chicken wing this week to se how she gets on. I am sure she will be fine as she trys to pinch of Zac and Floss anyway. she will be 16 weeks on wednesday so should be OK.

re eggs  she has raw egg mixed in occasionally and so far no problems
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 08:19:49 PM »
Max first started on chicken wings at 15 weeks and could crunch and swallow in 2 seconds flat but i guess it depends on the dog.  ::)

It really does!! When I first gave Milo one he licked it to death and didn't attempt to crunch at all! Where as Nance did a Max and finished it in two seconds flat!! :005:

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 10:01:01 PM »
Karen mentions giving Penny's pups chicken wings to 'suck on' at 4 weeks - presumably no munching taking place though!

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?action=search2
Abby, Clive n Dylan