Author Topic: Puppies and BARF  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Puppies and BARF
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 08:49:05 AM »
My pups could strip a chicken wing at 4 weeks old  :005:  and by 6 weeks they ate the lot - of course under supervision.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 05:01:41 PM »
Hi,
I weaned my pups with a raw meat diet, but I don't follow BARF. It is similar.
I gave my pups chicken wings and lamb ribs to suck on from the age of 3 weeks, it was just to give them a taste (suck!) of what was to come. I officially weaned them at 4 weeks old.
After about 1/2 a week I offered them a teaspoon of raw meat each to see what they did, I was also giving a communal bowl of milk in the morning and a bowl of milky cereal at dinner time, both of which contain natural calcium. I then introduced a teaspoon of meat at about 4pm and another teaspoon at about 8pm. I didn't offer bones as I wanted them to get used to the new tastes first, but their mother Penny was excellent and she began to regurgitate food for them with bones in from 4 weeks so I just watched them eat it. Obviously if the chunks were too big I'd cut them with scissors (Yuck) and if the bones were too big I took them out. At about 6-7 weeks I was offering full chcken wings and chicken thigh bones and they were fine. I did collect egg shells and crushed them to a fine powder and sprinkled them onto their food daily to make sure they had enough calcium. By the time they were 8 weeks the amount of meat I gave was up to a heaped dessertspoonful twice a day and I continued with the milk starter and milky cereal aswell. They could eat  a chicken wing also by then, but Penny was still reguritating too.
I always watched them with any food I gave them and used to check their poops to to see colour and consistency. They were generally dark brown and formed which I was happy with, if they were looser I'd give wings if constipated hold back on bones that night.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 12:49:49 PM »
Thanks Karen, that's really helpful. Zorro has already been having chicken wings so should be fine. I was thinking of feeding him a mix so he has 2 meals which are Burns and 2 meals which are raw, eg a small chicken wing for one meal and a spoonful of mince with some veg for the other one. I guess really I'm just not quite confident enough to get the calcium levels correct with him at this young age, so I might do a mix and then when he's a little bit more grown swap him over fully.

I can see I'm going to have to buy one of those mini freezers for the dogs!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk