Author Topic: BARF and morning-vomiting...  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
BARF and morning-vomiting...
« on: October 18, 2006, 07:46:43 AM »
Help!!

Dill has been on Barf for about 6 months now, and is absolutely loving it.  He loves his food, eyes are clearer, doesn't smell....

In those 6 months he would occasionally vomit up some tiny bits of bone first thing in the morning.   I was not duly worried about this.
However, for the last 3 weeks he has vomited up tiny bits of bone and some yellowy gunk every morning.   He sleeps in our room, so we are treated to the full sound effects too.....
His pooh is normal, he is not off his food, he has loads of energy, so I don't think he is poorly.

My question is this - is he vomiting because his stomach is empty, or is he vomiting because those little bits of bone are bothering him??
Last night I gave him toast before bed, in case he was vomiting because his stomach is empty, but this morning he still vomited up yellow stuff and some little bony bits.
He will vomit up bony bits regardless of what meat he had the night before (he either has lamb chops, chicken wings or pork ribs...)

Help anyone?   Please?

Petra

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Re: BARF and morning-vomiting...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 09:44:30 AM »
Its hard to tell.  He may be sicking up because he is hungry like you thought, or it could be because for some reason he is finding the bone difficult to digest.

Petra do you feed him once or twice a day?
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 10:10:50 AM »
Bella was a bit like this when she was having her boney meal in the evenings. I changed over and tried giving her the boney meal in the mornings and just a little bit of mince in the evenings, and that seemed to do the trick. If she has a recreational bone and it's late on in the day she will often bring up a bit of bile and bone in the morning, but if she has the bone early on, then no vomiting.

I've no idea why having it in the morning seems to help but it's worked for Bella so that might be worth a go?
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 10:50:20 AM »
Mich, he is on two meals a day.  Minced meat and a dollop of veg in the morning and then his boney meal in the evening.

I have actually noticed he has lost a bit of weight - normally if you run your hands over him he feels like he is wearing a wooly jumper (thickness) but now it is down to the thinness of a t-shirt.

I may give him his bone in the morning, his mince in the evening, and increase his portion size a little.

If none of these help then we will reconsider or visit Mr Vet....

Thanks for your help guys  :blink:

Petra

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 11:11:26 AM »
Well I would suggest swapping his meals around, try giving him his bones in the morning, then at least you will see if that stops the sickness.

I have to be careful with Bails that I don't walk him too soon after giving him a bone meal as if I do it all comes up :o
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 01:23:46 PM »
Petra I know this isn't BARF related but its very similar to Sapphi.

I found that she wasn't able to digest processed treats like edible nylabones etc. She had done for years, then just the same as you in a morning she would throw up bits of the treat, which she could have had a week ago, with the yellowly yuck. It happened with hide too.
The vet said that she wasn't able to digest them, so after a while the body gets rid of them the only way it can. I wondered if Dill was still getting used to digesting bones, so the ones that weren't were being brought up after some time? Just a thought.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 04:30:26 PM »
Sam, thank you, that is a very good point...
I do think that is what is happening... I wonder what that means for his Barf diet though...  He never has huge recreational bones - he is never bothered about them, just leaves them under the sofa or under a bush in the garden, with all the yucky results.... I only ever give him bashed up bones for 'consumption' as it were...

I am very tempted to cut out the bones but still feed raw.   

Petra

jarbaha

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 06:47:08 PM »
hi petra  :D
try not to worry to much, i'm sure dill's finding the bone difficult to digest, just add a bit more mince to his diet . as long as dill is fine in himself , is bright and happy , i'm sure its nothing to worry about.

it could be something you are feeding him is not agreeing with him, whats ok for one dog may not be ok for another.
apart from that hope dill is ok, and i hope you and family are ok too.
my e-mail is still the same if you want to e-mail me.
sending lots of love to dill  :luv:
terri

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 07:00:05 PM »
Sam, thank you, that is a very good point...
I do think that is what is happening... I wonder what that means for his Barf diet though...  He never has huge recreational bones - he is never bothered about them, just leaves them under the sofa or under a bush in the garden, with all the yucky results.... I only ever give him bashed up bones for 'consumption' as it were...

I am very tempted to cut out the bones but still feed raw.   

I'm still doing my BARF research  ::) Dill's only been on BARF six months so could his body still be getting used to digesting bones? 

The body is a wierd thing, Sapphi had the constitution of an ox until the beginning of this year, now all her treats have to be natural. I might be tempted to carry on for a bit and see if its something that is part of the body ajusting to raw.
I just hoping that Sapphi isn't the same when I switch her to BARF, it will be interesting to see though.  If it does happen I think I might be tempted to feed raw too.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 07:13:16 PM »
Could it be that the bone portion is too much?

My two are rarely sick, but I have noticed that if they have had a particulary large portion of chicken wings or other boney offerings that they have maybe brought up a few bits that they obviously haven't digested. Like I said this is very rae.

I would do as Mich has suggested and swap the bone feed to the morning and the meaty feed until the evening.

The yellowy sick does sound a bit like bile  :-\ so he could be a bit hungry  :-\

If he is loosing weight that he doesn't need too, try bulking him up with mashed potatoes  ;) or porridge, this does thie trick with my skinny boy Milo  ;)

Offline Harry Blue

• Site Member
  • I love my frisbee
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 07:15:22 PM »
This is a really interesting thread (if you think sick interesting I guess!) - I feed Harry BARF - although without bones as yet which I will introduce. He occassionally throws up (usually looks like yellowy yuk, sticks and gravel he has ingested), and in fact did so at about 5pm today (before dinner) he had had two bonio biscuits at lunchtime and a few pasta twirls left over- and I now wonder about mixing his diet too much with conventional treats which up til now he has had had no problem with.

I am also having a problem with Harry putting on weight, he is about 10k (7 months), but we were advised to increase his diet to help him fill out a bit, does anyone have idea's about how to fatten a pup? He refuses to eat anything with tripe in it (which was one suggestion) and I have been giving him some pasta (which he threw up earlier)- any other idea's??

Thanks,

Harry Blue - a legal alien in Boston...not happy about the waste of good tea....

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 07:18:34 PM »
This is a really interesting thread (if you think sick interesting I guess!) - I feed Harry BARF - although without bones as yet which I will introduce. He occassionally throws up (usually looks like yellowy yuk, sticks and gravel he has ingested), and in fact did so at about 5pm today (before dinner) he had had two bonio biscuits at lunchtime and a few pasta twirls left over- and I now wonder about mixing his diet too much with conventional treats which up til now he has had had no problem with.

I am also having a problem with Harry putting on weight, he is about 10k (7 months), but we were advised to increase his diet to help him fill out a bit, does anyone have idea's about how to fatten a pup? He refuses to eat anything with tripe in it (which was one suggestion) and I have been giving him some pasta (which he threw up earlier)- any other idea's??

Thanks,

As mentioned above porridge and mashed potato help to fatten up  ;) The pasta will help too, although some people don't agree with feeding pasta because of the wheat, however my two have it and LOVE IT, especially with tuna! YUM! Another thing they have is brown bread toast as a bulk up!

Offline Harry Blue

• Site Member
  • I love my frisbee
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 07:30:27 PM »
Thanks Lisa - I think I crossed posts and missed the potato advice! - I will try him on some mash tomorrow.
Harry Blue - a legal alien in Boston...not happy about the waste of good tea....

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 08:42:37 PM »
The bone portion typically consists of two or three chicken wings (depending on their size) OR two meaty pork ribs, OR two small lamb chops.   
Is that too much??

Very interested in bulking him out with mashed potato or porridge - Lisa, do you make the porridge with milk or water??

Petra

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
The bone portion typically consists of two or three chicken wings (depending on their size) OR two meaty pork ribs, OR two small lamb chops.   
Is that too much??

Very interested in bulking him out with mashed potato or porridge - Lisa, do you make the porridge with milk or water??

Always water  ;) And the mash I just mash I dont add marg/butter or milk  ;)

That doesn't sound like too much bone to me, mine have that much, but then I guess it depends on the dog how much they can stomach  :-\ ? ? ? if you see what I mean!