Author Topic: Alfafa and BARF question. I'm converting at last!  (Read 3276 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Alfafa and BARF question. I'm converting at last!
« on: October 22, 2006, 06:07:06 PM »
Well my freezer is now jam packed with giant AMP packs of frozen lamb, beef and chicken mince, minced green tripe, turkey necks, chicken wings and heart chunks. I have borrowed my neighbours blender and have a large pack of carrots, a large cabbage, celery, garlic and brocolli sitting on the worktop. I think I'm commited now and will begin tomorrow.
I know that powdered kelp and alfafa should be added but don't as yet have any. I do have a pack of alfafa seeds which I know should not be fed. What I would like to know is -if I were to grow them would alfafa sprouts be a suitable alternative to the powdered form? If so can anyone help with the equivalent quantities?
Is there anything missing from my hoard?
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Re: Alfafa and BARF question. I'm converting at last!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 07:15:46 PM »
No idea, but just had to say well done for taking the plunge.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Penel

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 07:44:10 PM »
You can feed alfalfa sprouted if you really feel the urge - but tis really not necessary.  I personally don't give kelp anymore either - the longer I feed a raw natural diet, the less supplements mine get.  This is mainly because of Lola and her allergies so I keep everything simple as poss.
If you really want to mix in the sprouted alfalfa with the veg mix, I don't think the quantity will matter  ;)
You haven't mentioned raw eggs ?

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 08:49:21 PM »
Thanks Annie M.  :blink: It's not quite as scary as I thought as Fern has been having raw chicken wings as an extra for a few weeks now and I am confident that she will treat them with the respect they deserve and is crunching them well. That was my main concern. All that early indoctrination about not feeding chicken or lamb bones to dogs as they splinter has to be unlearnt. Now I know that raw is absolutely fine and that it is cooked bones that are a definate no I am quite happy.

Penel. Fern is 7 years old, perfectly healthy, very fit and fast and full of energy on her current diet. I am changing her to BARF as I want her to remain that way and I want her teeth clean without having to resort to vets or brushing her teeth if there is a more natural way. The alfafa sprouts is just a way of using them up tbh. As Fern is quite fit do you think I can get away without adding any supplements then, or would you use kelp for a while?  :-\ I am not clear exactly what nutrients kelp or alfafa provide anyway   :huh:
Eggs ah yes. Thank you. She has been having one or two of them a week too. I forgot that she will still have those.
Last question (for tonight anyway  ph34r ). Fern weighs approx 11.25Kg. Which is just fine. Does about 350-400g of meat and a dollop of whizzed mixed veg per day, plus a couple of eggs a week and a couple of chicken wings twice a week seem about right to start?
happydog

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 09:29:45 PM »
Last question (for tonight anyway  ph34r ). Fern weighs approx 11.25Kg. Which is just fine. Does about 350-400g of meat and a dollop of whizzed mixed veg per day, plus a couple of eggs a week and a couple of chicken wings twice a week seem about right to start?

Molo has approx 200g of meat per day (bones and veg are extra) - the guidance I read suggested 100-150g of meat per 10kg of dog; and Molo is approx 15kg  :-\

(http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/nm/anmviewer.asp?a=19)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 05:41:36 PM »

Molo has approx 200g of meat per day (bones and veg are extra) - the guidance I read suggested 100-150g of meat per 10kg of dog; and Molo is approx 15kg  :-\

(http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/nm/anmviewer.asp?a=19)
Thanks Rachel! I think you have just saved me from producing a giant BARF fed working cocker :lol:. Approx 120g it is then, plus a dollop of mixed whizzed veg plus a small piece of poultry neck for 'pud' tonight.
happydog