Author Topic: Oh No......Not another BARF Question I hear you cry!!!  (Read 3649 times)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Oh No......Not another BARF Question I hear you cry!!!
« on: October 24, 2006, 12:01:41 PM »
Barring any further disasters, I'm switching to BARF at the weekend.

My question is do I need to stop giving them the treats I currently use? I try to avoid anything with colourings etc, and usually used JWB CrackerJacks, Natures Menu Chicken Mini Treats and Bonio type biscuits.

They also get dried tripe sticks, paddy whack, pigs ears etc from time to time. I am right to think these are ok to continue using?

I always have a treat bag on me and carry these things around. If I should stop with these treats, I was thinking about chopping up a dried tripe sticks and bits of carrot to carry with me. I am also going to try to make some tuna bread. Liver cake was way too disgusting so I'd have to be desperate before making that again!  :005: Do you have any more suggestions?

I'm going for a quick switch and I've bought the mince and some blocks from PAH. I was thinking about using those for a week before I add in bones, is that ok? I'm going to draft up a menu this weeks which I might run past you if thats ok.

Sorry that is more that one question.  ph34r I've read alot of the threads on BARF and I know I'm not alone in worrying like mad about switching, so its time to take the bull by the horns.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Oh No......Not another BARF Question I hear you cry!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 01:28:12 PM »
Well done Sam!  :D  I started Fern on BARF only yesterday and was wondering exactly the same thing about treats. Fern lurves her Bonios and her low fat milk dog biccies. I'm going to finish the packs off but she will only get them in the mornings when she has had time to digest the previous evenings BARF meal.
Regarding bones I have been feeding Fern the odd chicken wing before I started her off on BARF dinners as that was the bit that was worrying me most. I know now that she crunches them well befopre swallowing. I have been doing a bit of reading up and don't think it will be the end of the world from a nutritional point of view if you don't add bones for a week or two as a lot of the minced barf contains bonemeal anyway, but it will mean that they have no method of cleaning their teeth for a while and I understand that the raw mince tends to stick to their teeth. I think you should take the plunge with meaty bones asap myself. Have you got  Tom Lonsdales 'Work Wonders'? and Kykythy Schultze 'Natural Nutrition for  Dogs and Cats'?

Just for the record. Fern loved her first BARF meal. Raw minced chicken, a dollop of whizzed carrot, celery and cabbage with a turkey neck for 'pud'. She is munching on a whole carrot as I type....
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 01:35:59 PM »
I make my own treats which the dogs love ;) and the small delicious as they have mollases in. I was given the recipe by my breeder.

Tripe sticks. pigs ears,hooves etc are fine to use.

In an ideal world it is suggested they don't have biscuit treats from what I have read, but I must admit my own to occasionally have biscuit treats, especially when they stay with my mum ::)

These two love nothing better than, carrots and apples as treats.

Once you get into the BARF swing of things, you'll wonder why you worried honestly ;) it is easy I promise!! :D

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 02:16:56 PM »
I still give treats to mine, i just try to make sure that they are the natural ones (l JWB and nNturediet) and I only use them for training purposes - not just as treats if you see what i mean!!

As far as chews go I still provide rawhide for the dogs to munch on and they always get carrots and apples - they love them!

When Poppy came home I started her on the mince and as advised by Penel kept her on the same variety for a few days - this seemed to make the transition very easy. Then I added in chicken wing tips after only a few days - she loved them and at 8 weeks old she has had no problems crunching them up!

Good luck with your switch, I bet the dogs will LOVE the change! :D
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 02:24:33 PM »
Well done Sam!  :D  I started Fern on BARF only yesterday and was wondering exactly the same thing about treats. Fern lurves her Bonios and her low fat milk dog biccies. I'm going to finish the packs off but she will only get them in the mornings when she has had time to digest the previous evenings BARF meal.
Regarding bones I have been feeding Fern the odd chicken wing before I started her off on BARF dinners as that was the bit that was worrying me most. I know now that she crunches them well befopre swallowing. I have been doing a bit of reading up and don't think it will be the end of the world from a nutritional point of view if you don't add bones for a week or two as a lot of the minced barf contains bonemeal anyway, but it will mean that they have no method of cleaning their teeth for a while and I understand that the raw mince tends to stick to their teeth. I think you should take the plunge with meaty bones asap myself. Have you got  Tom Lonsdales 'Work Wonders'? and Kykythy Schultze 'Natural Nutrition for  Dogs and Cats'?

Just for the record. Fern loved her first BARF meal. Raw minced chicken, a dollop of whizzed carrot, celery and cabbage with a turkey neck for 'pud'. She is munching on a whole carrot as I type....

The books I have are Work Wonders by Tom Lonsdale and The BARF Diet by Dr Ian Billinghurst.

Its the bones that worry me too, I did give them all a chicken wing a few weeks ago. Sapphi and Max had terrible diawotzits, Barney was fine. Sapphi was the only one who crunched it properly, the other two barely crunched at all.  ph34r I've since had the tip to bash them first which I'll try. I'm thinking I might try lamb ribs first rather than the chicken wings and see what happens.

The mince and blocks I've got do have ground bone in, so nutritionally that would be ok, but yes they do need to get chomping on the bones for their teeth. I know Sapphi will be fine in terms of crunching, but both boys are rubbish a chewing so it might take them longer to get into it.

I make my own treats which the dogs love ;) and the small delicious as they have mollases in. I was given the recipe by my breeder.

These two love nothing better than, carrots and apples as treats.

Is that something you can share with us Lisa?

I will stop their other treats then, await the Bonio at bedtime backlash  ph34r  :005: I think I will chop up bits of fruit and veg each morning to carry as treats.

Do you think it would be ok to cut up bits of raw meat to use as treats when we go training or should I just stick to things like you make? I need to have something to capture their attention while training. I have been using cooked chicken, ham, cheese and hotdog.

When Poppy came home I started her on the mince and as advised by Penel kept her on the same variety for a few days - this seemed to make the transition very easy. Then I added in chicken wing tips after only a few days - she loved them and at 8 weeks old she has had no problems crunching them up!

How useless are my boys.  ::) Little Poppy at 8 weeks old can crunch away at chicken wings and they were just so rubbish at it.
Then again I reckon the only reason Sapphi has no problems is she built her jaw strength up by getting up my carpets up and ripping them to shreds as a young dog.  >:(

Rawhide is banned in this house, Sapphi used to eat it without problems but then seemed unable to digest it and would throw it up after a few days. We tried again a little while ago and the same thing happend.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 02:28:45 PM »
Bailey can be a little bit of a gulper  :005: so to make sure he crunched the wings ( when I first moved him onto barf) I used to hold one end for a long time while he crunched up the other end in his mouth.

This seemed to get him used to cruching them up. Some people might say this is a bad idea of course - but it's just my experience! :D
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 02:53:21 PM »
I used to hold onto chicken wings and breast of lamb for Bella until she learned how to chew properly. I remember not long into the BARF diet I gave her a rabbit's back leg and she swallowed it whole - brought it back up not long afterwards with barely a bite mark on it. ph34r

Very different to these days when she'll really thoroughly chew her food, she took about 15 mins with a breast of lamb portion yesterday, kept trying to swallow it then going "nope, too big" and bringing it back up for another go until finally she'd crushed and crunched it thoroughly and down it went.  :lol:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 03:09:54 PM »
Bailey can be a little bit of a gulper  :005: so to make sure he crunched the wings ( when I first moved him onto barf) I used to hold one end for a long time while he crunched up the other end in his mouth.

Me too, just until Ruby understood she was supposed to chew her food.

However now, if I hold a bone/piece of meat out for her to take, she chews one end and expects me to hold the other!  If dogs were allowed grapes, no doubt she'd expect me to peel them for her and pop each one in to her mouth! :005:

Penel

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 08:57:59 PM »
For training treats I use chopped up cooked chicken/ham/sausage - just avoid crappy coloured treats really.  The odd Bonio won't hurt but if you are striving for a more natural diet then you'd be better off cooking your own biccies !
Mine have a dried tripestick almost every day too.