Author Topic: Chicken overload?  (Read 2996 times)

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
Chicken overload?
« on: November 01, 2006, 02:32:39 PM »
Hi folks

I wonder if you could give me advice..... :shades:

I got some raw meat locally for my paddy - and thought great - it was from a doggie person who does BARF - so I got tripe raw chicken mince, beef mince and some chicken wings..

I am still giving pads JWB biscuits mixed up with the meat.  I WAS giving him butchers mince and biscuits, but when we got the new doggie stuff I gave him the Chicken Mince with wet biscuits (not too many) mixed in instead for dinner which he scoffed and I thought thats great Cos he s fussy we gave him a chicken wing after dinner as well and he loved it..although guarded it a little too much for my liking -   unfortunately something did not love him. :P.  He had the runs through the night..  but not too bad so he got more chicken mince and a small amount of wet biscuits for brekkie. 

Off I went to work and OH said he was badly sick and had the runs so bad that he kept trying to go and it was ust water coming out  ph34r - although still pretty bright.. He had scrambled egg for lunch and seemed fine so for Dinner I gave him More Biscuits and a little drop of chicken mince mixed in and all is well??  I used up all the chicken mince and now onto doggie beef mince (which seems fine too) 

Was it the chicken wing, or should Is it the chicken mince??   :huh:  Did I give him too much for his first try of them he is only 13 weeks?  I mean how do I introduce chicken mince slowely

What did I do wrong?  :huh:

OH is well off the idea of raw feeding now  >:(

Not planning staying on jwb - it was a free pack I got from the vets..

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Chicken overload?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 04:38:44 PM »
It is possible you gave  too much chicken, how much would you say you gave him in total. It may also be that his body needs time to adjust to his new diet.
I feed raw and at 13 weeks I was giving mine 4 meals per day but only 2 of them were meat meals and in that they were getting about 50gms per meal max. I would feed a chicken wing after 1 of the meals aswell. I don't use mince either I prefer chunks of meat and I usually mix a few types up together ie chicken, turkey, beef, lamb with a very small amount of offal added ie heart, liver, kidneys.
Hope he feels better soon.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »
I'm just starting to feed raw.  A few weeks ago I decided to give them a chicken wing each. First to have diarrhea was Max, and then Sapphi. It went on for a couple of days. Barney was fine.

I've been told by a few people since that I should freeze all meat first so it kills the nasty bugs, obviously defrosting before giving them it.  I posted, like you have, worried as to whether it meant I couldn't feed them raw chicken. One of the tips I was given was not to feed raw at the same time or within a few hours as the stomach can have difficulty digesting two very different foods.

This was the thread, some of the replies might help you. http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=21674.0
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 09:15:01 AM »
All the meat I give is fit for human consumption and I don't freeze any of it unless I have bought too much. I also feed cereals which can be contravertional with some BARFer's but then I don't follow BARF .I don't give carbohydrates and proteins in the same meal and usually leave at least 3 hours between these 2 types of food to help aid digestion.
I've fed raw now for 4 years and I've never had any adverse problems.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 09:17:02 AM »
Hiyaaaaaaa

Yeah that is what I was going to do - feed cereal and raw meat - so not strictly BARF - he's quite and and down with his poos - I think its ok but then its not, maybe I am giving him too much raw meat, all the meat I get is already frozen so needs defrosted - I'll monitor the amounts - he is not keen on the biscuits by themselves though so wants meat each meal hmm!  Three a day at the moment

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 11:31:42 AM »
I think the thing is that raw and cooked food is digested at different rates. Therefore there should be quite a gap between feeding both unless you want squitty whotsit results. I think hours, but hope a more experienced BARFer will correct me.

Some dogs seem to find that too much skin on the chicken upsets them, so you could try skinning the wings first (easier said than done in my experience).

tbh it sounds as though you might just have given him too much. I can't remember but it sounds like he is quite young and the way I have read it you gave a meal (of mixed raw and cooked) then a chicken wing. I wouldn't normally give an extra wing to Buddy in the evening. If I give a bone for "recreation" it tends to be in the middle of the day, between his two meals.

Anyway, fiddle with amounts and he should be ok. But yes, some dogs don't tolerate chicken for some reason.

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 11:34:49 AM »
Sounds about right

What should I give him along with his mince - as it never looks enough?  Is there something I can mix in?