Author Topic: Help with BARF please  (Read 6936 times)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Help with BARF please
« on: November 08, 2006, 12:11:12 PM »
I changed to BARF a week ago now. For the first few days I used the frozen blocks from PAH, and all of them were fine on those with wonderful poo's.  :shades:

I have to be honest that this weeks been a bit all over the place as I couldn't get everything when I went to the butchers. So until last night they'd had mince & veg, offal & veg and Sardines, Pilchards & Egg.  During the day yesterday all three of them had diahhrea. I did wonder if it was because they'd not had any bone since the last frozen block on Sunday morning and I know that they can go through a bit of detox so I've carried on as planned.

Due to my OH not listening again  ::) he fed Sapphi and Max Lamb Ribs last night when they got home from their walk and I fed Chicken Wings to Barney while they were gone.  I have a couple of worries really. Firstly, although I'd bashed the chicken wing to break up the bone a bit, Barney would chew and he'd crunch but he didn't take bits off he'd chew it all for ages then swallow it all.  :o At one point he was coughing like they do to bring some up and I panicked and opened his mouth and pulled it out of his mouth, but there wasn't anything in his throat. Because I bashed it a fair bit the wings had broken up a little but not that much maybe into two. It took him about 25 minutes to eat a couple. I tried to hold the wing while he ate it but he ended up not wanting to eat it there.

Secondly, this morning Max was having chicken wings. OH gave him them in his bowl and he just licked them and nothing else. So OH said he picked one up but he still wouldn't chew so after 30 mins he'd eaten nothing. So I took over, I held them and when he was trying to chew I moved it to his back teeth and he then crunched and chewed very carefully. When he'd eaten the first one I left him to see if he'd eat on his own. He licked them and picked them up, put them down, licked more and gave up.  ::) So I ended up holding them all and with some coaxing ate them all but it took an hour  :o that doesn't include the half hour he just licked them.  Incidentally he ate his lamb ribs last night, on his own, really slowly but not as bad as this morning, probably 30 minutes. I think they may be too meaty really though as there is way more meat than bone, but that probably helped Max.  :-\
Barney had his lamb ribs this morning, the first one he ate ok, slowly, and there was plenty of crunching, but by the time he got to the second he was bored and I had to keep coaxing him. In the end he ate most but left a small bit of bone, but it took him an hour too.

Sapphi, of course, wolfs her down with her normal gusto.

Is it normal for it to take so long to begin with? Is Max's reservation to chew on his on normal? Should I carry on and persevere, should I change something or try something else? Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me.....please?
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Re: Help with BARF please
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 12:34:48 PM »
I really think it depends on the dog to be honest Sam.

Nance has always got really invovled and chomped and chewed away quite happily.

When Milo  was given his first chicken wing when he was about 4 months, he licked it and licked it to death, but did nothing!! ::) He actually seemed scared of it :005: ::) And then maybe after a few times of going through that rigmorole ::) he just took the wing in his mouth and chomped and crushed it in his jaw. Even though it took him a while, Milo now aged two and a half inhales is wings ::) :005: :005: :005: and the other bones he has, blink and you miss it! ::)

Personally I'd leave Max to it, I bet if he sees the other dogs wolfing theres down and chewing away he'll soon get the idea ;) ;) I think he just needs to get used to the change in diet, its still quite novel for him.

I wish wings lasted for 25 minutes round here, I might get some peace then ::) :005: :005:

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 12:40:54 PM »
I changed to BARF a week ago now. For the first few days I used the frozen blocks from PAH, and all of them were fine on those with wonderful poo's.  :shades:

I have to be honest that this weeks been a bit all over the place as I couldn't get everything when I went to the butchers. So until last night they'd had mince & veg, offal & veg and Sardines, Pilchards & Egg.  During the day yesterday all three of them had diahhrea

There may be a few reasons why they've had the runs:
- not enough bone/egg shell (this is what firms things up)
- sardines (and pilchards?) are cooked so I don't feed veg with these as this gives Ruby the runs; she just has it maybe once or twice a week with egg.  There's nothing wrong with these, but they're not strictly BARF.
- it could just be a change in diet, and it will settle
- offal can sometimes cause the runs, again this is a once a week meal for Ruby

I'd try and get some more bone in to the diet first off.

As for taking the time over chicken wings, I think this is normal.  Ruby gave me a 'what, where's my dinner' look when I first gave her one, and stared at her bowl and then scowled at the wing in my hand that she was being offered.  They soon pick it up.  Flash frying can help, just so it smells a bit meaty.  It's the Lonsdale book I think that says keep offering the food, and then take it away if they walk away from it, and just keep offering them only raw.  It's just new, that's all and once they get the hang of it, they will love it.  Obviously your little Barney being the youngest is picking it up quickest because he's been fed a commercial diet for the least amount of time.

This is the hardest and most worrying bit, but it definitely gets easier.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 02:10:12 PM »
How old are your dogs?
I found when mine were loosing their puppy teeth it could take upto an hour to eat bones, Phoebe even gave up at times. Once the big teeth were through it was back to happy crunching again :D
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Naughty Pair

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 03:38:30 PM »
Hi,

Teri(7mth) eats all her bones really quickly!

Annie (16mths) took her time at first!  Probably because she was so used Nature Diet  She just licked the bones and walked off - so my OH smeared yoghurt over the wings etc and away she went ate the bones etc etc.  I think it just added some flavour for her.

Try putting something over the bones that your dogs like and then let them get on with it.

Hope this helps. :D
Jane
Love Jane

Mum to Annie and Teri

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 04:11:06 PM »
Thanks everyone.  :D

How old are your dogs?
I found when mine were loosing their puppy teeth it could take upto an hour to eat bones, Phoebe even gave up at times. Once the big teeth were through it was back to happy crunching again :D

Max is 17 months and Barney is 7 1/2 months, so can't blame their teeth. Max hasn't really been that stong a chewer, so I guess it will take some time. Thinking about it more its almost as if he really didn't know what on earth to do, you could tell he wanted to as he'd lick them for ages, sigh and start to walk away then he'd turn and start the licking again. You'd think after having the first one held he'd have worked it out.  ::)  I suppose all his life he's not had to work for his food, just hoover it up. As Claire suggested I might flash fry it if I have the same rigmarole next time.

I'd read on here recently that six week old toy dog puppies were eating chicken wings, and a great big Golden Retriever can't get to grips with it even when the bones been bashed.  ::)

This is the hardest and most worrying bit, but it definitely gets easier.

You're not wrong there Claire!!  ::)

I wish wings lasted for 25 minutes round here, I might get some peace then ::) :005: :005:

I wish!!!! I'm too busy keeping watch  :police: Sapphi is not to be trusted!!!  ;)

Try putting something over the bones that your dogs like and then let them get on with it.

I'll try that, thanks Jane  :D
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 04:40:53 PM »
ClLive is an expert bone cruncher now he's been doing it a couple of months, but each time he is confronted with a new type of bone, it takes him a while to get going. First time he had lamb ribs they lasted him ages event hough he'd been having chicken bones for ages. Same with the oxtail - he just moved it around to start with and gave me puzzled looks  :005:

They definitely have to strengthen their jaw muscles - that's probably all Max needs - and that can only come with practice  ::)
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 08:47:55 AM »
Hiya,
i used to feed my cats raw meat every other day to help supplement there diet, these by the way are not moggies. They needed the raw stuff to help boost them as complete foods just are not enough.
Anyway i used to give them a whole drumstick each or a large piece of rabbit, now each cat only weighed up to 3KG so one drumstick was huge and enough. One of them to begin with looked at me and thought "what's this mum are you trying to poison me!" but that soon surpassed. The way they used to chew those bones was fantastic a great work out for the teeth. I never bashed or did anything to the bones as i felt by doing this you are doing the job their teeth should be doing also creating shards of bone. So i just used to leave them to it within half an hour the whole lot was gone.
Just remember to yourself out in the wilds no-one is there to bash or alter there food for them, they just have to get on with it. Bones when raw have a very different consistancy to when cooked.
take care and be brave

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 08:53:23 AM »
...what is BARF??? ph34r :embarassed:
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 08:59:17 AM »
I never bashed or did anything to the bones as i felt by doing this you are doing the job their teeth should be doing also creating shards of bone. So i just used to leave them to it within half an hour the whole lot was gone.
Just remember to yourself out in the wilds no-one is there to bash or alter there food for them, they just have to get on with it.

I agree.  I only bashed the bones for Coco for the first week or two until she got the hang of it - now it takes her no time to demolish a chicken wing  ;)

Subeloo - where have you been?? :005:  If you do a search on BARF you will find out all there is to know!  :shades:
Julie and Watson

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 02:37:21 PM »
So far so good with the switch to barf. One quick question, which of the pre prep frozen blocks has veg. in? The prizechoice or the natures menu?

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 03:11:35 PM »
I think it must be the natures menu as I use prize choice and they don't have any veg in. :-\

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Penel

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 03:22:16 PM »
So far so good with the switch to barf. One quick question, which of the pre prep frozen blocks has veg. in? The prizechoice or the natures menu?

the Natures Menu freeflow in a bag has veg in it - the red and white bag has no grain, whereas the yellow and white bag is lamb, rice and veg.  The Natures Menu blocks have maize in them too.  None of the AMP/Prizechoice blocks have grain in them.

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 03:46:15 PM »
Thanks I am avoiding the ones with grain in, but do the prizechoice have veg in or are they purely meat? One pet shop sells prizechoice at 45p per 400g block, whilst the other sells the natures menu at 69p. I am the one who is preparing all the food. O/h is fine with the idea, just not the handling etc. so on the days when I am not able to prep. the pre prep frozen blocks would be ideal. Just tapping the wise of thier infinate knowledge :shades: and a recomendation for which brand / flavour. The all in i.e with veg. is what would be required I havent asked them what flavour they like best yet!

Penel

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 05:00:52 PM »
The prizechoice blocks are meat only - no veg.  So if you want to feed the blocks, you wil have to prepare your own veg, or not feed any veg.
Or you get the bags of Natures Menu freeflow - the red and white bag, has no grain, but does have veg in it.