Author Topic: Help with BARF please  (Read 6939 times)

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
Re: Help with BARF please
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 05:22:31 PM »
Thanks, they both had their first chicken bits today. Pet shop was closed and Tescos didnt have chicken wings so they had thighs instead. Took tham about 10 minutes to finish them. Not bad for their first time :angel:

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 06:02:06 PM »
I am the one who is preparing all the food. O/h is fine with the idea, just not the handling etc. so on the days when I am not able to prep. the pre prep frozen blocks would be ideal.
Could you not prepare your own bags of mince and whizzed up veg. and freeze them for your OH to use?  :D

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 06:47:22 PM »
Dont Know if the blender could handle boes. Not so much of a problem now as I have mushed a load of veggies, about a weeks worth to add to the amp mix. O/h is ok with this. It wasnt the bones that took the time with the chicken, but the skin.

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 06:51:03 PM »
Not so much of a problem now as I have mushed a load of veggies, about a weeks worth to add to the amp mix.
That's what I meant!  ;)

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 06:54:33 PM »
Sorry was trying to speak to kids and read your post at the same time, bloke you see....cant multi task :lol:

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2006, 08:32:59 PM »
Well what a difference a day makes.

They all had the chicken wings yesterday morning too. Can you believe Max ate his in 10 minutes? and on his own! What a difference from the hour of the day before. Barney tackled his much better aswell, and Sapphi in her usual fashion hoovered them all up.

They had a mix of liver, kidney and heart yesterday for the first time, and here's another first....Sapphi was the last to finish.  :o She was continually eating she just took so long for some reason.

I never bashed or did anything to the bones as i felt by doing this you are doing the job their teeth should be doing also creating shards of bone. So i just used to leave them to it within half an hour the whole lot was gone.
Just remember to yourself out in the wilds no-one is there to bash or alter there food for them, they just have to get on with it.

I agree.  I only bashed the bones for Coco for the first week or two until she got the hang of it - now it takes her no time to demolish a chicken wing  ;)

Its their first week on BARF, though I did try them with a chicken wing a few weeks ago and the boys were useless. Someone suggested bashing them at first, which is what I did. They all seem to be well on the way to good crunching now, so when I prepare the next lot I won't bother bashing them.  ;) I didn't do the lamb ribs and they coped ok with them, so they should be fine now.  :D

I weighed them all last night when we went training. Sapphi looks like she's put on weight and she has a bit, but Max has put on 3kg in a week.  :o So both of them will be cut back, but Barney has lost a bit of weight, not much about 300g so I'm going to keep him as he is and weigh him again next week, unless anyone thinks I should do differently?
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)