Author Topic: BARF and energy loss  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
BARF and energy loss
« on: November 10, 2006, 10:11:34 PM »
Another question to them wot know :shades:. Is there any link between switching from a carb ( JWB) laden diet to BARF. Both myself and o/h have noticed how sleepy both ours are in the evenings, more than usual. I understand about canines differant dietry needs etc, but where do they get thier energy from on a Barf diet? They get a good spoon full of veg stirred into their mince and a carrot to chew. Just wondered if there is a link or are they just feeling sleepy as all children do at times, after all they are only 7 months old.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: BARF and energy loss
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:19:11 PM »
Dogs have no dietary requirement for carbohydrates. They cannot metabolise it as we do. They get their energy from fats, which is why it is important not to feed a totally lean meat diet to them. Are they sleepy or just more contented?Perhaps they are less hyper because of the lack of additives.  Puppies also go through growth spurts (think children for a mo -although analogies between dogs and children are not always appropriate I think in this case it is), where they use more energy, need more food and will spend more time resting.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Tommo

• Site Member
Re: BARF and energy loss
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 10:25:12 AM »
Yeh, thanks for the reply. I have read and re read every thread on Barf on COL. You should charge for your time :shades: just me being an over anxious parent. They are both back to their usual loony self. Your right, I think that they are just content, and detoxing from past diet, not that JWB was a bad feed in any way. Suppose its like some kids react to e numbers in food. But thanks once again for your reply.