Author Topic: diet  (Read 1373 times)

Offline kellymac

• Site Member
  • monty
diet
« on: May 16, 2007, 02:48:28 PM »
Hi everyone

Just waned bit of advice on diet, Monty has been on dry food (proplan) since a pup. Up until recently the food has gone as soon as its put down. But now he does not seem interested in it at all, he will take ages to eat and often leave some too. I have added a bit of mince or cheese etc which seems to help but yesterday vet said not too and leave him on his dry food. Cant help but feel maybe hes just fed up  :-\ :-\.

Do you tend to vary your pups dinners?

Kelly :D

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
Re: diet
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 04:11:31 PM »
We had ours on dry food and found that they just sniffed it and walked away, they would go back for bits here and there, but they never really seemed to enjoy it. We have moved them onto the BARF diet (take a look in the health section). Food is eaten much quicker and there is more variety available to them.

This isn't for everyone but may be worth a look - http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=22308.0 It is a diary of someone who moved to a Barf diet.

Was there a reason why the vet said not to add other things?
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Tony'n'Jo

• Site Member
  • Smudge at 5 weeks
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 04:15:18 PM »
We have had our puppy just 4 weeks now, and he has only ever been fed on dried Pedigree Puppy.
He always wolfs it down :lol: as soon as he has come away from the bowl we remove it.

Could your pup be holding out for something better in his bowl?

Offline kellymac

• Site Member
  • monty
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 05:32:29 PM »
We had ours on dry food and found that they just sniffed it and walked away, they would go back for bits here and there, but they never really seemed to enjoy it. We have moved them onto the BARF diet (take a look in the health section). Food is eaten much quicker and there is more variety available to them.

This isn't for everyone but may be worth a look - http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=22308.0 It is a diary of someone who moved to a Barf diet.

Was there a reason why the vet said not to add other things?

will take a look at the thread, I have heard the barf diet mentioned on before. The vet said there is no need to add anything additional to Monty's diet as he gets all he needs from his dry food and only use the other bits as treat food  :huh:

kelly

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »
I have only given my cocker dry food (royal canin). She has weeks when she just does not want to eat much and weeks when she can't get enough. If I think she is tired of the dry food, I'll soak it and mix in some diluted soup or a crushed liver treat or anything that makes it taste more exciting. But I really do not worry when she does not eat much, because healthy puppies eat when they are truly hungry  :blink: