Author Topic: Autarky Food  (Read 9142 times)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Re: Autarky Food
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2007, 10:26:50 AM »
Nell (lab) was on Aurtarky for about a year, the only reason we took her off it and changed to Burns, was because she had put on weight, and we were having problems trying to get it off.

She is doing fantastic on Burns, she is on the Venison and Brown rice and loves it.

We give her a  teacup twice a day, with Nature Diet or Sardines mixed in with her evening meal,  a bag usualy lasts us about eleven weeks, so i don't consider it expensive. ;)

* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2007, 01:54:11 PM »
Two of our dogs were on Autarky five years ago. Our lurcher did extremely well on it, but our Pyrenees was allergic to something in it and quickly lost condition and went ill. We thought this was just a coincidence... but when I tried him again on the same food several months later, the same thing happened again, so it was definitely something in Autarky that triggered the problems.

They have now been in CSJ foods ever since and are doing great.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2007, 05:08:12 PM »

I haven't been able to find any recommended feeding amounts for Aurtarky - are they published on the packs, does anyone know?

When I compared JWB and Burns - the Burns recommended portions are half that of the JWB portions, so when calculated per meal, Burns actually works out cheaper than JWB as a food ;)

Yes Rachel they are on the side of tthe packet - there is a resting daily amount, a build up daily amount and a working daily amount.

Would post the amounts for the weight of dogs but OH threw the packet out yesterday, if no one else posts I'll get the amounts off a pack at work tomorrow and post for you  ;)

ph34r Sorry Rachel I forgot to look  ph34r will be going in tomorrow and have written it on my shopping list   ;)

Don't know if this helps but when I looked Fern weighed 11kg and on the resting one she would be having 110g per day
(I'll get the proper info tomorrow promise)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2007, 01:07:38 PM »
Rachel

I have contacted Autarky ppl today to see if they will deliver to Islands, if so how much will it be ;)  Just waiting for them to get back to me :shades:

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2007, 02:44:56 PM »
Two of our dogs were on Autarky five years ago. Our lurcher did extremely well on it, but our Pyrenees was allergic to something in it and quickly lost condition and went ill. We thought this was just a coincidence... but when I tried him again on the same food several months later, the same thing happened again, so it was definitely something in Autarky that triggered the problems.

They have now been in CSJ foods ever since and are doing great.

Vera
I was beginning to think it was just me until I saw this post.  Sorry to throw another spanner in the works but Autarky gave Cassie the runs BIG time.  I swapped her back to Burns then - when we had supply difficulties three months later - was forced to go back to Autarky.  There was absolutely no ambiguity about her response - it was all over the kitchen floor in pools! :005: :005:  My other spaniel was actually fine on it but I will never risk giving it to either of them again.  Yet Cass normally has a stomach of iron and seems to be able to digest rancid roadkill rabbit, sheep droppings and fly-egg ridden cowpats with absolutely no ill effects.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2007, 05:00:46 PM »
Although it's £35 for the big bag I find it lasts me ages, at a guess I'd say 10-12 weeks maybe? which is cheap really when you think about it .
I haven't been able to find any recommended feeding amounts for Aurtarky - are they published on the packs, does anyone know?
When I compared JWB and Burns - the Burns recommended portions are half that of the JWB portions, so when calculated per meal, Burns actually works out cheaper than JWB as a food ;)

Weight of dog                 Rest                       Build up                 working

1 - 3 kg                        20 - 35g                   25 - 50g                 35 - 75g

3 - 5kg                       45 - 60g                     50 - 70g                 75 - 105g

5 - 10kg                    65 - 105g                    70 - 115g              105 - 170g

10 - 15kg                 105 - 135g                   115 - 150g             170 - 220g

15 - 20 kg                135 - 165g                    150 - 180g            220 - 270g

There are a lot more weights etc but thought up to 20kg would do most cocker owners if you need further weights just ask  ;)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »
does anyone know if this is also called gusto as in my local tesco they have exactually the same bag size same picture and discription but its called gusto :huh:

anyone no ?

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2008, 08:57:49 PM »
does anyone know if this is also called gusto as in my local tesco they have exactually the same bag size same picture and discription but its called gusto :huh:

anyone no ?

I'll check it out tomorrow and get back to you, as I'm in work tomorrow so will have all the info there  ;)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »
The companies have separate web sites

Autarky
http://www.autarky-foods.com/contact.asp

Gusto
http://www.gusto-dog-food.com/

and different phone numbers, look different  :huh:

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2008, 09:43:55 PM »
oh yeah dont no what made me think it was like autarky ::) i think it was the summer bit of it and it has very similar ingredients and some of the writing on the bag

my tesco dont do autarky so ill have to look elsewhere :huh:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2008, 09:49:49 PM »
I've heard or seen Gusto mentioned somewhere before but can't remember  :embarassed:

Out of curiosity i'm gonna look at work tomorrow  ;)

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2008, 10:12:11 PM »
i did not realize that burns would last that long :o

i was thinking that a £20 would last a week or so

if you feed less and it lasts longer i can afford to put him on it  :shades:

i was just reading up on the pork & potato one it sounds good  :blink:

Offline xlisax

• Site Member
  • Ellie & Max
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2008, 10:27:35 PM »
wow ive just read that a 15kg bag of burns, feeding 100 g a day will last for 150 days  :o

i never realised it lasted so long :005:

and ive found a stockist 2 miles away yippee

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2008, 10:46:46 PM »
wow ive just read that a 15kg bag of burns, feeding 100 g a day will last for 150 days  :o

i never realised it lasted so long :005:

and ive found a stockist 2 miles away yippee

Yes it actually works out to be a very cheap food to feed  :D