Author Topic: Hooves  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Winnie

• Site Member
  • Winnie
Hooves
« on: October 09, 2007, 12:26:05 PM »
I have been struggling to find a healthy chewable 'thing' for Winnie. She has rejected pigs ears, rawhide chews, bones and toys. Denti sticks disappear in seconds so she can't really gnaw on them. My parents have corgis and get hooves from their local pet shop. When we visited last weekend, Winnie 'stole' a hoof and within a couple of hours it was a fraction of it's original size. I have found a pet shop here that sells them (although they are stuffed with a strange dog food that I remove first!), and she has been munching happily every since.

Do your cockers like hooves? Are hooves good for them? I would be interested in your opinions.
Jane and Winnie

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Hooves
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 01:02:48 PM »
What did the hooves belong to originally?  :005:  Are they pigs trotters? I've seen those in the pet shop but have never bought them. Or cow hooves? My lot love chewing on my horse's hoof parings when the farrier's out but I've never seen these for sale. Pigs ears go through my lot like an express train hence I avoid the trotters and wouldn't buy cow hooves for the same reason but as long as they don't upset her stomach and she likes them then I don't think they'll do any harm at all as an occasional chew treat.

Have you looked at the 'exotic' selection on Zooplus? There's probably something there to tempt any dog! www.zooplus.co.uk  Mine love the pizzles and ostrich and deer selections.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Winnie

• Site Member
  • Winnie
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 01:53:19 PM »
Hi Nicola,

Not sure what the hooves are  :huh: but I think they are cow. Winnie seems to have a cast iron constitution and very little upsets her tummy, so I am very lucky.

Thanks for the zooplus link. I feel a shopping spree coming on....

Jane
Jane and Winnie

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 06:38:14 PM »
I used to work with horses and when the farrier came to trim their feet the farm dogs would always pinch the trimmed off bits of hoof.  Not sure how healthy they are but not tried them with bailey.  My local pet shop sells pigs trotters and he likes those :P

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »
I feed hooves as treats occasionally, they don't seem to cause any problems for my two. You can buy them in most pet stores here - the really stink once they are "chewed" though  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 09:58:05 PM »
Unfortunately trimmings from my horses' hooves were the only thing that Stella, my lab, couldn't digest..........they came back with alarming regularity usually on the bedroom carpet in the middle of the night!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)