Author Topic: William's just had his first chicken wing - reassurance needed please! UPDATED  (Read 1232 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
William's just had his first raw chicken wing. He's quite a fussy eater but really enjoyed it after a few seconds of sniffing it and looking at me as if to ask what on earth it was. It took him about a minute to crunch it up quite carefully.

Now I'm getting anxious, simply because I haven't fed him anything raw with bones in it before. I'm hoping that if he takes to it I can give him one a week and it may help with his perpetual anal gland problem. But right at the moment I'm just feeling a biy panicky in case it disagrees with him or causes a blockage or something.

Reassurance needed, please, from those who regularly feed raw chicken wings.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
This could cause a dose of dia-wotsit if he's not used to raw chicken, it took Jarv's system a little while to get used to raw, especially chicken.  I doubt that it will cause a blockage  ;)

Chicken seems to be the protein that most dogs have problems with (and I know William has had food intolerances)  so maybe raw lambs breast (fat removed as far as possible) may be a better bet for William

I know William has had food intolerances - has he ever been allergy tested?
helen & jarvis x

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Mine get them a few times a week and we have never had a problem.
If it makes you feel better Jack has on occasion eaten most of a rabbit (fur,skin,bones,meat, head) and apart from a grumbling tum had no problems.

Offline LindyLou

I understand completely your concern, as I felt exactly the same way the first time ours had them! However, never had a problem! :D

I noticed you mentioned William has had problems with his anal glands. Well, Cleo used to have her anal glands emptied by the vet or groomer, but not after I started raw feeding. It seems the bone firmed everything up, and this obviously helped to express the anal glands naturally!

So, if William's problem is similar you may find the chicken wings could benefit! I really hope so :D

Linda & Baxter

Offline Beth

• Site Member
My little Lucy is one of the smallest, wussiest dogs i've ever met, with teeny tiny little teeth, :lol2: and also has a dodgy stomach at times, but she can happily munch her way through a chicken wing and has never reacted or had any issues. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
This could cause a dose of dia-wotsit if he's not used to raw chicken, it took Jarv's system a little while to get used to raw, especially chicken.  I doubt that it will cause a blockage  ;)

Chicken seems to be the protein that most dogs have problems with (and I know William has had food intolerances)  so maybe raw lambs breast (fat removed as far as possible) may be a better bet for William

I know William has had food intolerances - has he ever been allergy tested?

He's never been tested, but he's definitely OK with cooked chicken and when he was on JWB was on a chicken variety. That was one of the foods where he used to have a bit of a problem with throwing up some yellow bile first thing in the morning every few days, but it also happened with other varieties of JWB and Arden Grange. I avoid anything containing wheat or beef, although he occasionally has a corner of toast and seems OK on that.

I hadn't thought of possible intolerance, but diawotsit had crossed my mind. Maybe I should just have given him half a wing to start off.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
he'll probably be completely ok Elaine  ;)

let us know!
helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Coco has been having raw chicken wings since she was a youngster and never had a problem - he will probably be fine  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Buddy has never had a problem either. Even when he has swallowed one whole! :o :o

Actually, when he was little, I did give him too many and he became a bit "bone bound" which was a bit distressing for all of us (he was screaming as he pood!), but I only give them every two days now at most.

Does anyone else share my frustration that "Happy Chickens" don't seem to have wings? Have a look in any supermarket, I can't find them anywhere.  ::)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Update - pleased to say no problems at all and William has "performed" splendidly this morning :D

Offline babushka

Nice one. Is'nt it a relief :D