Author Topic: Any thoughts on Chappie and pancreatitis?  (Read 20373 times)

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
Re: Any thoughts on Chappie and pancreatitis?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »
I'm so sorry about Maddie Tori, she was far too young. :'( Even though you weren't with her, she would have known you loved her as you were the one who looked after her, and she would have loved you too, always. :luv:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Scrooby

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 04:53:39 PM »
Hello,

My Kai has been on the Chappie kibble (chicken flavour) since the beginning of this year - although we have to mix a little meaty Rocco in with it to make gravy and even then it's not all eaten  ::)  However, having been on JWB, Skinners, Burns, NatureDiet etc. it's the only food that has stopped him suffering from collitis.  Having been fairly painfully underweight for so long, my friend commented how well he is looking now that he's filled out abit  :D

I know folk with many dogs who feed the tinned Chappie.  Our vet recommended it... though our favourite receptionist there doesn't  ::)  She said it's ok if your dog has diarrhoea...

Offline gorgeouspoppy

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »
Hi,
Hope Cassie feels better soon.  :luv:
Poppy my blue roan was near deaths door 2 years ago + was diagnosed with pancreatitis.  She had an extended stay in the hospital + thankfully recovered well. 
She has been on Chappie since - mainly the dry food with some tins of chappie now and again and  is healthy + full of energy. her weight is fine.
She has not had another bout of pancreatitis since, so it has worked with Poppy. :D
Jo.xx
Jo, Poppy, Misty + Kinda.xx

Offline babushka

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »
The tinned chappie is very good and low fat, ideal for pancreatitis but I wouldn't recommend the dry as it has nasty additives in it.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 06:29:30 PM »
My old girl Millie was on chappie (tinned) for around 5 years, she seemed to do very well on it.  Then one week she was poorly and did not want it again so now she is on JWB mixed with a little tinned food and she seems to be doing well on this food.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 06:38:40 PM »
Thank you all so much for your help - especially as it has brought such painful experiences to the surface for some of you.  I have decided to stick with the vet's advice (on this occasion  ::)) and keep Cassie on the wet Chappie for the moment.  I understand all the points the 'antis' among you have raised - and I share many of your concerns - but there also seem to be a fair number who have had really good results under similar conditions.  I suppose that deep down I am just so relieved to find something she is taking with enthusiasm after all the horrors of the past few weeks.  Three weeks ago she wouldn't even take chicken breast and brown rice (and yes, she really is a cocker) so it is just Paradise to see her troughing into manky, smelly old Chappie with every appearance of total ecstasy. But I'll keep a very careful watch and be back for more advice if it seems to be causing any other issues.  It is just so wonderful to nearly have her back to her normal stroppy little self and I am deeply thankful. I still don't understand why Chappie doesn't figure on either the Pedigree or Waltham websites, though.  Is it so cheap and naff that they don't want to promote it? :shades: :shades:

Thanks again to everyone and hugs have duly been administered to Cass from all those who sent them - and about a million more besides from me, in celebration that I didn't lose her after all.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 06:41:41 PM »
Please keep us updated on how Cassie is doing.  Forgot to say Millie was on it because she has a sensitive tummy.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 09:34:01 PM »
Please keep us updated on how Cassie is doing.  Forgot to say Millie was on it because she has a sensitive tummy.

Will do gladly. I'm still nervous about what I'm doing but at least I feel I've made a better assessment of the odds with the advice the rest of you have given.  I just wish I wasn't facing years of cocker kisses with a top note of rancid fish.  :005: :005:

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 09:36:09 PM »

Will do gladly. I'm still nervous about what I'm doing but at least I feel I've made a better assessment of the odds with the advice the rest of you have given.  I just wish I wasn't facing years of cocker kisses with a top note of rancid fish.  :005: :005:

Sadly the breath thing is true  ;) ph34r :D  Still......... ;)     

Best of luck  i'm sure it'llbe fine  :-* :-*
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline vickyl

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 04:49:03 PM »
hi,

just wanted to say that chappie was the only food i could feed my last dog who was allergic to loads of different things. the older she got the more things she became allergic too!

chappie is great for dogs with delicate tummies (the tinned stuff) i couldnt feed my dog the dried stuff as she was allergic to it!!!  lol

yes the chappie does smell when you open the tin, but they eat it quick and i didnt have any bad breath problems with my dog.

my little terier is still on chappie with a few mini mixer biscuits in it and she is doing fine....she has some teeth missing so wouldnt cope with a complete meal, plus she is very fussy and she loves the chappie   :blink: 

i would reccommend chappie to anyone who has a dog that either has allergies or tummy problems  :blink:

Offline fizzyntiffy

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 05:44:47 PM »
Another thumbs up for Chappie.  My other dog has ongoing health issues and currently there's a problem with her liver due to the meds she's on.  Her vet ok'd chappie saying its easier to digest.

After 3 weeks at the vets, and 4 months trying to wean my dog back onto her usual dried food, resulting in continually sloppy poos, she's on chappie only and I don't have to go armed with tissues, poo bags and a watering can after she's 'been'.

Initially I bought the tinned food from the vets but one of the nurses told me in a whisper that chappie was the same stuff - and a damn sight cheaper!!

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 08:55:51 PM »
Thanks a lot, Vickyl and Fizzyntiffy,
I must say, I am beginning to agree with you.  Cass is happy as anything and the 'end results' are just great.  And her latest set of blood tests show her on the way back to normal - a huge relief. The only thing is that I am having the hell's own job in getting the quantities right.  She is down to one small tin (415g- ish) a day - two-thirds of the recommended amount - yet I have just discovered that she has put on a bit of weight this week.  Can you give me any advice on how much you feed your cockers please? I can't give Cass her usual amount of exercise at the moment as she is still getting over the pancreatitis but even so she is getting a good hour a day plus a lot of bouncing in our garden (and all over the floor, my desk, bed, sofa etc.  Why oh why was I so soft when she was ill?  >:D)

Really pleased to have heard from you.  :-* :-*
Annie

Offline vickyl

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 11:03:10 PM »
hiya,

my cocker is on arden grange and so far so good so cant comment on how much to feed a cocker......

but my 10kg terrier is on half a tin (normal sized tin, 412g) plus mini bite mixer. i feed her two meals a day so she gets quater of a normal sized tin and a handful of mixer in each feed.

my other dog (now gone) was about 21kg and she was on one and a half of the bigger tins (double the normal sized tin) a day split into two meals. so she had 3 quaters of a 824g tin per feed twice a day. she would have eaten more, but she was on steriods and was always starving bless her  lol

are you giving your cocker anything else with the chappie? remember that the amount on the tin is only a guideline. the normal sized tins say to give my 10kg terrier 1 and a half tins a day, but she only gets half a tin and a couple of handfuls of mixer (so thats nearly two thirds less than they advise on the tin!!!) and she is perfect weight.....if i gave her any more she would get way too fat!! she always gets a clean bill of health at the yearly vet check.

i think if i were you i would feed according to your dog....if she is getting a bit porky, just reduce the chappie a bit, they usually advise to feed more than most dogs actually need on these tins as you can see by what i have said above about my terrier. obviously you wont want to add the mixer because of her health problems, but i would reduce the amount of chappie a bit.....you can always put it back up again if she starts to get a bit too thin  :blink:

reading back it sounds like i starve my terrier, but she really is the perfect weight for her size and really doesnt need any more  :blink:

oh, and all our 'end results' are perfect too  ;).....like i said before i would highly reccommend chappie for any dog with delicate tummies....  :blink:

best wishes, vicky

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 08:02:15 AM »

are you giving your cocker anything else with the chappie?

Just a couple of raw carrots and a bit of cooked broccoli.  

i think if i were you i would feed according to your dog....

I am, I am - that's why I am still juggling amounts and getting her weighed twice a week and asking other people just in case I'm way off beam on quantities.

oh, and all our 'end results' are perfect too  ;).....like i said before i would highly reccommend chappie for any dog with delicate tummies....  :blink:

With you there.  Thanks for your help.

Offline fizzyntiffy

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009, 05:00:44 PM »
Can't help with amounts either I'm afraid as my dog that's on chappie isn't a cocker. 

I would agree with vickyl tho and maybe reduce the amount a bit as cassie isn't having as much exercise at the moment, you can always increase it if she starts looking too thin and/or her exercise is increased.

XXX to Cassie