Author Topic: Starting BARF any tips??  (Read 11349 times)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
Re: Starting BARF any tips??
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
Well I gave mine a try on the liver today, cut it into small pieces and mixed it with their trip, they loved it.  :o  I was really surprised at Jade as she will not normally take anything slimy off me, she was sat taking bits of liver out of my fingers.  :D  Just started them on a small amount, but was really pleased that they liked it.  :shades:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2009, 04:03:38 PM »
So glad they all like it AnnieM, I haven't given mine any yet, they are supposed to be having it tomorrow morning :D

I have just got back from the Vets with Mollie as her tail had been hanging down drooply since yesterday, last week when it was like that and I took her to the vets, her anal glands were full so they emptied them and she was a lot better after.  The vet checked her over today and emptied her glands again as there was some in there but they weren't full, then she saw that her skin was a bit patchy around the base of her tail, which she has also had this a couple of week ago too along with patches on her belly, but once I have put the fuciderm on it, it seems to clear up.  Anyway I got a different vet (3rd vet in 3 visits) and again she asked me what I fed her on, I told her raw diet and she seemed to know about it and started to tell me to make sure I was doing it right and giving her enough of a variety to make sure was getting all that she needed.  She then started to explain to me that they have seen dogs that have a build up of calcium in their stomachs (I am guessing from too many bones) and they have to come in daily for enemas.  I didn't like the sound of that and felt she was most probably trying to explain the downfalls of not doing it right, but it also frightened me too.  Anyway she started to tell me about hypo allegenic dried foods as cockers are susceptible to getting skin complaints, but then I said that would only attempt to clear up the skin condition and not help the anal glands.  She told me to keep up the fibre content in her diet.  At the moment I am using up the Pro Fibre and have some All Bran on standby.  She also asked me if Mollie's problems had got worse since I had changed her diet?  I said that the reason I had changed it was due to the fact it was starting to get worse, but then in my own mind I do wonder if it hasn't helped :-\  but feel like I should stick with the raw feeding as I will never know otherwise, and when I started her on the raw I did forget to give her the Pro Fibre that she has been on for months.   I just came out of there dissapointed, I suppose I am trying to do my best for her, but when they push their opinions on you, you do start to wonder :-\

Sorry about the rant I just felt like I needed to share what had happened.
Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2009, 12:06:41 AM »
Oh dear, sorry your vet was less than supportive.   >:(  I was very surprised that mine was all for it, but he is an old fashioned country vet and has fed his dogs raw for years.  ;)  I am sure someone said that it can take up to 6 weeks to start seeing any real benefit from the raw diet, so stick with it for a few more weeks, especially when you can see the dogs enjoying it so much, if you then don't see any change, or a worsening of the condition, then have a rethink.  :-\  Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better, it is like humans who do the detox diets, all the bad stuff had to come out and they can look and feel like c**p, before they start to look and feel better.  :D

At least you know you will get all the support you need on here.   :D

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2009, 07:51:06 AM »
Our vets is a country vets too, and the previous two vets I saw were non judgemental.  I suppose I am just worried as her condition has worsened more since I have started the raw feeding and I feel a bit responsible :-\ and not knowing why her tail is hanging down and she looks so glum.  Maybe she is a little sore around her rear end, but then I go back to thinking I am making it worse :-\.  I did forget to give her the Pro Fibre for around a week so maybe this is the knock on effect of that, so I have uped her fibre intake hoping this will sort it out. Daisy is eating the same as Mollie and she is fine :D

They both had chopped liver today and it went down a treat :D

Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2009, 09:38:54 AM »

As others have said, it can take a few weeks for the health benefits of BARF to really show.... in that time some things (especially skin conditions) can actually get worse before they get better.... but in general after a few weeks most owners say their dogs are looking much healthier, and owners of dogs who have suffered with skin complaints say symptoms are much reduced.... (this is my experience from people on the yahoo group  ;) ).

I would keep giving Mollie her Pro Fibre/All Bran for a while and once she is settled on BARF you can try to reduce it... but I would reduce it gradually, so that her system has time to adjust...  :D

As Clairep4 says, psyllium husks are a great natural way of helping bulk out stools if BARF on its own doesn't quite solve it...  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2009, 02:34:29 PM »
As Clairep4 says, psyllium husks are a great natural way of helping bulk out stools if BARF on its own doesn't quite solve it...  :D

I've just been looking on the Dorwest Herbs site and it states that there are Psyllium husks in the Keepers Mix which I am giving her daily, so would that be enough or should I buy some more psyllium husks?

Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2009, 06:04:28 PM »

Not sure, to be honest...

I guess see how she is doing on the Keepers Mix (once she has adjusted to the new diet) and add some more if needbe...  :dunno:

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2009, 06:48:38 PM »
Thanks for that Karma :D  I got some more Pro Fibre from the vets today as I will get it back on my insurance until I can get her anal glands sorted and I am happy to change her over ;)

Thankfully we have got the source of her pain with her tail hanging down, it seems that she has hurt her lower back so she is now on anti-inflammatories.  I am so glad as it has put my mind at rest about the raw feeding :D  The vet checked her anal glands and they were normal :D

Mollie and Daisy are still really enjoying their meals ;)

How are you getting on AnnieM?

Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2009, 04:31:01 PM »
Great thanks,  :D  they are still loving it and I am finding it much easier to do than I thought, as long as I remember to take it out of the freezer, DO NOT try to thaw tripe in the microwave.  :020:  The microwave still stinks and it has been dettoxed 3 times.  ph34r  They are still only having chicken wings for bones though as I haven't managed to source any from anywhere else yet, except pork ribs from tesco, but as they had the squits I decided to wait a while.  I am still having problems with Jazmins anal glands too, although she isn't under a vet for hers, I have bought wheatbran to try instead of the allbran, but am going to try the psyllium husk, do you just get it from the health food store? 

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2009, 04:39:27 PM »
Funny you saying about remembering to get the food out of the freezer, one morning around 4am my mind was working overtime and I couldn't sleep and then suddenly I realised I hadn't got their food out, so I had to get up go down to the kitchen and get the AMP block out of the freezer, it was still partly frozen at 6.30am ::) ::)

Thanks for the advice on the Tripe and defrosting ;)  I tried to defrost a Lamb AMP block and it ended up cooking, it stinky and smelt the room out, but I am guessing not half as bad as tripe :005:

I am not sure about where to buy the psyllium husks, I have looked on the internet and can see them for sale, but then you have to incure P&P, so not sure :-\

I am keeping Mollie on the ProFibre for the meantime, but might go down the psyllium husk route at some point ;)

Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »

If I ever forget to get the food out of the freezer she either gets fish, or she gets it still frozen!!  ;)
Tripe especially!!!

I once tried cooking a mix of liver, egg and tripe in the microwave to get her to eat it and my goodness was that foul!!!  :020:

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2009, 11:18:17 PM »
OMG, I just logged on for a quick browse before I went to bed, not sure I will be able to sleep now, I will have a mental picture in my head and nostrils all night.   ph34r

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2009, 11:23:51 PM »
OMG, I just logged on for a quick browse before I went to bed, not sure I will be able to sleep now, I will have a mental picture in my head and nostrils all night.   ph34r

It's not called BARF for nothing  ph34r :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2009, 09:16:50 AM »
 :005:  I had wondered.

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2009, 01:19:40 PM »
My girls are still really enjoying their meal times :D  This morning my OH had to get up 15mins earlier than normal, so I stayed in bed but my two went down stairs to the kitchen with their Dad thinking they were going to get fed, little did they know that they were going to have to wait for me to come down and prepare it :lol2:  Daisy just couldn't wait for her brekkie so she started pawing him whilst he was walking around the kitchen trying to get him to feed her :005:

They both aren't fussy about what they are getting, luckily they aren't turning their noses up to the Keepers Mix that I put on their food so that makes life easy.

I am also finding it much easier with having a weekly menu on the wall, so all I have to do is take a quick look and get the stuff out of the freezer.  I also thought I would be having to go to the butchers every week and do lots of running around, but all the stuff I bought is lasting a lot longer than I thought :D

So it is all going well, the girls are happy as larry and it's not as hard as I thought ;)

Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)