Author Topic: Harringtons, Iams or Wagg  (Read 10296 times)

Offline grunty

Harringtons, Iams or Wagg
« on: December 01, 2009, 09:32:04 PM »
Hi which food would you say is the best from the following, Harringtons, Iams or wagg? In general which is the best dry dog food?

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
Re: Harringtons, Iams or Wagg
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »
we usually get the wagg and its been fine for our two. get it from costco or makro, much cheaper!

we suppliment it with fresh fruit and veg and some leftovers also.

i think if you have workers or are showing you will need better quality food though.

i am sure someone more knowledgable will come along shortly!
with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!

Offline mcphee

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 09:44:35 PM »
Rufus has Harringtons turkey and veg for breakfast (just under half a cup), and half a pack of Nature Diet for tea.

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »
meg used to be on iams and loved it, but then put some weight on after she was spayed so we put her on the 'light' for a while, but then the supermarket stopped selling it so she was on pedigree for a bit, and now she has become lazy :005: so she is on Hill Prescription J/D- more expensive than we would like but hopefully she wont need to be on it forever! I would recommend iams xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:18:11 PM »
I have Roxy on Harringtons, I swapped to that from JWB as its lots cheaper and I can get it in Tesco and Asda but is still quite natural with no colours etc in.  I haven't noticed any difference in her since swapping...

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
I've never heard of Harringtons but Iams is one of the firms who test their products on animals (I don't mean just getting them to eat the food, I mean cruel, painful experiments  :'(), so I would never ever buy Iams.

I feed my dogs Wagg, they love it and do very well on it.

Offline little4scale

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:28:46 PM »
yes charlie and oliver are on wagg twice a day. they do different types for workers or delicate diets.
ollie has to have a spoon full of  butchers mixed with a little bit of water for gravy,
no problems so far they seem to love it. :blink:

love charlie brown and oliver twist

Offline chanellie

• Donator
    • Equine Market Watch Sanctuaries (UK)
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »
Harringtons made Molly "silly"

Iams won't feed on principal.

Wagg my old Staffie lived well on for 13yrs - - usually mixed with a little bit of tinned food  to moisten it for her.

Molly I am going through a feeding "nightmare" at the moment, after she was ill last week I moved her onto Arden Grange but it doesn't seem to be agreeing with her (she is restless and not herself) so I am going to try her on Wagg.

I did have her on a very expensive feed for nearly a year to improve her condition but I simply can't afford to continue with it.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
We tried Harringtons, but my dogs won't touch it, wagg is ok (ish) but to be honest I probably wouldn't touch any of the 3 you mentioned, they may be cheaper, but you have to feed more, so it's false economy.

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 02:15:42 PM »
We tried Harringtons, but my dogs won't touch it, wagg is ok (ish) but to be honest I probably wouldn't touch any of the 3 you mentioned, they may be cheaper, but you have to feed more, so it's false economy.

why do you need to feed more of the cheaper foods?

with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!

Offline mcphee

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:23:10 PM »
The quantities for Harringtons do not appear to be any different from those stated for JWB, which Rufus did not like. He has been on Harringtons for 2 years or so, not because it is cheaper, but because he eats it, his coat is good, his poo regular and the ingredients seem acceptable to me. I also like to support a smallish British company.

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:45:36 PM »
My two are on Wagg and I know it is not an approved food, I do not buy it because of price and would be offended if anyone presumed I did andI know it could be the reason behind their pongy breathe but they both devour it and Sally used to be really picky before so in my world weather it is the equivelant of feeding them Macdonalds every day or not I have two happy, healthy, fit cockers and they have been eating this for 2 years so I'll stick with it unless something happens that forces me to change
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 05:04:33 PM »

why do you need to feed more of the cheaper foods?

Because they're often bulked out with cereals, fillers etc. and fewer good quality ingredients so they need to eat more of it to get the same level of nutrition.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline grunty

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 05:19:43 PM »
im confused as wagg says no artificial flavours or colours ? isnt this what we are talking about free from additives at a much cheaper price?

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »
Lemmy is fed Harringtons just under half a cup in the morning and the same at night with a teasoonful or two of sardines pilchards or tuna  :D his fur is silky, no problems with food, more than enough energy, is never sick, Im really happy with this food and as Mcphee says its a little British Firm, doing right for Dogs  :shades:
I would not feed Iams on principal.

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World