Author Topic: Scots Porridge Oats  (Read 9711 times)

Offline superscot

• Donator
Scots Porridge Oats
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »
Bumped into an auld guy this morning while out with Brea and subject came round to Food

Now Brea has always been one fussy little lady on the food side.

The auld guy had 1 cocker and 2 Springer’s that all behaved impeccably and full of life and coats shining on them all

His remedy ...Porridge Oats for their breakfast!
New one on me!

Each dog given porridge at breakfast time every day ...as follows ........1 soup ladle of oats then 275ml skimmed milk and a tiny and he did say a tiny drop of sugar..........3 mins in the micro stirred and allowed to cool then fed.....Nothing left each morning   was his words

Tempted to try Brea.....thoughts please

Cheers Colin

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Scots Porridge Oats
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:45:16 PM »
my dad gave our family dogs porridge in the winter - he said it 'warmed them up' for the day  :D  (and then they had table scraps and a vile looking dog 'sausage' food and enormous dog biscuits for their main meal).  They all lived long healthy lives.

Not sure if I would solely feed porridge as a meal but I can't see that the odd meal would do any harm  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:51:41 PM »
he said it 'warmed them up' for the day 

Helen his words exactly. He also said it was a very slow release protein/energy food for them and having had dogs for more than 50 years and all living well into 12 to 14 years he swears by it.

trial in the morning with Brea  ;)

Cheers Colin 

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:54:21 PM »
I haven't previously fed ours Porridge Oats, but i would possibly try this on a cold morning, maybe once a week.  :-\   although with warm Goats Milk not Cow's.

All my 3 love their food, so now and again its nice to vary their food.  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline maggieann

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:58:51 PM »
I have porridge for my lunch every day and always give some to Torin - he, and my previous dogs, all loved their porridge. :D
However, Torin once stole a cooked chicken carcass and the next day I was just giving him plain food -  he turned his nose up at porridge. ::)
Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:59:31 PM »
I wouldn't feed it all the time but I often give Tilly and Rodaidh a bowl of warm porridge (with goats milk and no sugar) before a shoot rather than their usual breakfast if it's a really cold day. It warms them up and is slow releasing energy, my Stepdad has always done this for his Springers which is where I got it from. They absolutely love it although as I said I wouldn't feed it every day, more as a treat every now and then or if they're working in the cold.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:59:37 PM »
Goats Milk not Cow's.

Ninasmum can i ask why ? Is goats milk better for them ....I have never ever tried it myself ..Mind of reading somewhere dairy products are not good for dogs .... :-\

cheers colin

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 11:00:12 PM »
It took Jarv until he was 4 years old to lose his fussy eater status and now he's a piglet...be careful what you wish for  :lol2:

I'm sure she will love porridge - there's something about warm food with a teensy bit of milk that draws a pooch in every time  ;)  Goats milk as Ninasmum has mentioned is digested easier than cows milk, but a small amount of skimmed will be ok I'm sure.

will look out for the porridge update tomorrow (and may treat Jarv to a bowl as well  :lol2: )
helen & jarvis x

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 12:21:22 AM »
OH gives ours porridge for breakfast 2 or 3 times a week in winter.  Always has done.  They love it.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »
When my grandmother had a small-holding keeping rabbits, pigs, ducks, geese etc, everything had porridge in the morning, even the bunnies :lol2:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 08:38:54 AM »

I have not given our two porridge. In this cold weather I have been adding water to their dried food  into the micro for about 10 to 20 secs on 50% power  so it becomes a warm meal and the water makes a bit of gravy with the kibble.   Might give the porridge a try, have been having porridge for breakfast like mine with honey and natural yogurt on top

Offline babushka

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 09:18:12 AM »
I use oats  with their kibble in the morning with some hot water,( if they're looking a bit lean looking)
It's a healthy way of bulking them up.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 10:30:08 AM »
I like porridge in the winter for breakfast, specially if I am going out on a meals or books round, sort of warms you through and lasts a while in the system too.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »
Well tried it with Brea this morning and not one single oat left in the bowl gone in seconds  :blink: :blink: :blink:

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »
Tempted to give this a try, my 2 will eat anything anyway.  We've got oats in the cupboard when we had visitors & I prefer the oat so simple  :D   Wonder if it will do the trick for Max before an agility show, he likes to sleep for a couple of hours after his breakfast  :lol2: & Harry is looking very lean at the moment, this could be the solution - a weekend treat  :D
Maxine owned by Max & Harry