Author Topic: Scots Porridge Oats  (Read 9712 times)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Scots Porridge Oats
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »
Mine have always had a porridge type meal every morning (bar their fast day). I use wheat, rye, barley flakes and porridge oats soaked overnight in milk. If the dog struggles with milk and brings it back as a "mucussy vomit" you can add honey to the mixture.

We've only ever had one dog who struggled with cows milk and it was years ago. Goats milk is an alternative, but it is expensive as it only seems to come in small cartons of about 1L, so with a few dogs it soon goes.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 11:24:34 AM »
My parents have always fed their dogs porridge oats for their breakfasts, without exception they have all lived well past usual life expectancy for their breed ;) They feed burns as their main diet but always porridge. They also add cod liver oil capsules (opened and squirted into their food) when they are getting on in years. I will also add that none or their dogs has ever had to be PTS due to ill health.
They have had 12 dogs that I can remember all different breeds from yorkies to GSD'S, They now own a black lab who is 11yrs young, she has the mearest hint of grey on her muzzle and is as energetic as ever strangers are shocked by her age, she looks about 6 I would say, never had an ailment only goes to the vet for her boosters ;)
Think I will give Belle some, don't know why I never have  :lol2:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 12:46:49 PM »
He He, don't tell the powers that be or we will end up paying VAT as it will be classed a 'pet food'.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 12:54:15 PM »
He He, don't tell the powers that be or we will end up paying VAT as it will be classed a 'pet food'.
:005:   But if I only feed mine before a show would that mean it's for working dogs?  :005:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 12:58:33 PM »
:005:   But if I only feed mine before a show would that mean it's for working dogs?  :005:

erm!! not sure  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »

Well I only feed it to mine before they go out working so it should be exempt :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 03:58:11 PM »
My old girl Millie was starting to struggle eating her dried food in the morning, so now she has porridge for breakfast soaked overnight in water as she has a bad tummy and i did not want to risk giving her milk.  I add a little bit a dried parsley as well and she absolutely loves it,
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 04:37:36 PM »

Well I only feed it to mine before they go out working so it should be exempt :005:

Sounds like you both have it 'covered'.

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 07:18:28 PM »
Poppy is very partial to porridge, the OH has to wrestle with her daily to get his first  ph34r

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »
I never ever thought of giving charlie porridge in the morning.  O/H and I both had it this morning for breakie so I could have made some for the boy as well.  I dont put any suger in ours only some salt and a drop of semi skimmed milk.  I might try giving him some the next time we are having it as well get plenty in a box lasts for ever.  Not sure he would be willing to give up his burns in the morning though in place of porridge.   
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »
Well Brea has had most mornings and she is fine and bowl is clean each breakfast.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
Bobby scrounges like crazy for a share of mine, mind you, it is awful to get off the long silky ears.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline JohnW

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 11:04:23 AM »
Mine all love porridge, workers and show. We were told of its benefits by an old farming gent who has worked his dogs for over 40 years.  :D

Offline octopus

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »
I give mine porridge oats cooked with water - nothing else - and it goes down a treat. I think mine eat anything anyway tho'. Good to hear other folk give it too. How much oats do you think is right for an average cocker girl  (spayed)?
Annie G

Offline mezzaj

• Donator
  • Lucy and Baby Bailey
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 11:06:08 AM »
Thought I would try Lucy with some porridge this morning and what a surprise she actually ate the lot!!  Brilliant!! :luv: