Author Topic: Feeding Nature Diet alone  (Read 1250 times)

Offline woodlander

Feeding Nature Diet alone
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »
We have fed Sweep JWL kibble since she was small but to be honest I have never felt that she really enjoys it.  Walks up to bowl sniffs and walks away again.  Have mixed it with warm water added sardines, chicken occasionally as a treat. 
I am coming to the conclusion that she doesn't really like kibble.  In this feeding section you guys mention Nature Diet and Nature Menu both good quality wet foods.  Bought a packet of each to try out.  Nature Menu has given Sweep the diawosits although she almost inhaled it.  She also seems to like Nature Diet but no diawosits this time so might switch to Nature Diet in due course.

My question is do we need to feed kibble at all?  I am also presuming that Nature Diet a complete food. Does anyone else have a dog who is not a fan of kibble.  Is it important that Sweep has some "crunch" in her diet.

Any advice most welcome

PS We have got sample of Heathly Paws kibble which will be trying out.

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
Re: Feeding Nature Diet alone
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »
Mine won't eat dry kibble on its own. I feed a mixture of Nature diet and JWB. I divide the tray of ND into 6 cubes and feed 2x cubes per day with about 80g of JWB split over 2 meals. I haven't just fed ND on its own, I think from memory its 1.5 trays per day.

In any case I would introduce the ND gradually so that will give you as an indication if she will eat mixed. I also give mine raw chicken wings as substitute for 1 meal every now and then.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:05:40 PM »
For various medical reasons, I feed Cassie on Nature Diet alone.  (Originally the vet specified tinned Chappie but after a month I simply couldn't face the smell.)  She loves it and has had absolutely no ill-effects from it.  But I too worry about the lack of 'crunch' and the effect on her teeth.  So she gets lots of raw veg as well (mainly carrot, cabbage and broccoli) and I brush her teeth every other day.   

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:21:45 PM »
Maggie's not a huge fan of kibble but she knows thats what she has in the evening.... She has half a tray of Nature Diet in the morning, and then a "handful" of JWB kibble in the evening with either fish/raw veg/occasional egg added to it just to make it more palatable/nutricious etc
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 07:33:02 PM »
Katie, has half a tray of ND with a handful of terrier meal twice a day because she cannot take Kibble (wet or dry).

Smudge has a small amount of ND with his Burns.

The terrier mix supplies the crunch and slows Katie's eating down a little.  :005:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »
Chloe is a spoilt little brat madam. She has naturediet (a tablespoon) mixed with her Burns kibble....she aint too keen on dry kibble  :shades: ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye