Author Topic: Wainwrights puppy food  (Read 9333 times)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Wainwrights puppy food
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »
Is Wainwrights puppy food considered a good food for pups? Or would a move to JWB / Burns be better for a pup??
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline mooching

Re: Wainwrights puppy food
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:37:13 PM »
From the look of the ingredients, I'd say that there's not really much between the 3 of them really. Wainwrights and JWB are about the same re protein levels, Burns is lower (that's one of their "things"). But all 3 appear good brands (haven't really looked in Wainwrights, but the ingredients look good). I think that Wainwrights is Pets At Home's own brand, which in itself makes me a bit leery, but hey that may just be me. I wonder who makes it for them?

Out of the 3, only Burns don't test their products on animals, if that makes any difference to you!

Are those the only 3 you want to consider, and are there any particular factors that are important for you?

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »
Pupster is currently on Wainwrights, it's not a food I've fed a pup before thou - JWB and Burns are readily available locally and I'm trying to support our local pet shop as it's on the verge of closure  :'( so picked what seemed to be the best of what they stock, and would be available if they do have to close.

I want pupster to be fed on kibble, for my convenience and because raw meat / dog food makes me feel  :020: ph34r
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline mooching

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 02:51:48 PM »
Oh, is he on Wainwrights wet food, not their kibble?

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 02:56:24 PM »
Sorry - Pupster is on Wainwrights puppy kibble, just wasn't sure if it was the best thing for her

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 02:57:36 PM »
We used Wainwrights for a while as puppy food when coming off of the breeders food, and it seemed fine at the time. Although we use Healthy Paws now as it's the only food Baja can cope with at the moment  :blink:

Offline mooching

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 03:00:13 PM »
If you're wanting to support your local pet shop, you'd need to go with JWB or Burns as you can only get Wainwrights from PAH. If you change her over slowly, there shouldn't be any problem.

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »
Freddie was on Wainwrights from the breeder so we kept him on it but he had awful poo on and off so we changed to Barking Heads with no improvement. He is now on Natural Instinct chicken and is fine. I don't think it was Wainwrights causing it per se, just that he doesn't seem to be able to cope with processed kibble. I do wonder what they have to do to it to make the ingredients look and smell like that!
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Manchester_Spaniel

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:46:59 AM »
Hey we changed from JWB to wainrights recently, on JWB our fredster was never quite firm if you know what I mean  :-\ however we changed to wainrights as it was as easy to get hold of for us (burns was my next choice after JWB but its a pain for us to get hold of) and he is doing great on it, nice and firm and he wolfes it down.