Author Topic: Worried  (Read 1161 times)

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
Worried
« on: September 05, 2010, 01:32:29 PM »
I have started Selby on Raw meat and bones, much to my OH disgust so I said to him this morning look it up on the computer and when you have read all the positives about raw then make up your mind if it is right or not.  Well the first thing he read was about a dog that had died on the BARF diet, when a chicken bone punctured his bowel and the vet told her that he had seen a few and was really against it and told her to snap a chicken wing bone and see how sharp it was, she also mentioned that her vet had not tried to sell her any other dog food so he had nothing to gain from his comments on Raw feeding.

I am now really worried that I am doing the right thing, could I just feed raw meat and not give him the bones, I have a freezer full, OH thinks I should try him back on a different commercial dog food, but he loves his raw meat, If i stooped the bones could I just feed fish with bones in.  I am obsessed now looking at his Pooh to make sure there is no blood!!!!

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: Worried
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »
You can buy a complete raw feed, its called natures menu (I think  ph34r :005:) and comes in bags of frozen nuggets. Made up of meat, veg and bone meal. Charlie and Millie have this for tea and dry food for breakfast. Well actually Millie has just been having dry as I don't have a freezer at the moment and her poos are definately not so firm. We buy it at pets at home or countrywide stores.

Millie

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 02:18:57 PM »
Sounds to me that the horror story your DH read was probably a cooked chicken bone.  When bones are cooked they become very dry and brittle and of course they would be sharp.  You should only ever feed raw bones to a dog and I have never read of any dog getting into difficulty with raw bones.  Mason has had two chicken wings 3 times a week since he was 15 weeks old and has never once struggled.

If it really has put you off then another completely raw convenience route is this company NATURAL INSTINCT  I get Masons food here and the quality and service is 100%.

Raw feeding is something you need to be completely comfortable with so take a step back and do some further research.  I found this site HERE had some very helpful answers to many questions I had.
Elaine & Mason X

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »
http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

I tried to find some statistics for you but came up with this for now ...in particular, if you scroll down to the  'but aren't chicken bones dangerous?' paragraph
Google is a fantastic tool unfortunatly your husbands found 1 negative & it's made you unsure  (if you google how many people have choked to death on a cup of tea, there probably would be one too  ;)  )
I can only say that my 3 have all had bones for the past 8 months & all seems well so far - dogs digestive systems are made to cope with bones far better than comercial diets.
I've recently been in touch with the makers of Natural Instinct BARF dog food & was kindly sent some information ...don't know if it will be of any help or interest to you, so I've PM'ed that to you aswell (it's a fair bit of reading & too long to post on your thread  :005:  )

Don't give up just yet mlynnf50 - I'm sure someone else will come along to reassure you soon too  ;)

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline LindyLou

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »
I was in your position exactly, and wondered if BARF was the way to go. My vet frightened me to death with his opinion, so as all sensible cocker owners do - I posted on COL about my concerns.  ;)

Here is the link to my original post 2 years ago and some of the great advice and info I got:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=44951.msg635054#msg635054

Hope this helps, and by the way, there have been incidents of dogs choking on pieces of kibble too  :shades:
Linda & Baxter

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
I've been feeding raw for 8 years now but I researched (not saying you haven't) about raw feeding and took a long time to build up the courage to do it. I hadn't read about other people doing raw when I decided so I didn't have people telling me how great it was, it was just a natural progression that I came to myself. I never had problems with any bones given to dogs over 8 weeks old, but I followed a book which said give meat first then bones right afterwards so I never gave chicken wings until my oldest was about 12 mths old. But she was having lamb bones and chicken thigh bones after I cut all the meat off these bones.

I have only had a problem with chicken bones with this last litter and it was because they were so greedy and seemed to be just swallowing whole or crunching once or twice and then gone. I do remember Bronte woofing  either a wing or a thigh and although it went down fine, the day after she was having a real struggle having a poop. I then realised there was a shard of bone protruding from her bottom but part of the shard had also snagged her bowel wall and it was just stuck. I took a pair of long nosed pliars, stuck her on a table, steadied her with one hand and split the bone in the middle with the other so she could pass it, then sitting with a ice pop on her swollen botty with KY jelly on it whilst just getting her checked over by the vet. After that I decided they were too eager with their food so either held wings with a pair of pliars whilst the pups ate most of it or bashed the bones until they were more like pulp so there were no large shards. I didn't have any further issues after that. These pups were between 7-8 weeks at this time.

I also know of a dog who was given a cooked chicken carcass and it splintered inside the dog and they lost her, she was only about 5 yrs old at the time and it was such a shock to hear when they told us. Up until that point I'd never known any dog to die from eating cooked bones, despite the warnings, and to this day I have never heard of another, known personally to us.

If you are feeding raw your dog will need to be fed bones. But I always tell people you have to be 100% sure that you want to feed raw because there are so many people who will condemn it so you need to be sure its what you believe in. I can only say dogs over about 4 mths of age who are deemed healthy should have no problems eating and digesting bones, but if you are slightly worried there is no harm in pre bashing your wings and bones to within an inch of their "life" with a hammer so that you are sure there are no large splinters. You can also get minced meat for dogs with the bones already ground up in it.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 05:27:05 PM »

You've had some great replies here....

As others have said - there can be risks to any diet... but vets are actually very poorly educated about diet and nutrition, so even when they aren't trying to sell a commercial brand, very few have actually looked into the facts sufficiently to advise on raw feeding - the information they receive during their training is sponsored by dog food companies...  ;)

Honey has been raw fed for over 2 years now... after the first couple of weeks, when there would be occassional small pieces of bone in her poo as her digestive system adapted to doing what it was designed to do, there have never been any shards come through her system, and she has had no other problems...

As Bluegirl says, you really do need to feed bones along with meat, to get the correct calcium to phosphorus ratio... there are a few people who manage this with egg-shell, but it's very hard to do and I wouldn't like to try and advise anyone on how to go about this...  :-\

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:28:33 AM »
Thank  you all for your replies at least I feel a little better now, OH just said if anything happens its my fault!!! but I do feel that this is far better for Selby and he enjoys his raw food and is now actually gaining weight :luv: and I can also see a positive reaction in his behaviour he is far calmer and lots more relaxed.  can I just ask if I could give ground bone meal instead and just recreational bones? Thanks again all x