Author Topic: pigs kidney???  (Read 12374 times)

Offline ebony girl

pigs kidney???
« on: July 20, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »
mum has given me some pigs kidneys for the dogs, but im not sure 1) if they can have them or 2)how do i feed them...ie.cooked or raw (bearing in mind that my dogs only have the occasional raw food) 3)how do i cook it??

thankyou x

Offline black taz

Re: pigs kidney???
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »
use it to make livercake - otherwise i usually just boil it and feed it to them (i am sure you could feed raw other - others may know)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »
If yours aren't very used to raw I'd either do as black taz suggests or just add a few small raw pieces to their normal food. Kidneys are rich, raw or cooked, and I think if you give them a lot when they're not used to it they may well end up with the dreaded diawotsits ph34r

Is it fresh or previously frozen? If fresh, you could divide it into small portions and freeze so you can use a bit at a time.

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 01:08:04 PM »
thanks guys.....its fresh so i am gonna boil alittle to add to their food, and make some liver bread (im hoping someone on here will give me a nice easy recipe  ;)) then freeze the rest....... :D :D

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
I feed raw kidneys to selby and he loves them, just start off with the smallest amount

Offline black taz

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »
there's loads of livercake recipes on the internet, but as a rough guide i usually buy 2 or 3 packs from Asda, liquidise it (you will need a strong stomach for this, smell is yuk) add to eggs, couple of cloves of garlic, grated carrot (or other veg) optional, then mix it with flour until it is slightly thicker than sponge cake texture.  then just bake for 20 - 25 minutes.  You can replace some of the liver with kidney (or i supposed you could make Kidney cake!)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 02:24:44 PM »
If yours aren't very used to raw I'd either do as black taz suggests or just add a few small raw pieces to their normal food. Kidneys are rich, raw or cooked, and I think if you give them a lot when they're not used to it they may well end up with the dreaded diawotsits ph34r

Agree with this - Coco has it raw mixed in with her mince.  Too much kidney or liver in one go could lead to disaster  ph34r  Have used it to make treats too - just use the same recipe as for liver cake.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »
thx everyone.....im gonna put a tiny amount in with there food tonight....i was thinking perhaps a piece the size of a large marble each (chopped into tiny pieces obviously)....does that sound about the right amount??

i do actually like the idea of dogs with raw food, and they do love raw chicken, what other raw foods are good for them?

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 06:59:36 PM »
I feed them raw but it does seem to be an acquired taste because Penny will eat them no matter if I gave her a whole kidney or in bits. The other 3 will only eat kidney if they are cut into tiny pieces and mixed with other raw meat (or if I give them after their fast day when they are starving ph34r).
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.