Author Topic: Mine field of food and treats  (Read 473 times)

Offline Geena

• Aimee's otter impression!
Mine field of food and treats
« on: January 12, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »
Aimee is 12 week old Cocker Spaniel pup.  She is doing ok on her present feed, James Wellbeloved Turkey and Rice, but has started to lose interest in it, as in that I put it down she squirms around he bowl looks in and has a few then goes to bed and eats them later!  She has 4 meals a day which adds up to 210g, she weighs 3.8kg doesn't look fat and wormy.  She was wormed by breeder and flea treatment with advocate which does some worms too.  I am thinking of moving to another brand of dog food,  all the other dogs in the house are on Beta Active, but they aren't too keen on that either!  Any ideas or tips? Also would like to give her nice treats too.  I am no very good with abreviations so please try to limit them, sad I know as I am 29 :luv:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Mine field of food and treats
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »
Have you tried putting a little bit of hot water over her food? If you leave it to soak for a bit (it obviously needs to cool down a bit before you give her it), it can make a kind of gravy and can sometimes tempt dogs to eat the kibble if they aren't too keen. I had to do this when mine were teething as it obviously softens the texture of the kibble.

For treats, mine love Primula cheese, pieces of hot dog, liver cake, Harringtons training treats (they also do a bag of puppy treats)& fish4dogs training treats.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: Mine field of food and treats
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:34:05 PM »
My pup has James Wellbeloved (JWB) too.

However when he was teething he went off the kibble - too hard for his teeth; even softened.

So I switched to the JWB pouches that they do - my logic was that is was the same food so wouldn't be too much of a change for his belly.

Now he's got all of his big boy teeth he eats the kibble - he has access to kibble all the time (although he doesn't eat it unless it's given to him), he gets a combination of hte JWB pouches (generally 10 for £5 at Pets at Home) and the Pedigree puppy pouches and tins.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)