Author Topic: Bananas anyone?....Update - and dried ones too!  (Read 8467 times)

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
Bananas anyone?....Update - and dried ones too!
« on: April 24, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »
Maisie has taken a liking for bananas. I'd tried her with them when she first came to live with us and she turned her nose up well and truly and so have only just offered them to her again this week.

Does anyone else have a banana eating cocker? I only ask because I'm wondering if, given in any quantity, they can give them the runs? So far she's only had bits but I get the impression she would rather like me to be more generous :lol2:

Also, do dog digest bananas in any beneficial way?

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
Re: Bananas anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »
My eldest two love bananas - hazel is yet to try them. 
I would imagine too many may cause the runs, mine get half each and are fine with that. Jennie did once manage to steal 4 off the counter and consume them, without skins! Clever but norty girl!  She wasnt too runny just volume!  :lol2:
Sometimes I stuff their kongs with banana :)
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline redlottie

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 04:47:08 PM »
I have 2 banana mad cockers to the point I have to sneak out of the room to eat one  ;)

They like them frozen as well

My two probably share a banana every other day and I have never had problems with them having the runs but I guess thats not an awful lot of banana really

It does make me laugh when they get so excited about them.. my youngest one though wont eat them unless they are overripe  :005:

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
My old dog used to love banana and oranges.
If you peeled an orange out of his sight he could obviously smell it and come running for his slice or two, never did eat a whole orange once he came to live with us !! :005:
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »

My two love bananas too.  Dylan sits next to OH  at breakfast and waits for his morning treat. :luv:  They also like pears and apples, but not the cores.

Erica

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »
Apples pears and orange segments here too  :005: I do tell them as they are eating them that they are mainly carnivorous and I never did see an orange with legs  :005:
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
Coco loves bananas but she only ever gets a bit of mine or I mash it up with yogurt to put in her Kong (then freeze it) ;)  She also loves carrots, broccoli, cabbage, apple and her absolute fave is melon especially water melon  :005:  Not sure she would be too keen to be a vegetarian though  :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
Most of ours eat bananas (along with a range of fruit and veg)

Oscar used to love them though and given the opportunity would eat them skin and all!

They're high in potassium and therefore good for dogs with colitis (which Oscar had) so I always use them as treats.

We live near a primary school and one day Oscar found a banana stuffed into a bush near the school (presumably rejected from a lunchbox  :shades:). He was so pleased and from that day on, despite his arthritis and wonky hips, would run to the same bush.  :luv:

Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline miajemima

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 08:40:25 PM »
yes Mia loves bananas too. she has some of mine every morning and sometimes stuffed in her kong. :banana:

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
Pippa would love bananas - we have to watch her when the kids are eating one as she will go for the skins... (and wolf them down!)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »
My 2 love bananas. If I have one with my breakfast cereal I cut the ends off and give to them and I put mashed banana in Kongs with stuff like cottage cheese and peanut butter and freeze them.

Both William and Louis have eaten discarded banana skins that they've found during walks without any ill effect. I wouldn't expect it to make Louis ill (after all, he's eaten a live Greenfinch, dead birds, a crunchy pheasant leg and bits of dead seagull with no problem) but William wasn't affected either and he has a much less robust digestive system.

Offline rubytuesday007

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
Ruby loves Banana and apple in fact they are the 2 foods we have to watch when we are eating them because the little menace would attempt to steal given half the chance! she also likes cucumber!

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »
I always thought bananas were bad  :huh:
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
Bananas, raspberries, blueberries, oranges, strawberries, pears.................anything!  I have fruit gannets ph34r
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline cockerdoo

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 08:19:03 AM »
What age would you start to give a puppy any of these fruits?  At the moment I am being really careful and just giving her the complete food and scrambled egg for breakfast.  I would love to start introducing some other foods but don't want to risk  her having the runs :lol: