Author Topic: Best wet food for puppies?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline bessymate4eva

Best wet food for puppies?
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »
Chester seems to be a real fussy eater. We have had him on all sorts of foods but he only seems to eat a little bit. He is currently on barking heads puppy kibble. The other day we bought him a small pack of wet puppy food just to see if he might enjoy wet food a bit more. We mixed it in with the dry stuff and he actually ate 3/4 of it  :o. The wet puppy food we got him doesnt really have good quality ingredients and was just wondering if there were wet foods that doesnt have all those additives in etc.? If you use wet food what do you guys use?

Thanks

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
Re: Best wet food for puppies?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »
Nature Diet puppy is good.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:10:53 PM »
Lola has Barking Heads Kibble and Natures Harvest Puppy Wet food which you can get from P@H and is made by appointment to the Queen! I reckon if its good enough for the Corgis its good enough for mine lol  :005:
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline jessandme

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:51 PM »
I can recommend Naturediet, it is excellent quality in every respect.

One thing I would just say - you are doing your little pup no favours by changing his food all the time.   You are actually reinforcing his picky eating habits.   I would strongly recommend that you pick a good quality food and stick to it.  If he doesn't eat it within 15 or 20 minutes, pick up the bowl until the next mealtime.  

It is absolutely fine to have kibble for breakfast and wet food at teatime, and it can be very convenient to have a dog who is happy to eat either type of food.  

Offline karen488

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
Darcey never used to eat her food as a pup. Wouldn't let it concern you if they're growing and active  ;)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:03:37 PM »
All my cockers including Archie went through a picky phase so I think it's quite normal. Nature diet is an excellent quality wet food. Archie has only wet because he just wouldn't eat kibble. Like you i tried a few different ones because he just wouldnt eat. He started on Naturediet but is now on Wainwrights wet and it is brilliant. He LOVES it and it is a good price, especially in bulk boxes. I was worried about feeding just wet at first but it's great.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 10:40:08 PM »
I moved Brodie onto wet food a few months back - NatureDiet is excellent and was the first wet food Brodie was on, but she is now fed Wainright's which she absolutely loves - the ingredients look great too. My girl is incredibly fussy but this is the first food I have actually seen her pester me for. I never thought I'd see her so excited for her dinner :shades:.

Lily's Kitchen is another food I like the look of.

Edit - I agree about being careful not to reinforce his fussiness though, a lot of dogs do go through a phase as pups.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Yomper

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »
we have been through all of the dog foods too and have mi.xed wet with kibble. from jwb to arden grange to naturediet and mixing the both but now we are on barking heads. oscar really seems to enjoy this food and for the first time the last month he pretty much always eats it apart from those odd days when they eat hardly anything except the crap they find in the fields and woods! after mixing wet with kibble after a while oscar seemed to prefer kibble on its own. i guess its trial and error with all dogs but naturediet is a good wet food as barking heads is a decent kibble

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Are you serving the kibble dry or mixed with a little warm water?  If he's teething he may be finding kibble hard work  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »
Nature Diet puppy is good.

Yep I used Naturediet puppy for Katie and she loved it. Smudge still has a little Naturediet Lamb mixed in with his Burns Kibble.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 05:08:06 PM »
Bella as a puppy went right off her burns kibble so we mixed in a small amount of burns wet food plus a bit of water and she loved it, has ever since and she's coming up to 5yrs.
So when we got Molly we transferred her to burns puppy then at 6 months introduced wet food too, now they're both on the same. They have 2/3 dry to 1/3 wet.

(burns wet is for dogs 6months plus)