Author Topic: Royal Canin vs James Wellbeloved ? or other ?  (Read 11164 times)

Offline rivendell07

Royal Canin vs James Wellbeloved ? or other ?
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »
Hi we are having a new Cocker puppy tomorrow.  Our existing Cocker has been brought up on James Wellbeloved since birth as recommended by her breeder.
Our new cocker however has been weaned on Royal Canin and her breeder swears by RC.
Have just come back from the pet shop to get some RC in, and the pet shop strongly recommended a food called Symply !
We know nothing :huh: and wondered what people on the forum recommended - and probably more importantly why ? 

The pet shop lady was going on about RC being a lot of maize which would go straight through with no nutritional value and that JW was whole animals ground up, including the bones  :P - sounded like a sales ploy but as I said before we know nothing !

Advice would be welcome !

thanks

Offline black taz

Re: Royal Canin vs James Wellbeloved ? or other ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 06:02:55 PM »
i moved mine onto JWB from Hills Scientific (following advice here on COL of some of the ingredients in Hills).  They are both doing extremely well on it.  I think i have read somewhere that Royal Canin does have more maize than JWB but someone will be along shortly with advice. 

THere have been previous threads on feeding, so it may be worth a search

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »
I'm not keen on RC but James Wellbeloved is meant to be quite a good quality food - I've never heard about it having whole animals ground up in it :huh:. It does have beet pulp in it, I believe, which a lot of people (including me) aren't keen on. Brodie was fed it when she was younger and she did well on it.

Never heard of Symply before, I've had a quick look and it looks good (I'm no expert, though). Although again it has beet pulp in it. I wonder if the pet shop is on commission...

As Black Taz says, I'd have a look through the threads on here, there are a few very good foods out there. Hope tonight goes quickly with you!

x In memory of Barney x

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »
Ultimately it depends on what suits your dog best. Mine are doing well on JWB as it seems to suit them (they came to me on RC as puppies), I found the white fish one best - the turkey one gave Dexter dreadful wind and he was a bit sloppy on it.

For a while with my two I had the older one on JWB and the puppy on RC until he was well and truly settled, then I gradually weaned him onto JWB puppy. Luckily it works for both of them  :shades:
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline Chillis

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 06:48:27 PM »
Out of the two- id personally go with JWB. Nought wrong with having whole animals, bones, bits & all in :)

Offline rivendell07

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 07:56:39 PM »
Thanks all - yes we've searched on-line, but want to make the right choices for the new puppy.
Really appreciate all your advise. 
Getting a golden cocker - Maisie - 8 weeks old to be a friend to Jess (Blue Roan)

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »
Ive moved Freya onto JWB fairly recently, shes nearly three and its the only one that has suited her perfectly. We've had Burn, CSJ, Arden Grange, Barking Heads, a lot of the good ones and they have not suited her for one reason or another. I think thats just it, I would have loved her to be on Barking Heads as it is the one I like most down to ingredients, but her coat suffered on it. So its not neccissarily "the best", its what suits the dog. My new rescue lab is also on it but I found she had anal gland issues on it  :020: However, with the addition of a little bran she is doing great on it too  :blink:

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »
I think it is all down to personal choice and what suits your pets best. We love RC for both the cats and dogs. Second choice would probably be JWB. Ours didn't do so well on Iams or Eukanuba. The cats seem to suffer with hairballs more whilst on Iams. I will wean our new puppy onto RC when he arrives and if it doesn't suit will happily move onto something else. Good luck with your new arrival  :luv:

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 08:24:15 PM »
I have 2 cockers on RC and 3 on JWB I would recommend both  :blink: have good results with both

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 07:22:04 AM »
Personally I would stick with the RC for a while and see how the puppy does, as moving to a new home is a big step for them

All mine I have kept on what ever they have been fed on to start with and bought a big bag of it and then if I was going to change them change after that, as then they have settled in and the slow change to another food is easier on them (As long as the food suits them)

The only time I have changed a food as soon as they have arrived is when one arrived on Bakers - he was my rescue boy and was put straight on to JWB

Never heard of Symply - so off to google it - WOW, just had a look and TBH it is very good, however not much different from JWB except for the price (Think out of JWB and Symply I would stick with JWB thanks very much )

Good luck with the new addition  :luv:

Offline rivendell07

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
Thanks again all. Have got a bag of puppy RC in and part way through bags of Jwb and RC for Jess we'll stick with those till we get back from hols and see how they are doing.
Since introducing Jess to RC she has bottom shuffled more. So think we will try a change but not till after our hols in August.

Sounds like these are all reasonable foods though so not doing bad by the dogs with any of them.

Cheers for advice

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
Obviously pup is best left on the food the breeder has weaned her onto, or you could get 'dire' consequences  ;)  I have always used RC with my litters and found it a very good food, we've tried others but always come back to RC.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 10:54:19 AM »
Archie was weaned on JWB mixed with Naturediet but the JWB gave him very loose poos - several people on here seemed to have the same issue. I switched to RC as my previous cocker thrived on it but it really amped up his (already bad) hyperactive nortiness.  >:D I would stick with the RC initially but if you do decide to switch to JWB just be prepared for possible nasty messes to clear up.  ;) (Archie ended up refusing all kibble in the end and is now wet fed)

Offline maddy74

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »
Our local pet shop was pushing us to swop for Symply and gave us free samples. Willow has been on a variety of foods in her young life as she suffered with colitis as a pup. JWB didnt agree with her and would give her wind and sloppy poops. I believe recently they have changed some of there ingredients, Willow was on it previously.

We have now settled with 'barking heads' after doing lots of research and finding what best suited her. She seems to like it and no wind and sloppy poops so thats a bonus  :005: :005:

Offline Catie74

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »
I used Symply for quite a lot of Archie's puppyhood.  It suited him ok but he has bad allergies and eventually there seemed to be a problem with this for him.  I have tried so many foods but now have him on skinners field and trial duck and rice which suits him ok.  It is a lot cheaper too as you don't pay VAT on it.  It suits Archie ok although I am about to try him on The Natural Dog food company as I have my other cocker on it so it would be easier to keep them on the same food. 

Symply is a good food though

Here is a link to the natural dog food company
http://naturaldogfoodcompany.com/