Author Topic: Should I change food again?  (Read 698 times)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Should I change food again?
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »
When I brought Henry home at 9 weeks he was on a food called Chudley's (which has mixed reviews), and so when I got a free sample of Hill's Science Plan VetEssentials Puppy food from the vet I thought I'd try him on that (before reading all the negative stuff on here). I did the change gradually and he had a tiny bit of runny poos to start with and now he's almost completely on the stuff and his poos are fine and he seems happy on it. I'm now running out and wondering whether I'm better off changing him again onto something different/better (perhaps James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin (I have another voucher for a free kilo from the vet!)) or should I just leave him on the Hill's Science stuff for a while?

I can't feed him on any frozen stuff like Nature's Instinct as I have the tiniest freezer in the world (just the compartment at the top of an under-counter fridge), so dried food suits me better.
My thoughts are to keep him on the Hill's for a couple more weeks and then change again, around the time when I reduce his meals to 3 a day (about 12-13 weeks).
Any advice?

Offline sarahm2008

Re: Should I change food again?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »
Im only a new cocker owner myself but I would personally say keep him on what he is to save swapping and changing, having said that my pup is on Arden Grange and he is has been absolutely brilliant on it so far ....I guess you need to do what you think is best but if you are going to swap again try and keep him on it :-\

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:47:08 AM »
Im only a new cocker owner myself but I would personally say keep him on what he is to save swapping and changing, having said that my pup is on Arden Grange and he is has been absolutely brilliant on it so far ....I guess you need to do what you think is best but if you are going to swap again try and keep him on it :-\
Definitely don't want to change again after this (if I do change!) until he's off puppy food - will try to keep it as simple as possible after this (although he adapted well to the first change). There are just so many foods on the market and everyone has such different ideas about what's good - makes it so hard to know what to feed him.

Offline DunbarKev

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:50:20 AM »
If he has taken well to HSP then I would advise against changing again, from everything I have read on COL members always say try and remain constant with feeding, especially with puppies.

Offline emma_and_tilly

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:00:58 PM »
Personally if it suits then I'd not change, perhaps as he's coming off puppy food to junior/adult maybe make the change then.

Offline john51

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »
While I understand why people recommend against changing food frequently I'm going to stick my neck out and say it might not be a bad idea to change sooner than later. The main reason I say this is that Hill's just doesn't seem like a great food. If you are feeding this until 1 year-old it's a long time.

The biggest ingredient is maize, not a great ingredient because of the poor relative bioavailability of the proteins, and the fact that grains can't provide all the amino acids needed means that they shouldn't be a primary ingredient. Maize is also one of the bigger culprits for causing allergies. Dogs evolved to eat a mainly meat-based diet -just ask the BARF advocates, and high grain recipes are more about low cost production than quality nutrition. Also, the meat is not fully identified other than as poultry (of which min 30% is chicken), and it does not identify the fats other than as animal fats. On top of that it uses beet pulp (low food value, allergies) and some unnamed digest (of what?) presumably to flavour the food.

There are many much better foods than this for your puppy though, as you say, it is a bit of a nightmare deciding, given the number of views about the best foods to feed.

One final rant: the fact that there are puppy formulations in the first place seems to me to be driven by two things. Firstly, the marketing approach of creating niches to add apparent value to the product (Hill's are masters at this). Secondly, the fact that most dog foods are now so low in protein and fat, due to the high grain content, that the food that is sold for adult dogs is no longer nutritious enough for puppies. I'm sure that dogs in the wild didn't create a special food for their offspring. If you look at the better quality grain-free kibbles (Taste of the Wild, Orijen, Acana etc.) you will see that they meet the requirements for nutrition for dogs of all life stages. You could feed your puppy one of these (giving more than recommended for an adult dog) and continue it throughout their adult life knowing that the quality of ingredients is far better than those used by Hill's.

Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Hmmm, lots to think about! I think I'll get a kilo of the Hill's to tide him over and gradually change to another in the next couple of weeks. I clearly need to decide what to change him on to. I think given that he managed the last change really well then he should have no problem. I don't want to just keep him on something of poor quality for the sake of not changing! He does quite a few poos and I've read that that might be a sign of lots of filler...