Author Topic: Anything that compares to Arden Grange?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline sarahm2008

Anything that compares to Arden Grange?
« on: July 13, 2012, 12:26:45 PM »
Can anyone recommend any puppy food which compares to Arden Grange nutritionally with high meat content but doesnt quite cost as much?
Sandon is currently on Arden Grange as that is what breeder recommended but im conscious its pretty expensive although I know you get what you pay for.
Im in two minds when this bag is finished to keep him on it or slowly swap to another brand...
any thoughts/ideas?

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Anything that compares to Arden Grange?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »

Sometimes cheaper foods are false economy as you have to feed more.  I don't think I would go swapping and changing just yet if your pup is still young or you may risk major upset tummy

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »
I agree best not to change for now. Also, you feed less of the high quality foods. It might be best to buy a smallish bag to start with as they don't get through it very quickly when they're tiny and I find it loses its freshness if you keep it too long.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »
I would keep him on it, its one of the very best kibble you can buy, Anything that "compares" with arden grange will have a comparable cost.
Its false economy to buy cheap food as with the filler etc  you will end up feeding more, therefore having more "waste" too imo.

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »
than kyou for your responses, I thought that would be the case so will keep him on it as advised.
Also one last question, do your dogs wolf down their meals in literally 60 seconds? Im  a newbie to all this but was extremely suprised as to how quick he eats his meals ending with hiccups everytime!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 04:36:57 PM »
Also one last question, do your dogs wolf down their meals in literally 60 seconds? Im  a newbie to all this but was extremely suprised as to how quick he eats his meals ending with hiccups everytime!

Yes!  >:( 

There are a few things you can do to slow him down though - put his kibble into a toy such as a kong or buster cube so he has to work to get it out or put a tennis ball in his bowl so it is harder to wolf it down.  You can also get special bowls with knobbly bits in them to slow down the speed at which they eat  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline maddy74

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:40:34 PM »
Willow was a greedy sod when we first had her, still is tbh  :005: Weve got a bowl identical to this to slow her down..... Her tum used to make weird noises before we had one of these bowls like she was going to bring everything back...this soon stopped that  ;)

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/greedy-gulper-bowl.aspx

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »
My mums dog has one of those bowls because her dog inhaled his, she got hers at PAH and paid about £8 for the large bowl

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 06:51:37 PM »
whats PAH? I think I will invest in a bowl, I was concerned I wasnt feeding him enough to start with but I think he is just greedy!
He wolfs it down and then gets the hiccups straight afterwards! I have a Kong but he hasnt paid it much attention, will get one of those bowls and give it a shot

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 06:57:39 PM »
PAH = Pets at Home  ;)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »
He wolfs it down and then gets the hiccups straight afterwards! I have a Kong but he hasnt paid it much attention, will get one of those bowls and give it a shot

Glad someone else's gets hiccups - mine does all the time! They never last very long and are very cute, but it could be because he eats too quickly, I suppose.

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »
I invested in an anti gobble bowl used today for first time and it worked brilliantly! No hiccups and ate much slower! Would recommend!

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »
Ruby had Arden Grange for a long time, but then she seemed to go off it and wasn't really eating much.  After a bit of research (mostly on here) we tried her on Harringtons which is available at most supermarkets, seemed a pretty good quality and quite a bit cheaper than Arden Grange (not that price was a major issue, we just wanted her to eat!) She loved it and still does, firm poos usually twice a day. She is now 19 months old and is healthy and thriving. They have a website so may be worth a look. As others have said, I wouldn't change food at the moment but it could be an option in the future.
Lynn