Author Topic: Veggie Chews  (Read 565 times)

Offline john51

Veggie Chews
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:15:43 AM »
I took Lenny to the vet recently because he had had a touch of diarrhoea on and off for a while. The vet said it was probably food related but before I got into the full food trial I noticed that it seemed to be triggered by beef that we gave him as an occasional treat (We keep leftover meat in the fridge to use as treats for after ear-cleaning etc.)

So the working assumption is that he's intolerant to beef, although he sometimes scavenges on walks which means that it's not clear cut. So no beef, but that means that rawhide chews are out as well as most commercial meat-based treats as they list meat derivatives as an ingredient.

The vet mentioned that vegetable chews might be a good substitute, but can anyone recommend any brands and sources of veggie chews that give a good long chew? Also, the ones I've seen on the internet all seem to be wheat based. Are there any that are based on other veg, say sweet potato or whatever just in case there are reactions to wheat?

Thanks.
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Veggie Chews
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:32:28 AM »
Hi John
does it have to be veg?
if not zooplus do chews of venison,
ostrich etc.
www.zooplus.co.uk/
steffxxx

Offline john51

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
Thanks, Steff, I hadn't thought about more exotic meats! That might a good alternative as well.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 05:55:36 PM »

Fish4Dogs have just brought out a  sea jerky and sweet potato chew. My two love them. Also a dried cod chew, which last a bit longer.

Erica

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »
Have you tried the antos veggie chews? Molly loves them and they're widely available in pets at home and online. I wouldn't say they're as long lasting as, say, a big rawhide or pizzle, but they keep Molly happy for a while. They come in different shapes too, like hedgehogs, toothbrushes and crocodiles, so they can't be gobbled in one!
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
Have you tried the antos veggie chews? Molly loves them and they're widely available in pets at home and online. I wouldn't say they're as long lasting as, say, a big rawhide or pizzle, but they keep Molly happy for a while. They come in different shapes too, like hedgehogs, toothbrushes and crocodiles, so they can't be gobbled in one!

The Antos Cerea range, including the crocodiles and toothbrushes etc. are described as veggie chews but have a lot of wheat starch in them. William can't tolerate them at all. The Antos Farm range is wheat and gluten free and based on potato starch.

This link shows which have wheat in them and which don't, and you can click for more details of exactly what they're made from http://www.veggiepets.com/shop/vegetarian-vegan-dog-chews.html

Offline john51

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 09:41:05 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for all the information. It's hard to believe the variety and shapes of the chews available. You don't think our dogs are spoiled, do you? That link to veggiepets.com is very useful.

John

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »
I have a dog that is allergic to all animal protein, so he is on a vegan diet. He always gets veggie chews when the others get their normal ones and he likes them. Only problem is that they don't usually last as long as the others. (PS. Have you seen the veggie pigs ears... LOL).

Other chews to consider if it's only beef that is a problem is venison ears, austrich chews, turkey chews, dried fish etc. There are so many different chew types out there now that it shouldn't be a problem to find. Zooplus is my favourite place to shop for them too.  ;)
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »
Ooo I thought about your beautiful
Flash :luv: Vera when John posted
this :D
steffxxx