Author Topic: what kind of bone  (Read 431 times)

Offline sarahm2008

what kind of bone
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:30:15 PM »
Sandon is 5 months now and is fed on arden grange which he is thriving on so I have no intentions of changing however as he is left every morning in the week for 3-4 hours I thought it may be nice to leave him with a bone once in a while for him to chomp on-especially as his back teeth are coming through I think he will appreciate it!
I ideally thought about getting a bone with a hole through the middle which I could stuff with cheese/treats when he has eaten whatever is there already...however clearly you can tell I know nothing about this so am hoping you can tell me:
what is the best bone as a treat
Where do I get it from

The ones at pets at home look massive for starters and also looked cooked? I thought it was a bad idea to give dogs cooked bones incase they splinter? Maybe they are dried though? no idea!! i officially have my L plates on!!!
 :lol:

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Re: what kind of bone
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:25:11 AM »
I'd be a bit wary of leaving him alone to chew on bones.

They're great for their teeth though and Bingley absolutely loves getting bones.
I usually pick up 'stock bones' from Morrisons and they do the trick. They're pretty cheap. If you go to the butcher you might be able to get some even cheaper or perhaps even free.
I don't like those ones you see in PAH etc., they stink and on the label look to have lots of additives and stuff. Each to their own though.

Sure someone will come along to give you more specific things to ask for!

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
Agree about not leaving him alone with bones - just in case. I think the general rule is that you should ask for weight bearing bones. That said, Archie has had some beef ribs in the past and has been fine, no splinters. I supervise constantly and take them away when they look sharp though. To be honest, he's quite lazy and usually asks me to hold it for him  >:(

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »
Could always leave him with a stuffed kong - When mine were pups I'd leave them with a kong stuffed with cream cheese and then frozen (to make it a bit more of a challenge).  Now that they are older they get them as a treat filled with cream cheese, some kibble whatever I know that they like - keeps them occupied for ages. :D
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »
Yes I'd never leave a dog with a bone if am going out - kong is best really - may be use some of their food in it so you don't overfeed them
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!