Author Topic: Natural Instinct For Henry  (Read 697 times)

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Natural Instinct For Henry
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:35:55 AM »
I'm ordering a small chest freezer for the garage so that I can store raw food for Henry.  His seizures have me a bit worried and so I'm going to put him on a raw diet.  I'm thinking about Natural Instinct as that looks relatively easy to use and is a complete food.

Does anyone else use Natural Instinct, and how much should he be on per day?  The site seems to suggest about 300gms.  Henry is a bit over weight - 18kgs - as he is not getting as much exercise as he should since my knee problem.  Also, what meats do you feed?  Do you mix and offer a variety, or do you stick to one type?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Natural Instinct For Henry
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »
William and Louis have Natural Instinct some of the time and it's what I started them on when I switched to raw feeding. I'm a bit more adventurous now with their feeding but NI is really good stuff.

The usual guidelines are to feed between 2 and 3% of ideal bodyweight. I started William on 2.5% of his bodyweight (he was ideal weight already) and he put on a bit of weight so I reduced the food slightly. It was different for Louis initially as he was still a puppy. I find that William needs just over 2% of ideal bodyweight, and Louis, although not as active as William, needs 2.5% :dunno:. In addition they both get a few treats everyday.

If you think Henry's ideal weight is 15kgs (just as an example) I'd suggest trying him on 2.5% of that -
15,000 gms x 2.5% = 375gms, or you could try 2% which would be 300gms. It's just a case of trying it and monitoring his weight.

I tend to stick to the Working Chicken or Working Turkey as they're the cheapest (no VAT). I sometimes buy a few cartons of different flavours to give them a bit of variety but frankly I don't think they notice the difference as they hoover it up so quickly :lol2:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »
NI looks great but is quite expensive. I've mentioned this before somewhere but here's a link to a site that looks very reasonable and has a starter pack to get you going.

http://rawtogo.co.uk/

Don't feed raw myself but I found it when I was considering it.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »
Hi Robbie, I use Natural Instinct (working variety) it is very simple to use, you just need to defrost the tub and weigh out the portion required.
As you know, Charlie is only tiny, about 10kg and he has 200 - 250 grams a day. I give more/less depending on how active he has been.
I buy whichever is on offer, he has the same things most days, he does have the occasional bone as a treat, he has never said no!
I did but those blocks you get from PAH first though, to check he liked raw, as I didn't want to spend alot of money and find he didn't eat it.
Hope that helps.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:29:31 AM »
I think NI is a good choice to start with and as Elaine says you can always add other things and make changes later on if you so wish. I would add variety in fact it really is needed in a raw diet. I sure it seems a little confusing when first starting to feed raw but it does all fall into place quite quickly. It won't be long before you wishing you had done it years ago. Good luck.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:43:36 AM »
Albion will send you samples, the company have a good reputation. Worth a look

www.albionmeatproductspershore.co.uk/
We supply raw dog food, pet food, treats and accessories to dog breeders and wholesalers. A comprehensive delivery service in England. Call 01386 554 095.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010