Author Topic: Dog screaming the middle of night  (Read 1425 times)

Offline annG

Dog screaming the middle of night
« on: May 02, 2020, 12:47:44 AM »
Spencer three nights ago had a screaming fit at 3am. was very stressed. Vet couldn't find any thing wrong but gave antibiotics .He did settle down but at a loss to what was wrong.
Has anybody ever came across this .
I do feel that he had a terrible pain...
:)
JAFFA!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Dog screaming the middle of night
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 06:45:48 AM »
Oh dear, that must have been frightening. Its very hard to even hazard a guess without much to go on, but if he‘s otherwise happy and healthy and the vet couldn‘t find anything, it was possibly just a one off, maybe a cramp or a trapped nerve? Could he have been wandering around and trodden on anything or got himself or something trapped?  Any wasps around that could have stung him? My Humphrey does tend to be very melodramatic, he doesn‘t know „ouch“, its always a dull throttle scream if anything pains him, if even for a second. I would just keep any eye out for any signs of swelling or injury but other than that, you‘ll probably never know. :shades:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 07:16:13 AM »
Must have been very scary for you! Did he scream for a long time before he settled? Mine has howled in her sleep and woken up confused, but never screamed. Did you see him when he was doing it? Just asking because if he licked or bit at himself that could give a hint at where the pain was or if he was fully "there" and awake.

I hope it was a one time thing, like suggested. Sometimes that happens. My dog has had a strange pain reaction or two in her life that I could never explain. Hope you don't have to experience it again! Good call getting him checked at the vets!

Did the vet explain why he gave antibiotics? With the resistance problems of today antibiotics should not be used without any indication, so that was an odd choice. Not something you need to worry about now of course, just important for us all to be aware of and ask vets and doctors about if they don't provide a reason for using antibiotics.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 10:20:30 AM »
Without wishing to minimise his, or your distress, but I'm wondering if a 'screaming fit' is an apt description.  Maybe you could give us some more details?

Jack has a random tendency to do his world-class Hound Of The Baskervilles impression in the middle of the night and scared the bejeezus out of me the first couple of times.  I almost had to change the sheets...  He's always fine and probably just as confused as me.  No doubt just a nightmare.  I must be due one soon as he's not bothered for a while...

Offline annG

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 07:06:37 PM »
It was a shrill very scary scream , He's nine year old and it was like he was in a lot of pain....
 His vet as I said could not find any thing only a high temperature...  there was one thaing he has a very dry nose, and can't Bare to much it. thinking he got a sting got infected..and hit it in his sleep.  thankfully seems to be getting better..
Because his noes is so dry i started to put a little Live oil on..Its helping.
:)
JAFFA!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 07:28:04 PM »
Ok, so the antibiotics were maybe in case the temperature indicated an infection. Glad he is feeling better!

Stings can be very painful. My dog stepped on a wasp once and I had to carry her home from the park. She is normally a tough dog when it comes to pain, but I think she got scared and did not understand what caused the pain.

I use a snout balm for dry doggie nose. My dog gets a really dry nose at the end of winter usually every year. I laughed when I found out the product exists, but it's good to have on hand actually.