Author Topic: Vet charges  (Read 3632 times)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Vet charges
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 01:32:57 PM »
You’d think replacing a slipped staple in a small wound would be included, a ten second job, would be included. Receptionist asked for £30! Daughter said she couldn’t afford it( with two babies and granny in tow), and had assumed it was part of the first repair.  The girl spoke to the vet, who came out and said no fee , and none for the follow up removal.  Very kind of him, but I bet he had to delete it from the computer records or the company would be down on him.
We want to do the best for our pets, you can understand how some people who don’t qualify for or can’t get to  PDSA,  leave things too long.  My rescue dog was an example of this, 28 teeth had to be removed, and he had associated pneumonia. Cost me a lot, but after years, I’ve found an independent one man vet, who is cheaper, and has queues out the door.
The staple charging practice is usually deserted.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline miajemima

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »
Of course ill pay if that's how things go, thankfully Mia hadn't had to go to vets since her knee ops as a pup so I'm a bit out of touch with charges, she has been ok over the weekend, legs just a bit stiff now so I am assuming it's arthritis and hopefully be able to sort out pain relief. Thanks for all the helpful replies.  :D

Offline Darwin

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 05:53:35 PM »
One of the problems is that in the UK we are usually totally unaware of medical costs because of the NHS.  Where as in the US there is a great understanding of medical costs because of the insurance system or lack of. As result people in the US do not complain about the costs of seeing the Vet.

How much do you think the true costs would be  appointment with  GP.  The cost of the building, the support staff, the IT systems, the GP’s time based on 7 years training etc. Probably about £150