Author Topic: Finn- 1yr old working cocker with The Spaniel Trust  (Read 12302 times)

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
Finn- 1yr old working cocker with The Spaniel Trust
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:05:58 PM »
Finn is now looking for his forever home after a month of assessment with me. He is a 15 month old liver and tan working cocker who originally came from a puppy farm in Central Scotland. He is most likely a mix between show type and working type as he has characteristics and looks of both. He is a total sweetheart and has the most gorgeous big brown eyes than melt your heart instantly. He loves to get cuddles and have his belly rubbed.

Finn requires a special home with no kids and no teens either. An experienced home with knowledge of cockers or other spaniels is essential and preferably a knowledge of spaniels with behavioural issues. Finn was rehomed due to biting young children in his previous home and we also know that he has bitten several adults in the past. From his assessment I believe his trigger is being possessive of people. He has not been aggressive towards us physically in his time here but we have seen that he stresses out sometimes if he feels someone, whether dog or human, is entering his space if he is sitting on or beside one of us. This is usually on the sofa or bed so we now have a no bed rule and he is only allowed on the sofa is nobody else is sitting there. It would propbably be best if he is kept of all furniture. With the right management there is no need for him to escalate his stress into biting and advice will be given to help any new family work out the best way to cope. Non-confrontational methods to avert his stress works well with him. To me he is not a problem dog but he does need an experienced home where his environment is carefully managed and the full extent of his capabilities are understood. He has settled well here and now that I understand how he works he poses no threat as I know I can avoid any potential problems from arising. On a day to day basis Finn is a perfectly normal dog but any new home must understand that he comes with a history.

Finn would be best suited to an active older couple or single person with one or two other dogs who can keep him in his place. He gets on fine with my own dogs (after the inital settling in period) and loves to play fight with fellow youngsters. He has spent lots of time at doggy daycare where I work and this has helped him learn doggy social skills. Finn loves to play with toys especially nylabones and tennis balls! He does not like to be left alone for long so a home where someone is around most of the time would be best.

Finn has little recall so needs to be walked on a lead (he's used to an extendi and walks to heel on a normal lead reasonably well after the first 5 mins). He has been let offlead in secure areas and does not run away but pays absolutely no attention to where you are and is in full working mode, head down sniffing & tail wagging. He will need at least 1 hours exercise a day but preferably 2-3 hours. In terms of other training Finn is progressing slowly. He is clever but is not keen to learn. With time and patience he will become much better. He knows sit, paw, down, stay, leave, drop and quiet! Whether he does things when asked is another question...

Finn travels well, eats dry, wet and raw food and likes meeting new people including kids. He has been fine with all visitors to the house. He is housetrained but has had the odd accident overnight.... usually because he prefers following scents in the garden last thing at night rather than peeing!! He has barked rather excitedly at cats so probably not cat friendly but this could be tested further if need be. Finn is neutered, microchipped and fully vaccinated.

If you think you can offer Finn his forever home please contact The Spaniel Trust  at http://www.spanieltrust.com/

Update 25/9 : Finn is doing well and his training is coming along nicely. He has now been let offlead on a long line on several times on walks and has always come back to us after roaming for a few minutes. Like most working cockers he likes to cover a lot of ground but I would now say he can be let offlead in very safe areas ie country parks, beaches where there are no dangers such as roads (and as long as you have plenty time on your hands!). His general training in the home is going well too and he is very well behaved. He does well with a routine and is probably better behaved than my own spaniels a lot of the time!!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
Re: Finn- 1yr old working cocker with The Spaniel Trust
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:07:21 PM »
He is absolutely gorgeous. I hope he finds an understanding forever home soon.

Offline Dakota Rose

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:17:57 PM »
Best of Luck Finn finding your forever home. You really are a handsome boy. :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:39:12 PM »
He is divine - how about I swop for the children  :-\  ;)

Seriously, I hope Finn finds his perfect home soon as he looks  :luv: :luv:

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »
OMdoG he looks so much like Jagger.   :luv: :luv: :luv:  I hope the right owner(s) come along soon.

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »
He is so gorgeous.  :luv:
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:23:44 PM »
oooh another stunner :luv: I would but I have another choccky boy I have to collect from Wales on Tuesday. :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 10:27:42 PM »
oooh another stunner :luv: I would but I have another choccky boy I have to collect from Wales on Tuesday. :D

really pleased for you, surely Mrs TB wouldn't notice 2 new arrivals though  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 08:17:09 PM »
Hope Finn finds his forever home soon, he is a handsome chap  :luv:
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 08:48:11 PM »
Sounds like Finn has come on well, I hope he finds his forever home soon  :luv:

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 09:53:04 PM »
He is gorgeous  :luv: I'd love to have him, but Rio and Rox are enough for the mo! Hope he finds a 5* home soon  :D

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »
If only I was at home more Id have him, my lot are used to having an extra ( I have one at the moment but she goes home tommorrow), but as I work  full time he would be left for fairly long periods ( albeit in a 5 star dog run  with a view of a duckpond with ducks and geese,run complete with rabbits and phezzies visiting.. ;)) and I wouldnt be about to give him that little extra help he needs.  however when I retire I will most certainly be looking at rescues then.
 he is only young so should find that special forever home soon.
 :luv:

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 10:18:17 PM »
Hmmm - tempted to get rid of kids to take him in.....
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 08:58:46 AM »
 :luv: :luv: :luv: i just love his pouty lip :luv: :005: I'm sure this boy will get a very special home. :luv:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »
Aw, Finn is lovley! I hope he find a understanding new family soon.

And, just had to add, Yay for Mark and Alfie. Hope all goes well for you guys!