Author Topic: cocker spaniel wanted  (Read 1700 times)

Offline donna.b1975

cocker spaniel wanted
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »
hi im new to this forum i live in herts and im desperate to rehome a cocker spaniel ,i have been in touch with cocker rescue and they wont let me rescue a dog as i have a child under 7!!! i have 2 kids a 14 yr old and a nearly 4 yr old so if anyone can help or has a cocker that is suitable for me and my family can you please let me know ...dont want a puppy would ideally like a 2 to 3 yr old any sex and colour its the tempremant i need please get in touch my names donna xx

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: cocker spaniel wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:13:24 PM »
Hi, I had the same problem.  I have 2 daughters aged 5 and 6 years old and the majority of the rescue centres are reluctant to rehome most dogs to families with children under a certain age because they can't be sure of the dog's temperament/previous history etc.  Understandable for the safety of all concerned.  We therefore had to find a good breeder for a pup so we could bring it up with younger children and shape their personality so to speak.  Saying that, it's been very hard work having a pup and young children, it's a good job I'm at home all day!  I'm sure people will give you some good advice on here, good luck with it!  ;)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline donna.b1975

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:55:14 PM »
yeah thats why i dont want a puppy i want a lovely little dog thats fell on hard times and wants a forever home with me and my family!!!! i really would love a cocker spaniel i have done lots of reading up on the breed and they have lovely natures and tempraments with kids ......and not 1 rescue place or dog centre will rehome a dog to me with a nearly 4 yr old ... thanks for your reply and i await some info xxx

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:20:57 PM »
Although not rescues, you could try asking breeders if they have any older dogs who have retired from the ring and would love to be an only dog rather than one of many.
These dogs usually have fantastic temperaments, are house/lead trained, vaccinated, wormed etc.  As they have been ex-show dogs they will have been well looked after but just need a family of their own in retirement. :D
These dogs don't come under ' a little dog that fell on hard times' heading but might be a consideration for your family.

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline donna.b1975

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »
that is something i would defo consider ,have you any contacts or know of any breeders if you could pass on some info my way i would be very gratefull???? many thanks xxx

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
Hiya,

I found a 2 yr old dog to rehome through her breeder - although she was a effectively a private rehome as her family hadn't quite realised what they were taking on. She had grown up with kids (my son was 4 at the time) and although she had other issues, I met her in her home and saw her with the family and knew that she'd be fine with children and she was ok with my then 4 month old cocker pup and knew I could work on anything else (She's a Weimaraner not a cocker though!)

It took a long time to find her and I had to walk away from a fair few dogs but it's important to find the right dog for you and your family. It's worth researching breeders online, firing out a load of emails and going to shows to meet some also and eventually you'll find your dog ;)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline mooching

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 04:30:31 PM »
that is something i would defo consider ,have you any contacts or know of any breeders if you could pass on some info my way i would be very gratefull???? many thanks xxx

Did you receive the email I sent you an hour or so ago?

Offline sarahbe

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 06:42:05 PM »
I got my gorgeous boy from a breeder- she had been keeping him on to show bot he got a little too tall. He is fabulous! Puppies that the show breeders have kept on are great as they have had some ring training and are often calm!

Offline mooching

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:21:07 PM »
I got my gorgeous boy from a breeder- she had been keeping him on to show bot he got a little too tall. He is fabulous! Puppies that the show breeders have kept on are great as they have had some ring training and are often calm!

I agree. I got my Cavalier boy when he was 7 months old - he was the only one that the breeder had kept from the litter, and he had already been shown in puppy classes, was crate trained, good in the car, housetrained - a real breeze (as well as a real sweetie).