Author Topic: Searching for a new companion for my grandfather -  (Read 644 times)

Offline Christine H-Hamer

Searching for a new companion for my grandfather -
« on: January 01, 2012, 04:05:37 PM »
Hello all,

I am looking for a dog for my grandfather. He is is good health bar a few issues with arthritis and the early onset of alzheimer's. He is on medication for both and has just had an assessment by the NHS (Dec 2011) and has been passed as perfectly capable of remaining in his own home with no assistance.
He has had two previous cocker spaniels his last dog unfortunately passed away earlier this year shortly followed by my grandmother. He is now alone for long periods of time and has expressed a keen interest in getting a new dog for company.

My grandfather lives in a nice bungalow with a private garden. He is home all day and so can commit fully to the care any rescued animal may need. His previous vet is more than happy to carry on looking after any animal he gets and insurance will also be taken out.
Although my grandfather is to be the sole carer he will have help from several family members if required for visits to the vets and any emergencies that may happen.

I am looking for a gentle dog aged between 3 - 7 years although a younger dog would be fine if it was of a quiet and not excitable character. I think it is important that any dog is of a gentle temperament and happy with short walks and plenty of cuddles.
Although it is not a regular occurrence, the great grandchildren may visit and so the dog should be comfortable around children under 5. I would also like it if at all possible that the dog be good on the lead, although training will always be available, as my grandfather uses a stick when taking walks.

He lives in Banbury, Oxfordshire and no longer drives and as he is a little older long car journeys can be quite tiring and so we would only be able to visit if the drive was under an hour.

I look forward to hearing from you if you would be willing to consider him as a prospective home for one of your dogs.

Offline SJP

• Site Member
Re: Searching for a new companion for my grandfather -
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 05:38:58 PM »
Maybe look at the Oldies Club?
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Searching for a new companion for my grandfather -
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 06:23:13 PM »
We don't rehome dogs on the COL forum itself but if you keep an eye on this board there are threads posted about Cockers in rescues all over the UK almost every day. If you see one that you're interested in you can then contact the rescue directly, details are posted on each thread about where the dog is located.

Good luck finding a companion for your Grandfather although I would say that Cockers are generally active little dogs and perhaps it would be advisable to look for an older dog (7 years +) or even perhaps some other breeds/types of dog given that he wants a quiet, non-excitable dog and can only manage shorter walks. When looking for a dog in a situation like this it can help not to get too focussed on a specific breed and more to look for an individual dog that has the traits you're looking for. The Dog Pages forum is a good place to look for rescue dogs - http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/